KINDLED YOUTH // hurricanegaze

We've done a few more changes to the site you can read about HERE
  • The new territory was still something strange to her. Sure, it hadn't been all that long since they had settled, but perhaps part of her hoped that she would have grown to recognize at least parts of it by now. It wasn't quite home yet, but she was determined to make it so. Why? She couldn't quite say, other than the inevitability of the fact, but perhaps some part of her soul yearned to feel like she did before in the old territory. When she was high up in a tree with the warmth of a setting's sun ray on her back, where she felt as free as a bird and yet as grounded as a tree itself, whose roots grew so deep into the earth that no being could ever hope to dig it up. But this was not quite that yet. This still held unfamiliarity. And as she stood with her paws hesitantly on that invisible border between the heart of the SkyClan camp and the rest of the territory out there, she could feel her heart pinging for that tree of hers.

And so she did a very brave thing. Her head turned from the way ahead to those behind her, to the heart of the camp and the figures to be seen. The first of which her dual-colored eyes landed on was to be her intended victim. A man she didn't know all that well except for in passing, but knew at least enough to know he was kind. Perhaps that would seem such a very miniscule descriptor to put one's faith in, but for one whose trust was so rarely won over with any real certainty, it showed the ounces of faith that she put in that silver-furred tom. Hurricanegaze. There was something about him that had always been a little bit inviting. Maybe it was because he was kind, but even that never seemed to quite fit. He was scarred, and as complex as the rest of them, but perhaps he felt like some sort of caretaker. Perhaps his work in the garden was being projected. But he was someone worth giving a chance, and for Gentlewish, that was a very big thing indeed. "Uhm, Hurricanegaze? she called out softly, "...I don't suppose you would want to go walking with me? Only... I'm still not very... sure about this place and I don't want to get lost," her ears flattened back with the softest hint of embarrassment, though whether out of having to ask for someone to hold her paw and walk her around the territory, or for the fact she was even saying anything at all in the first place was quite uncertain, "and I was.. maybe hoping that... you might tell me more about your garden? Or at least... talk?"

FINDING OUT HOW FAR LOVE CAN GO

trad. skyclan warrior currently blind tags penned by hanele

• It's her. That's his first thought when a soft voice interrupts his oh so very important staring at his seeds. One might think that was a joke, but it was actually quite serious. If he turned away for too long, a squirrel or mouse or something might run up and steal his precious seeds up before they even sprouted. But for her, he would walk away from them. One of his other clanmates would probably be out here, and that would be enough. She asks him to walk around with him and all he could do was stare at her. Each word that dropped out her mouth was ever so precious to him, finding it more satisfying than taking down prey for the first time in weeks. He watched her as she spoke so elegantly, even waiting for a few moments to make sure she was finished. He'd be upset with himself if he even missed one word that came out of the beauty's mouth. So he gets up for her almost instantly after she finishes. "I'd love to go out walking with you." No lie would be found in his carefully thought out words. "Do you... care to hear about the garden?" He wouldn't want to speak on something that she had no interest in.

WOULDN'T YOU LIKE TO KNOW, WEATHER BOY?

former mediator — senior warrior — roleplayed by zhar!

• He was staring at her, and while she would normally shy away, she did suppose that she was talking on a little bit more than she needed to, stumbling over words and excuses about not wanting to walk alone, about bugging him and his garden, about being too much of a scaredy-cat to go out alone in case she got lost in a place with defined borders and landmarks. But it was Hurricanegaze. In any thing she had ever seen that man do, she knew that he wouldn't mind. He certainly must have had some sort of patience like a saint, some grand StarClan cat that had bestowed that gift on him for some reason or another. And as he agreed, she felt herself let out a slight breath of relief as a smile spread over her features. But, she instead dipped her head in warm thanks instead of speaking any more than she already had, pausing half a beat before she began to lead the way forward, trusting he wouldn't be far behind. "Yes," she agreed again softly as he questioned her once more about his precious garden, her gaze briefly swiveling towards him. "I'd love to hear about it. I know it's... special to a lot of you."

• He bounded after her, desperate to keep up with her. He wouldn't want to be left behind alone without her. No one had ever really asked him about it so he was excited to tell her. "Well, the lavender was planted for Lavenderstar, of course. I had to go out for a few hours to find the perfect plant. Not many people know this but she was actually named after her dad's favorite flower. Well, that's what Blackbird said anyway." He checked her face to try to see if he was going on too long. "Then the marigold was for Heronstar because it was her favorite. That one I found in a twoleg garden and brought it back. The juniper was for Juniperstar cause of his name. That was just around in the forest." He stopped, looking back at her. "I'm rambling, aren't I?"

• Gentlewish smiled over at him slightly when he was quick to fall into place besides her, giving a nod as he began, but her gaze quickly moved to the paths ahead, watching where they were going while they spoke. Or rather, he spoke and she listened, which was a perfectly beautiful arrangement for her. It was what she often preferred, and to hear Hurricanegaze speak of something he was so clearly fond of, and proud of even, made her all that more happy. And he had good reason to be proud. He had put in the effort to make a memorial to people that were special to him. Leaders, sure, but... Gentlewish had always found that there were ways that people spoke about each other. With her and her mentor, she had learned where the deciet lay within honey-sweet and reassuring words, what secrets she now kept locked deep within herself and never to speak of again. Her mother, she knew, spoke so fondly of her, not out of any malicious intent to pressure her into something, but out of true admiration and love for her child to succeed. It was the same for her brother too, but she never doubted among any prickles of self-doubt or worry about those expectations that she was not anything but loved to her mother's fullest extent.

So with Hurricanegaze, it wasn't just Lavanderstar or Heronstar or Juniperstar. It was people that he knew, or knew of enough to have an opinion; they were people that he cared enough about to find something that related to them, and to keep it with them forever; to make such a fuss over making sure that the original source came from the old camp to this one. He had created something more beautiful than woulds could describe, words that Gentlewish would not even attempt to say.

Yet when he stopped, Gentlewish looked over to him and blinked slightly in surprise. "No.." she said softly, slowly as she shook her head gingerly, "Far from rambling, sir. It means something to you. You can't... ramble on things like that." Gentlewish was quiet for a few moments longer as they walked on and she mulled over what he had said, though it was the basics of the garden and what it meant, but it still didn't... fully get to what her thoughts had been churning over. "...What made you start the garden, with Lavenderstar? Or.. continue it, for that matter? I... must imagine you intend to continue it, in some way?"

• He released a sigh as she reassures him. He knew sometimes he could be bore or that he was talking about topics that no one cared about it so he sometimes would check to make sure. He especially didn't want to bore Gentlewish in all her glory. The silence that followed was comfortable and he didn't find himself rushing to continue the conversation as he usually did. As she opens her mouth and asks something else about the garden he can't help but notice that it meant he hadn't explained it well enough. Obviously, he understood that since he had only given her the minimum. He thinks for a moment, staring at his paws as they continue walking.

"Lavenderstar was my mentor." He says and looks back at her. Mentor doesn't even explain it. "She meant... so much to me." Was that enough to explain it? He didn't care to offer more than that as an explanation since he quite literally couldn't. Their relationship had been too complex for words to describe. "I started the garden with her originally to thank her. She um, she once planted flowers all around the camp but they died so that's how I got the idea. That was the first time I ever tended to herbs since before that..." Hurricanegaze couldn't really explain all his family trauma, at least not today in this conversation. "And then I continued it and plan to continue it until I die, because the only thing flowers do is give." He stops in his tracks.

He remembered the last time he explained that. He remembered the guy in front of him, an angry expression that pained Cane to even look at. Bune. Always back to Bune. His first true love. He remembered how Bune had been mad because Cane had left flowers for him by the border. 'Flowers are harmless things you know. They live for no ulterior motives. They survive for beauty, for health.' Cane had been younger then when he told the older male that. In fact, he wasn't even as old yet as Bune was back in those days. 'Harmless? My members were asking me if a SkyClanner - who I'm supposed to have no ties to - was leaving me flowers. What they might be for. What I knew of it. How do you think that makes me look? You think they should be looking at their leader thinking he's got some sort of somethingwith a cat from a Clan who hates us?' Embarrassed. Bune was embarrassed. Cane had explained how flowers were such a harmless thing and tried to get Bune to see that he was embarrassed not upset. After all, the famed Bloodclan leader can't be seen talking to a soft bellied Skyclan mediator.

• ♡♡♡Once again, she was content to walk and listen to him talk, a friendly smile on her maw that would be hard-pressed to shift. Regardless of what he might worry about, about boring her or whatever else thoughts ran through his mind, she was quite truly happy to listen. Gentlewish was far from the person to be the loud, center of attention kind of girl, but there was always something satisfying to listen to what someone else was excited about or interested in. To learn about people through what they enjoyed often said more about a person than their actions in the day to day. After all, anyone could fumble an interaction or say something they didn't mean, but that didn't always speak everything about them.

Still, it was interesting to hear him talk. What he wanted to tell her, what he skipped over, what he perhaps said out of politeness simply because she had asked. Lavendarstar started it all, huh? Whatever trepedation there might have been in his voice, she didn't press it, merely nodding to show that she was still paying attention. And then something changed in his voice, the way that he stopped abruptly, and for a moment, dual-colored eyes found his as she looked towards her walking partner. Her head tilted softly, considering the man before her. It couldn't have been talking about Lavenderstar, his old mentor, could it? All flowers do is give. It was such an innocent statement, though perhaps one she would agree with in sentiment, but that couldn't have been all that made him give a pause, could it? But it really wasn't her place to press it either, was it?

"I see," she said at last, allowing her smile to warm for a moment before her gaze returned to the path ahead. "I am sure that Lavenderstar would be touched by your efforts, as would the other leaders you have chosen to memorialize." But the last phrase still struck her, the way that he said it in particular. It was not a phrase that someone simply tossed out in the air so easily, not in such a way that he had. Those words... meant something, in some way, and it was a puzzle to figure out why. Sure, she could agree with the sentiment, as rightly declared before, but... what was it? "Though I do think you're quite right," she finally murmured. Well, she might not have asked directly, nor had any plans to, but she would at least entertain the conversation further. "You know... I find more and more lately that... that people don't look at what's right in front of them. They... They go on with their lives, maybe... maybe looking for pride or praise or glory; they know the sunset and admire it, but... people fail to understand these days." It was her own train of thought, one she wasn't even quite sure where she was going on- less planned out, less considered, but it was her turn to ramble in a way. A shocking fact, to be sure, for she was seldom of very few words at all. "We have become... more friendly, to our neighbors and to the other Clans... the... cross-clan relationships, the friendships, who we let into our lives and join us... it all seems more and more... open these days, doesn't it? But people don't ever really see do they? Take... Take me, for instance. I've gone so, so... so many moons being nothing more than a hard-worker and someone overlooked- No, I do not mean to complain or earn sympathy from you, Hurricanegaze, it's merely a statement of fact- I do my work, I entertain group coversations, I move on... I am gaining friends, much to my surprise, but it was not always so. But.. even in those friendships I might claim, I can hardly say that anyone... knows me. They might think they do- I'm sure you have your own ideas of who I am. Soft, sweet, right?- but... It's not the same. Is it?"

Gentlewish shook her head after a moment, having gotten long off the topic, and quickly rerouted herself back to the main point. "What I mean to say is... Flowers do give, I agree with you. When... when we look at others, expecting to see something, or trying to be something or someone... Well, it all becomes futile, doesn't it? Nothing truly means as much as it should? I think people are afraid of sincerity; they think it some sort of trick... a weakness, maybe. Though, I think I am long past making sense."

• She watches him, that's all she does as he talks and explains. Maybe she can tell that he's only giving her some of it or maybe she's just waiting for his mouth to finally close. He would hope it was the former but his hurting soul might convince him it was the latter. She basically tells him that Lav would've been proud, and it pains him to hear it. Obviously it means a lot to him that once might eve think that but in another sense it hurts him because Lav herself never told him. He knew she was or she wouldn't have stayed with him for all those moons and would've just given up on him, but she never told him. No one ever told him. They all watched him do his things but then they wouldn't be proud. No they would silently watch and silently judge. His father, Juni, Moth, even Lav. The only one was Rulindil. Rulindil believed in him, and told Cane that one day he would be more. Rulindil and Bune were the only two he'd ever met to understand his job and responsibility to Skyclan. The only two to understand that he had the mental health of all Skyclanner's and others who asked for help on his shoulders. It was his burden to make sure no one was hurting and his burden to stop budding fights. Yet everyone had always looked down on him for it, weak, unnecessary. Things he'd heard in the moons where he devoted himself to Skyclan in a way that nobody else ever had. Maybe Hurricanegaze just held himself too high, or he was just too vain.

Gentlewish continues, saying that she thinks he's right. He agreed in a sense. That quote was the only thing he knew in life to be true. While the world turned his back on him, his flowers would still be there living. Her next words startle him. In a few simple sentences she had somehow been referring to both those who shunned him and to himself and his own feelings. He didn't need praise or glory, he just wanted someone recognize him. He wanted someone to see him. Cane almost hates her words and the way she can so easily say them. Not because they aren't true but because they bring up a conversation that could never even go anywhere. They could voice their thoughts but at the end of the day, nobody would recognize them, nobody would see them. All he ever wanted and nobody would give it to him. The cross clan relationships. He's hurting more now. Everything always led back to his lost loves and back to those who always left him. He was always left behind. The way she follows up the cross clan relationships with them never understanding doesn't sit right with him. In his case the only ones who ever saw him were those who only had few instances every now and then of seeing each other. She says something and it hurts him once more. He feels the same, there's no way he couldn't. For moons he committed himself as both mediator and senior warrior and he felt nothing back. No love. Yet somehow Windclan and Bloodclan offered him things he never felt. Not the whole of those two clans, but their ex leaders did. She tells him she doesn't want sympathy, but Cane only has empathy to offer. She insinuates that he doesn't know her, and Cane would agree. But her ideas that she is thinking is wrong. He'd let her know after she finished. Her big finish hurts him once more.

He doesn't know what to say. He wants to explain how he truly sees her. He knows the pain of being kind and how exhausting it is. How weak it makes one feel to be nothing but kind. "You're strong." He says finally, but maybe he's deflecting. Nobody else that he'd ever met had been strong enough to be kind. Never. "So much stronger than anyone I've met." Was it enough to voice his thoughts? He wasn't sure. Yet he revisits her last few sentences. She must have some boyfriend or girlfriend in another clan. He knows that way, that pain. He had never had someone tell him the things that mattered. They only strayed away and hid it within themself. Could he tell her? Could he for once explain to her the deep pain that came with the loss of the only one who truly loved him? And yet, Cane couldn't even tell her that because it would be a lie. Bune had never even told him, even if they had both known. "They-" weakness right. That's how they viewed it, that's how Bune viewed it. "They're just scared of feeling."

• ♡♡♡"We're all scared of feeling," she said, more bluntly than even the rest of the long, drawn out ramble of hers had been. It was straight, to the point, as bold as she could ever be, almost as though there was a bitter undertone to those words. Yet, it was not for any secret lover, as one might expect with her discussion of cross-clan relationships, which was just as messy and incomplete as her rambling thoughts. Perhaps if she had to go back and re-say everything that she just had, she would have picked different words, different meanings, different ideas, but she couldn't go back. None of them could go back to moments that they regretted. Who knew that the two of them thought so similarly, all the same. Who knew that Hurricanegaze was a man full of pain that put on a front as well as the rest of them, to be happy and make others happy and to find peace for others but not for himself? Could someone truly be happy like that? Was he, or she, or any of them truly happy? If she thought about it, she would be hard pressed to find any SkyClanner who would say that they were. Juniperstar? He was always grumbling about something. Turtledove? She knew more than one that the Matriach of the Clan, as she basically was at this point, was disatisfied, yearned for a family, for a maternal purpse. Herself? No. Cottonlung? No, he had his own problems and challenges to face, of his anger and his past to overcome and grow from. Palethroat? She hadn't talked to him as much lately, but she knew even he would likely have some qualm about something. But all that was quite negative, wasn't it? Everyone always had something that they were unahppy about.

So no, no one could ever be truly happy. They could only be happy with what they had and hope that it never got any worse. And what was fair in that? They would never get any recognition for their pain or their efforts unless it was beneficial to someone more than themselves. Hurricanegaze's past as a mediator was proof to that. Her hard work in the Clan was acknowledged by some, but even she never sought the glory or the praise. She frankly didn't care. Even Turtledove was surprised by her own promotion, but she was a valuable asset to the Clan. They were seen for their uses, not for their desires. Fit into boxes and made to run, hoping that their dreams might fall along the same path that they moved, if they even had any idea of where they were going at all.

Did either of them know what path they were treading now?

"And I would thank you for saying that I am strong..." She was not so humble as to say she was not for she knew that she was in her own ways, but her ears flicked slightly. "But I would rightly think that is different. I'm strong because I've overcome the things that have tried to take me down.. But I am shy and meek and I know it. I hate crowds, I hate the attention, I wish nothing more than to do my work and find my peace with that... Half the reason I'm telling you this now is because I find you..." she paused, lingering. Where had this boldness come from? The conversation alone, perhaps. Or perhaps more so the company. "I know you to be someone who will not judge, who will have opinions equal to, or at least contrary enough to debate, upon my own." She fell back into silence, her paws finally stopping. They were far from camp now, far from any prying ears, far from anything more than the nature and the scenery around them. She turned to him at last, mouth slightly agape as though she had intended to speak, but the words faltered where her mind ran, and for a moment she pressed her ears back to her head, ashamed. "...Perhaps it's not right for me to speak on like this. So I shall, maybe conclude, thusly: I will never pry into who or what you were, Hurricanegaze, for my past is as equally dark, marred, and ugly as anyone else's. But... but whatever it was, that brought that statement to your head: don't ignore it. Don't... don't just pretend a few people are culprits to anything you have faced in your past because I promise you, you'll only hurt yourself more by thinking one or two people can do something ugly. We... we are all ugly, and broken, and scarred, and perhaps rightly many of us are scared beyond belief and beyond anything that we might say or... or t-think that we feel and... and Hurricanegaze, I think all that I mean to say is... I understand you. I may not know what you faced or did, but I understand. So... So don't let yourself be held back by that, okay?" Her voice had begun to shake from words and sentiments she didn't even know existed within her, her paws trembling slightly as she met his eye- indeed a rare thing- and her gaze, almost pleading, sought his own. She had tumbled and rolled through her words in a hurry, as though wishing she could stop herself from speaking but knowing she might never find peace unless she did; knowing that now she had even begun to speak to him, truly, that it would be a dishonest and cowardly act, a lie to him, to pretend that she had anything less to say at all. She was a girl with a mind as strong as her will, even if her shyness and meek nature often made people think twice. And whatever it was that Hurricanegaze had drawn out of her, it was likely to never happen again.

• She was right. Gentlewish was always right, yet her words felt oddly cold and sent a chill through him. It made him feel strange, acknowledging the fact that no one out there in this moment was truly happy. Or maybe Skyclan was just too messed up. She doesn't like herself enough to see the truth. No matter if she was shy or meek as she was saying, she was still strong. Clearly stronger than she knew or let herself admit. There was so much more she wasn't seeing in herself. He didn't even know where he was right now. She was saying in basic words she trusted him, but he didn't know where he was. All the trees looked the same. They were all too tall and too wide and too clustered. They were all suffocating him now, closing in. He was only focusing on the girl in front of him and keeping his breath steady. All this feeling hurt. Pain, pain, pain. That's all he ever felt. In the moments where he was happy he couldn't even tell if he truly was or if he was just pretending because that's what he was told was right in some situations. Had he ever once been truly happy and unstoppable? Maybe one day when he was freshly a mediator and senior warrior with Lavenderstar still alive and Mothshine who was basically his sister — plus two leaders who loved him more than his own clan and their own clan. He'd once thought a while ago that Bune was his support system. Everyone else was gone at that point and nobody took his feelings after Lav's death seriously. Bune was the only one to hold him and tell him everything was going to be alright while he wasted his days away, thinning out and loosing weight because he couldn't even bare to eat while his everything was covered in dirt on the border. Then Bune had left and Cane had no support system, no person to ever turn to. Cane was alone, and he accepted that. She tells him that she understands and that he shouldn't be held back but she doesn't understand. Or at least that's what Cane has grown up pounding into his own head. Being alone meant no one could hurt you, and Cane would rather accept the loneliness than allow someone to say these things and then leave him. Nobody understands, and no one ever will. That's what he's always told himself.

She's staring at him now but she's not just looking; she's seeing him. Hurricanegaze couldn't even find the right words. The world would never allow him to. He'd speak again and say words that would never mean what he wanted them to. "I understand too." But did he really? Did she really? It was okay to pretend that in this moment maybe she did. She was in front of him seeing him. She didn't even know the truth but she was seeing him. Words couldn't express what he was feeling in this moment so instead he took a step closer, rubbing his head on her neck and holding it there for a few moments. Action, take action. "I'm here for you." He croaked weakly.

• ♡♡♡Well, maybe he was right about her perception of herself, but people were often like that, weren't they? They saw the worst parts of themselves because they always had to be [iwith[/i] themselves and their thoughts, whatever it might have been. But this conversation had come out of nowhere, and left them both vulnerable and cracking around the edges, their very selves threatening to spill out of the shells they had created for themselves and be lain bare on the forest floor. It was no confession of love nor of animosity, but a strange finding that both of them thought in rather similar ways. And if only Gentlewish had known of Lichenglory. But being alone and loneliness were indeed two different things. And perhaps they both shoved other people away to make their own lives easier; didn't bother with the attention or the fuss or the complexity that came with dealing with others, and yet here they both were. Funny how things worked, right?

I understand too but neither of them truly could understand each other. Gentlewish could not have the mind of Hurricanegaze, to see through his eyes, to feel his experiences as he knew them and had endured them, much the same that he could not understand how her own mind worked and how she processed the things that happened to her. It was all they could do to understand each other as a reflection of themselves upon the counterpart's problems, where their solutions and experiences would never truly come close to an answer that either of them needed outside of a feeble, passing reassurance that someone could maybe relate to them. But understand? It was much the same as it was with happiness. No one was ever truly happy. But they could tell themselves that they were, or that they understood. They could try and find the absolute where there was ever only a part, and as he stepped forward to embrace her in some way, she felt her shaking paws shift and her eyes shut, soaking in this moment with a man who she perhaps now had to consider a friend, a companion in mind and will, with neither of them expecting that a talk about a garden could have blossomed into a discussion of life, and faith, and endurance, where now they stood as little stems of a plant in a wide garden bed yearning for the sun but finding nothing but each other's company. It would do, as all things did. Never an absolute, but an imperfect fondness.

She could see him only as well as she could see herself but could never guess his mind. But she had allowed this hug and this contact, a little smile pulling at her lips and the softest of purrs sounding out of her shaking voice. "I-i'm here for you too, Hurricanegaze. I promise you that," she murmured softly, mindful she was still near his ears as she brushed her cheek against his before finally pulling away, giving him a soft smile that returned to the usual warmth and ease of Gentlewish before she dipped her head, slightly meek but acknowledging the conversations that had just taken place. "Life is... messy, but we just have to make the most of it, don't we?"

• It did hurt to watch her like this, feeling pain. He didn't like seeing others feel like that but what hurt even more was the fact that he truly couldn't help her. He couldn't do anything other than sit by her and look at her. She tells him that she's here for him but she doesn't just tell him, she promises. He wants to tell her that she shouldn't promise something that she can't keep, because one day she will leave and Cane will once again be alone. They always leave, and they never return. He had learned to understand that and he accepted it. Lichenglory, Lavenderstar, Heronstar, Bune, Rulindil, Duskpaw, Mothshine. They all left him alone, even when they weren't supposed to. They shouldn't have yet they still did. "That's all we can do. We just have to take what Starclan gives up and make do with it. Even if it sucks." Her smile almost seems fake, how could it be real after the conversation he had? Maybe she really was that emotionally flexible.