Scales of Fire & Magic [Private Eragon]

• IC:

“That explains the deer.” I wouldn’t say I was surprised that Utori had planned my removal. Though I wasn’t fond of the thought of her forgetting I was on her back and crush me when she laid down. She may have been mad at me, but we both knew she could never stay mad at me for very long. We were a team after all, and closely bonded through our ordeals. If she never forgave me, I doubt we’d be as effective as we were.

I placed my palm against the short grass, the morning dew making the blades damp. As I started to push myself to sit up, something hard and heavy hit my side, sending me back down onto my back with a huff. Ok, that hurt a little. I always prided myself on fast reflexes and I rolled to my hands and knees with the momentum of the fall, head swiveling for the attacker. What did I see? A happy little dragon prancing away. My face held shock at first, but soon softened into a smile and a laugh escaped me.

“Little devil!” I mused, plopping back down on my behind. I should’ve seen the little guy coming. Perhaps I wasn’t as observant as I thought? Maybe it was just the sleep. I took the wrapped food when it was handed to me, my stomach growling at just a glance at it. I wasted no time to dig in. Alright, it wasn’t as bad as I thought. She was half decent at preparing food, had to admit. I nodded my thanks to the woman, and when she sat down next to me, I had a bad feeling I was about to get scolded or something. What else was new? It was not what I expected.

I threw a glare at my dragon immediately at the mention of wards. You told her?

Her amber eyes met mine as she sat down, tail wrapping neatly around her feet. You take no caution. I thought she would talk sense into you.

With a groan, I turned my attention back to Diria, pulling a knee up to lean my forearm against as I ate. “You are not ready to control a ward, let alone cast one,” I took another bite of the leathery meat. “It’s meant to protect your mind from those who wish to find you or invade it. My energy wasn’t taken from warding you, but it was from warding myself.” I swallowed the meat and took another bite. “The king knows I’m gone. He’s looking for me. Each time he tries it hits my defenses. I can handle it.”

“The bond is more complicated to explain,” I paused to think of where to begin. This was an easier topic to talk about. I held up my right hand to show off the spiral mark left on the palm. “This mark is the Gedwëy ignasia, and it’s the physical symbol of the bond upon being chosen. It’s where you channel your magic, like the healing spells I casted. Your minds connected when he hatched, and bonded you for life. So long as he lives...you’re immortal.“ It was a crazy thought, to be immortal. To live forever and see what the world has to offer while staying young. Yet being a Forsworn...that was a different story.

“You get faster and stronger, not as much as the elves of course, and access to magic. The dragons were always magical creatures, but they could never use it.” I finished up my breakfast before I got to the unpleasant parts. “But it has downfalls. The king used to use pain to train me, but he didn’t hurt me. He hurt Utori, and I obeyed. This was only if I wouldn’t listen, but it hurt...you can feel their pain, and their death. I’ve never heard of a dragon living after the Rider dies...but a Rider has a chance to live if the dragon dies. Galbatorix lost his dragon when he was young and was driven mad. Most Riders lose their minds and their morals if they aren’t strong enough.”

OOC:

• I listened without interrupting as Ashver answered both of my questions. I could tell he did not like the fact that Utori had told me about the wards. Was he planning to keep them a secret from me? I was beginning to suspect so, and this made me uneasy. What else was he keeping from me? And why? However, I did not allow my concern to cross my face. I would not let this man know anything. I still did not trust him. Yes, I suppose he had promised not to hurt me, and he had rescued me, but he was hiding something. What it was, I had no idea. But it left a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach. Once he fell silent, I sighed and glanced off to the side as I processed everything he had told me. I could not argue with him about the wards. I knew nothing of magic. How could I expect to control something I knew nothing about? And if it drained energy, as he said, something told me it would lead to my death if I could not control it. I decided I would not push that point, not yet anyway. But as for the dragon...

"So, if I am understanding you correctly, the dragon becomes a part of their rider in a sense. They feel what the other feels, can communicate with each other, that sort of thing. And that bond runs so deep that when one dies, so does the other." I looked back over at Ashver. I was trying to get a read on what he was thinking and feeling. Everything he told me was hard to grasp. It did not make sense. It seemed impossible. Yet, I had already felt some of the things he had told me about. I already had a faint sense of Aldr all the time. And then there was the mark... I glanced down at my hand. I could remember that night very well when I got that mark. I had been terrified, and that month of trying to hide it had been agony. I had no had to worry about it these past three months. I had no one to hide it from. Sighing, I pulled the sleeve up to cover the mark once more. "You said the king's dragon died," I looked back at Ashver, "so I am assuming that means the dragon he has now is not his dragon. Obviously, there is some kind of bond there, else the king would not still be alive. So how? How can that bond be formed?"

Even as I was talking, I noticed Aldr approaching from the corner of my eye. He chirped as he reached me. I reached over, stroking his chin. He closed his eyes before laying down beside him. I lowered my legs from my chest, and he rested his head on my lap. I glanced down at him. Something felt like it was breaking inside of me. "How...how long does it take for the dragons to be able to communicate?" I asked hesitatingly. Aldr was nearing five months old. I had never once heard his voice inside of my head. I glanced back at Ashver. I wondered if he could sense how nervous I was. How scared I was. "Aldr is nearly five months. I...I've never been able to communicate with him."

The Rarest Cat In The World...Yet No One Cares

Amur Leopard

• IC:

I was absentmindedly nodding in reply to her assumptions. It wasn’t that I was growing bored or trying to avoid the subject, I just had a lot more on my mind than understanding how dragons connected with us Riders. Like the king for example. If he was trying to scry me, it meant that I wouldn’t be able to stay hidden forever. I didn’t doubt my own abilities with magic, but he was far stronger than I even if I’ve never fought him in direct combat. His willpower alone was enough to break me...I hoped he would forget about me, but how could he forget his only apprentice and Forsworn? No doubt he’d send someone after us soon, one of his magicians or dark creatures most likely. With Diria the way she was, it would be difficult to fend them off, especially once they got sight of her.

I didn’t realize I was rubbing at my head until she finished her last sentence. I blinked, trying to recall what she said, a red blush coming to my cheeks. Ok, maybe I didn’t hear half of what she said after the first comment.

“I don’t know,” A horrible answer, Ash, utterly embarrassing. “I guess when a dragon’s ready to speak. Aldr is still a child after all.” Ugh, I was terrible at this teaching thing. One moment I know everything and the next I’m at a blank. I wasn’t even finished my own training. What mess did I get myself into?

“I’d prefer not to talk about the king anymore.”

OOC:

• To say I was disappointed was an understatement. I did not bother to try to hide the frustration on my face as I stood up swiftly, causing Aldr to jump in surprise. I paced over to the edge of our little camp, my back to Ashver. I crossed my arms. Was he just purposely trying to ignore my every question? It was not my fault I knew nothing. I had been a...another person like any other up until I found that egg. I had not even known that was what it was when I brought it back. I had just assumed it was another, though large, stone. I had never been more wrong in my life. I heard myself sighting heavily. I needed to get in control of myself, yet I did not want to. I did not want to ward off my frustration or anger. I wanted to put it to use. It was what I was good at, wasn't it? A soft nudge broke me from my thoughts. I glanced down and sighed when I saw a pair of dark, shining eyes looking up at me. For a moment, we just looked at each other. What secrets was that little devil holding? It gave me an idea.

I looked over my shoulder at Ashver. "You said you would teach me," I said slowly, "so teach me. If not magic or anything else, then how to fight with a sword. You clearly know how, and I will need to be able to defend myself should it come to that." Not should, but when. I turned around to face him completely while keeping my arms crossed in defiance. I was not back down, not this time. I was determined to learn something from the man after going through the trouble of saving his life.

Amur Leopard

• IC:

I pushed myself to my feet slowly, gazing carefully at her back. She was mad at me again wasn’t she? I set my jaw and looped a thumb through my belt, shifting my weight to one leg. I could feel this was going to be a trend in the time I spent with her. I wasn’t really surprised by what she said next, I sorta expected it. Utori called me a bad teacher, and I had my own doubts, but I never said I wasn’t going to try. If I couldn’t help her, this girl would end up dead in a couple months, if not sooner. That, and I sorta felt guilty if I were to leave. I swear that tiny hatchling of hers would track me down.

“You lack discipline,” I stated, walking towards her and bringing my arms up to cross over my chest. I was brought up to be a soldier, already wired to fight and obey. She seemed more like a free spirit to me. A free spirit who would end up being a pain in the butt. “But we can work on that. You’ll have to listen to what I say and not rush off abruptly if you don’t like my teaching methods.” I doubted they would be anything like the riders of old. Was I even a true rider myself?

“We’ll...obtain a sword when we reach the city. We can start with basic combat when we leave. But you have to listen to everything I say, no questions. Deal?”

OOC:

Sorry for not doing anything ;o; I swear I didn’t ditch it. Blame work

• [no worries. I understand about work plenty myself]

His teaching methods? What had I gotten myself into? I was agreeing to not only stay with but learn from someone I barely knew. I was beginning to think I had gone insane. But then again, what choice did I have? I had Aldr to think about. I needed to be able to defend him, and yesterday only served as a reminder that I knew nothing about defending myself. How I could I protect him if I could not even protect myself? The truth was I couldn't, and I knew that far too well. I slowly nodded, though I had to fight the urge to say something I shouldn't. "Fine, but I will ask questions to make sure I understand." That was all he was going to get. I was a naturally curious person. Questions came with me. It was how I learned, and he would just have to get over it.

Aldr suddenly chirped, drawing my attention to him. He had made his way over to Utori. He was playing around in the grass beside her. It looked like he had found himself a mouse and wasn't sure what to do with it. Now that I thought about it, I guess he never had seen a mouse before. How, I had no idea. Without taking my eyes off of the little dragon, I told Ashver softly, "Four months ago, I was just another slave girl, Ashver. I cannot control what I was never taught or exposed to." We came from two different worlds. I had no idea how I would ever learn to be apart of his. I was barely apart of my own. I did not wait for his response as I walked over to the horse. I pulled out a brush from my bag and began to dust him off. I had been neglecting to, and the horse did not deserve that. If not for it, I would not be where I was now.

"Unless you have gold I don't know about, we won't have the money to get everything we need," I said without turning around. I was mainly just talking as I thought anyway. "The sword I am not so worried about. It will be easy to find and steal. Armor will be a bit more of a problem." I suddenly paused as another thought hit me. Why I hadn't I thought about it before? "If there is a healer in town, though, we might be able to make some gold. I have a few valuable herbs left that a healer would pay nicely for. It won't be much, probably not even enough to buy a sword, but it will be a start." I had nabbed the herbs for that purpose, but I had never risked going into a town. Not with Aldr. I was not wiling to leave him by himself, and he was too big to hide in a bag anymore. I sighed as I put the brush away. We needed to get moving.

Amur Leopard

• IC:

A nervous laugh escaped me and I found my eyes trying to look anywhere else but her at her mention of gold. “Yeah...gold...” I rubbed the back of my head awkwardly. I had gold, plenty of it too, it just...wasn’t here. It was back home at the castle. Nice going there Ash. But I didn’t plan on using gold anyway. Okay, so the shopping list I didn’t intend to pay for; a horse, new armor for us both, a sword, maybe some other stuff. I had an idea how to get them, but she wouldn’t like it. My eyes wandered to Utori, who was watching the hatchling curiously, and the saddlebag she carried. Wasn’t like my insignia of the king would have any weight...hah...hah.

I admit pulling the card of being a trusted minion of the king wasn’t the most honorable, and was probably worse than stealing, but I doubted her herbs were worth enough to get even a piece of armor.

I cleared my throat. “Alright, so you sell your plants and I’ll...you know, acquire the rest.”

OOC:

• His statement drew me to a stop. I looked over my shoulder at Ashver as the pieces fall into place. "You plan to get that stuff by telling people you work for the king, aren't you?" I didn't need him to answer. I could tell. I shook my head as I finished packing. I didn't like it. I didn't like the idea of taking from people who were already struggling, who were already barely getting by. But something told me we did not have a choice. I didn't have the gold, and I suspected Ashver didn't either. But we needed the stuff. I tied the bags to the horse's saddle after saddling him. I looked over at Ashver once more. I was worried. We were close to the city. Too close to meet up again if Ashver decided to fly on Utori. But I only had the one horse, and he didn't have one at all. Before I could say anything, Aldr flew over to me. He had grown bored with his play, which was not uncommon. He landed on the horse's back, and I reached over to stroke his chin. He chirped in delight, and I felt that familiar pain.

"What's the plan after we get everything?" I asked. I could really use a night in a bed after having spent months sleeping on the ground. But I would not leave Aldr all night long either. Yesterday had been far too hard for my liking. I did not want to be away from him like that again. I wasn't even sure how I was going to make it today without him at my side. I knew he was fine with Utori. I had the feeling the older dragon would protect him as though he was her own. But I wasn't sure I would be fine. I forced myself to look away from him and to Ashver. Sometimes, I swear he could see right through me. It was unnerving.

Amur Leopard