Chrono's Genetics Training

Let's Share! has (finally) launched! Our first article is a World of Tanks Guide by Enderclaw!
Check out this announcement about a new Power Reset item being added to the Inventory Store!
  • That's actually a really good question. I never looked into what differentiates the two colors but from my own experience, I tend to see solid chocolate cats has having dark-brown hues vs a brown tabby which is lighter and their stripes harder to find. As for chocolate and brown tabbies, i've noticed chocolate tabby tend to have lighter fur with darker, defined stripes while brown tabbies don't, they are more mixed and harder to spot. But that is just want I noticed. ^^

As for using them with genotypes, brown is represented by B (which is also black) because when a black cat has tabby marking, it becomes known as a brown tabby. Chocolate is represented by b.

you're my waking thought,

( my sweetest dream )

and everything in between.

• A brown tabby has black stripes on a brown (or sometimes gray or tan) "background". Basically, it is a black tabby, but it's named after the background color instead of the stripe color, because it was named before cat genetics were studied.

A chocolate tabby has dark brown stripes on a tan or beige background, and a cinnamon tabby has reddish brown stripes on a reddish beige background.

For ticked tabbies, which don't have stripes (or spots or blotches), you can tell the genetic color from the tailtip, the line down the back, and the forehead M-marking. In a brown ticked tabby, those markings will all be black or very dark brown.

Want your characters' kids to have realistic fur colors? Check out the Genetics Center!
    Cats, lions, dogs, horses, rats, parrots - whatever the species is, there's probably a geneticist who can do the litter. We can also do genetics for realistic hybrid litters (check the list of realistic pairings linked in the sticky at the top of the board).
    If you want more options for a litter, just let us know!

• yep!

Want your characters' kids to have realistic fur colors? Check out the Genetics Center!
    Cats, lions, dogs, horses, rats, parrots - whatever the species is, there's probably a geneticist who can do the litter. We can also do genetics for realistic hybrid litters (check the list of realistic pairings linked in the sticky at the top of the board).

• you're my waking thought,

( my sweetest dream )

• Sorry for the double post but here's corrections + lesson 3 and 4!

• you're my waking thought,

( my sweetest dream )

• So a new allele of the albinism gene was discovered in Thailand. It's called Mocha, symbol cm, and it is codominant with both point and sepia. The cats have medium light bodies with slightly darker points, green to aqua eyes, and light "eyebrow"/"glasses" looking markings over/around their eyes.