GRAND AND INTOXICATING INNOCENCE / p, cairo, lily

Check out the Court of Halcyon, holy knights of the Bleak Wilds and a growing unboarded proclan who aim to bring peace and order to Agrelos!
  • " — The mansion's basement was rarely used for this purpose. Among the barrels of aging wine and thick, humid air was a few holding cells. The Cartel rarely took prisoners- past leadership was much more likely to just flat-out exile or murder those who wronged the group in such a way, but little "pacifistic" Asimov had instead sentenced his first prisoner, if only temporarily.

Notes had been found in his bag; incriminating evidence, detailed information on high positions, but most of all, information on Asimov that he'd like to keep secret. Why would anyone take notes like this if they weren't some Exiles or Ruins spy? He would have to interrogate the hybrid tom, but not alone. See, he wanted Cairo to get some experience in, so he had asked his son to meet him outside of his bedroom, and the two had made their way to the basement. "So we'll do a bit of good cop, bad cop," Asimov instructed to his lookalike son. "... Hmm, I can do either role, but... I feel like you've got a lot of anger you can use," Asimov asked, tilting his head.

Once roles had been decided, Asimov's scarlet gaze turned to the holding cell.

CAIRO.

Lily~

GUARANTEED TO BLOW YOUR MIND!

CARTEL GODFATHER | TAGS | PLOT | PLAYED BY MADSTER

• - Cairo had very little experience with prisoners. By very little, he meant exactly zero. He knew that the concept and rank of a prisoner existed in the Cartel, but he'd never once seen it actually be utilized. Like his father had said (well, thought, in an internal monologue), exiling or just straight up murder for wrongdoers seemed to be a much more favored style of dealing with problems, especially with prior leadership (a euphemistic term meaning Breakout).

The injured kitsune had been briefed on the details, the notes, the bag, the contents, all of it, and was engaged in further discussion with the godfather as the two made their way to the basement, where the holding cell was.

Truth be told, Cairo was nervous. He'd never done anything close to this before. The most experience he had was Milkyway sweet-talking or threatening some loners who got a bit too close to the young Cairo for the medic's comfort. "Um," Cairo swallowed. "I think I'll take good cop," he said, frowning. "I don't think I'm terribly threatening in this state," he tried to joke, making up a further excuse for himself.

getting better and better

( yet bursting at the seams )

cartel underboss, penned by middy.

• ~ Lily yawned, lying down on the cold floor and staring up at the ceiling of his cell for the third hour in a row. Besides receiving a meal a few hours earlier, he had not really done anything all day and was beginning to feel lethargy creeping up to greet him. It was not like he could really keep out of his sedentary state, anyway; shackled directly to the wall behind him, his legs were all but useless when it came to performing any meaningful movements, let alone proper exercise. Instead, he took the time to really savor what little natural light made it into the room through the small windows at the top of the wall above the holding cells.

Wonder how long it'll be 'til I'm out, the half-dragon thought, tapping his claws together. He was not exactly a fan of being in such a dank and dusty place, though he did not mind the shackles. It was late afternoon, it seemed, as the light peeking in through the windows was only barely enough for good visibility. Despite his imprisonment only lasting for a day or so, the cat was anxious to find his way out. Could he break out of the barely-manned prison? Perhaps, but he was better off at least waiting until he could figure out his sentence. If he played his cards right, maybe he could get out early without angering anyone. After all, he was already in hot water for a reason...

A couple sets of pawsteps brought the hybrid's train of thought to a stop and his ears up to attention. He tilted his head to face the direction of the sounds, hoping to make out the voices he heard along with the steps. Hearing the words "cop" and "in this state", he could only assume his visitors were preparing to act. Still, it was not very much to work off of and he had no way of knowing what exactly they had in mind. Sure, the good-cop-bad-cop routine did mean something, but the actual methods were up to the ones executing it. Lily sighed and remained in place, turning his head back up to stare at the ceiling. Chuckling to himself, he thought, Let's see what happens. Who knows... maybe they'll both be the good cop.

imagine having chapters closed

when you had not read them yet...

• " — He looked at Cairo, giving a little nod, leaning over to whisper. "Come in with me. Maybe this will be easier than I thought. We don't need to prove guilt- we just need concrete evidence," Asimov was quick to approach the cell, opening it with ease. Cairo would be the more understanding of the two, it seemed, at least in this scenario, but overall, in actuality, Asimov didn't want to exile the man, so this entire thing was a show of mercy from the scarlet kitsune. Crimson eyes locked on the feline hybrid's form, analyzing, observing.

"You're a tiny thing," Asimov deducted, squinting as he approached, aiming to use his paw to wrench Lily's jaw upward, forcing eye contact. "What are you, really? "

• ~ When the pair finally arrived at his cell, Lily remained stationary. They would have to make the first move. He eyed each of the kitsunes in turn, coming to the simple conclusion that they were relatives -- brothers or a father and son, perhaps. The actual looks of them caught his eye, too; taking a little breath, Lily rolled over onto his belly to get a better look at the duo. It took a moment for him to recognize them in the darkness, but it seemed that the Godfather himself had brought one of his sons to interrogate the prisoner. How charming.

Before he could think of anything else, the first move was made. The hybrid groaned a little at the sudden use of force. So he's the bad cop... he thought, coughing at the light choking sensation. Now forced into staring at Asimov, the little cat felt more interested than unnerved or intimidated. Responding to the commentary, he muttered, "... and you're a big thing..." Lily had no way or reason to try to fight his captor, as even without his shackles holding him down, he was absolutely dwarfed by the older male.

"What am I...? I guess I'm part cat, part dragon..." With his airways not being obstructed much, the cat took a breath before continuing, "... or did you mean something else?" His eyes widened a little as the realization hit him: So this is about the notes... Indeed, he was not certain why he was sent to the prison in the first place; he was called a traitor and knocked out by an NPC, but that was all.

Knowing the bad cop almost certainly noticed his eyes, the feline did not mention his realization, curious to see what further questioning could reveal. Instead, he whispered, "Your eyes are a nice shade of red. They look... kind."

The post was edited 1 time, last by Lily~ ().

• - Almost immediately, this had gone wildly different from how Cairo had expected. The younger practically winced as his father grabbed the hybrid's face, forcing him into eye contact. Almost immediately, the Capo found himself not particularly a fan of the word choice and overall interrogation tactics that were being employed, but he decided to keep his mouth shut for the time being.

Eyeing the half-cat-half-dragon cautiously, Cairo's golden gaze narrowed, trying to further deduce what purpose the hybrid had in flattery over answers. He must have known that that was not the question Asimov was asking: the Godfather had eyes.

"We mean the notes," the injured kitsune spoke up, taking a step closer to Lily, yet remaining further away than Asimov was. Of course, Asimov was practically on top of him, so it would be pretty difficult for Cairo to beat him in that regard.

Cairo's tone was soft, miles softer than his fathers', yet maintained an air of rigidness to it, a command rather than a demand. "Where are you from? It's clearly not the Cartel," he reiterated his question, hoping for a response rather than a compliment on his physical appearance from the smaller.

• ~ So now he speaks. It seemed the larger of the two kitsunes - the good cop - was working to move past the distraction. I see. Lily sighed and prepared himself. What exactly was he going to say?

Not shifting his gaze just yet, he commented, "You know, you really take after your dad there." The cat had to buy some time somehow, especially since he was not looking to seem any more suspicious with his actual answer. Looking at Cairo next, he continued, "Nice kinda bonding exercise, huh?" The hybrid turned back to stare at Asimov's eyes, then listened to the cutting question the younger of the interrogators asked. It was a little easier to explain than the notes, but... the answer itself was not exactly a good one. "Of course. Yeah. The notes. Well, I... I don't really know where I'm from." It probably sounded like a total lie, but he had been searching his memories hard to little avail. That issue had been bothering Lily for a while; as far as he knew, on previous missions he never had his memories wiped so thoroughly, but this time he simply came up with a blank whenever he tried to think of his employer or his previous home.

Lily could only wonder what sort of response he would elicit. Really, he practically gave a non-answer even if it was the truth. Sighing, he admitted, "I can tell you I'm not from the Cartel, but I could've been a loner before for all I know." With that, he could at least have their curiosity.

• " — Asimov's paw tensed, and Lily might feel the prick of his claws into his chin. "You don't know where you're from? Really?" Asimov asked, tilting his head. He realized that it was a dead-end conversationally speaking; he could press truth out of the hybrid, but he was reluctant to actually hurt him.

"Why are the notes specifically detailed about me, first of all? And my son?" He asked warily, getting closer, ears flattening as he heard the compliment. "Really? Give me proof of your innocence and I'll be as kind as you want me to be."

• ~ The feeling of the kitsune's claws against Lily's chin made him actually smile. It was oddly comforting to him, considering the lack of physical contact he had imposed upon himself from the beginning of his mission. Indeed, this grip was the first intentional contact anyone had made with him in quite some time. It was not even particularly painful -- it appeared the kitsune did not actually intend to do damage to him.

After a moment, Lily shook his head without breaking eye contact. "Not a clue. I think my memory was wiped before I was sent out on my mission." All he remembered was being told that he'd know when it was time to go, but that was not really relevant here. "For my innocence? Well, I haven't really done anything with those notes. Besides, what kind of lame spy would I be if I didn't even remember who to report back to?" The cat had little else to say on the matter, for it was becoming increasingly clear that even hewas unsure what his role was in whatever scheme he had been a part of. Still, the promise of kindness from the Godfather got the younger male's thoughts racing. Perhaps things would turn out alright after all. "I guess I can say one thing: I came here to see you, to see Cairo, and to see others, too. It wasn't to hurt anyone, least of all you two." It sounded vague, but it was hard to explain it further. His mission truly was an odd one.

"You have a strong grip... warm and padded, but there's some sharpness in your claws." While it was seemingly just an acknowledgement of the larger male's power, it also served as yet another sort of compliment. "Like I said though, your eyes've got some niceness for such a bad cop, 'Boss'." Acknowledging the larger of the kitsunes as well, the hybrid added, "From watching your son I can tell he's even nicer. Young and kind, even... but isn't he supposed to be leading the defensive division here?" Though his compliments and commentary were largely just there to butter up the interrogators, there was a genuine note of concern in the little cat's voice. It almost felt irresponsible to let a child lead a military. Sure, he knew the kitsune was nearly an adult, but it wasn't like he got into his position by chance. No, it would have taken time. Returning to the topic at hand, Lily said, "Soooo, about that 'kindness'..."

• - Still eyeing the goings-on in front of him with an eye of uncertainty, Cairo opened his mouth again to the feline hybrid. Not only to begin prodding again, but to respond to the question.

"I am in charge of that, yes," Cairo did not have much of a chip on his shoulder about his age, but the somewhat snide remark from Lily certainly hadn't made him happy. Nonetheless, Cairo continued with his even, soft tone, remaining distant from them as Asimov seemed all the more ready to get closer and closer.

"You had your memory wiped?" he asked, bordering on incredulous. "Is it possible you might have left a code, somewhere within your notes, to help you find your way back home?" his golden gaze then turned to Asimov, as if to suggest looking through his notes once more for such a thing.

• " — Asimov squinted as the hybrid complimented his grip, and for a moment, he wanted to move that paw lower, to use both paws and squeeze, to make the tiny hybrid stop talking and give him what he wants, but he stopped himself, restraining himself as he focused on Cairo as he spoke. "I'll go look," He said, moving now, his ears flattening on his skull, a strange but familiar feeling building within his abdomen, and he tensed.

Asimov looked through the notes, not finding anything unusual at all besides... words describing him. He wanted to burn the notes, but at the same time... it was oddly nice to see someone write all these things about him.

"Well... you've failed to convince me you're a spy, at least." He added, moving back, once again moving his paw under Lily's chin, this time gentler. "... What about a deal? You've caught my eye, y'know," He said softly, but with a tone of authority. "... You work for me, wear a collar, and I'll let you walk free. But you'll belong to me, got it?"

• ~ Lily knew that the pair would not find anything to answer their question in his notes. They were as straightforward as notes could be; stats, bios, schedules, and major activities. There was no hint of a code with such a high level of conciseness, separation, and organization. Unfortunate for Lily, it meant that he, too, would not know why he was where he was. "I just wish I knew more. Honestly, it hasn't really occurred to me how aimless this mission turned out," the hybrid whispered, looking down at the floor. He felt... almost cold when the much larger male let go of him, so he watched his note-search intently to distract himself from it. "I was careful with every word I documented. I guess whoever ordered this of me... I guess they really wanted to get to know you guys."

The half-dragon's ears perked up again at Asimov's positive sentiment. "Really? That's g--" he shuddered a little as he was cut off by the familiar warm grip, his heart racing a little more than before. Talk of a deal sounded good. So I can get out of here that quick after all, Lily thought, looking into the huge kitsune's eyes once more. Things were going smoothly. Working for the man I already worked for, sure... walking free, alright... good... wearing a collar... belonging to him... A quiet gasp escaped the hybrid's mouth.

Wearing a collar...

Belonging to him...

Spending a solid minute working through random math problems in his head to resolve his newfound concentration issue, the little cat shut his eyes tight and breathed carefully. This was not at all what he had been expecting, even when he knew the Godfather's... style already. Another half a minute of distraction-math later, he opened his eyes again and nodded slowly. "... Are you sure? This sounds like... a really good deal to me," Lily asked in earnest. "And... well, I'd definitely take it -- I can tell you that much." The idea that he really had caught someone's eye - let alone someone that large and in charge - genuinely surprised the cat, circumstances be damned.

• " — He tilted his head at the deal. "Well, I bet I'm better than whoever told you to do that," He grinned knowingly, eyes half-lidded. "You'll still have opportunity for promotion, of course, if I deem it so, but you'll be expected to greet and serve our customers, find things for me, draw my baths and whatnot... I say it's a fair deal," He commented, turning to Cairo. "I might have Maruki pick apart his brain later, but for now, I think we've reached a conclusion. Go tell Jakob he's got a co-worker," He instructed plainly, then glanced back to Lily with a knowing look in his eyes.