this is bessie | open

Check out the Court of Halcyon, holy knights of the Bleak Wilds and a growing unboarded proclan who aim to bring peace and order to Agrelos!
  • i think death is bad for everyone... it's always the same. it's rather fair in it's treatment —

Grasstuft had gone out of Wind Haven for a little while, missing for about a day, not long enough for anyone to notice. He had left Eggbert in her coop, which meant he would be back in time to feed her, as he wasn't going to abandoned little Eggbert. With him, on a lead, was a small cow, a baby cow that is. It had an expression of bliss, and it seemed like Grasstuft had fed it something delicious that was in a bag, as it had attempted to bite the bag at least once already after they had gotten back onto Wind Haven territory. Grassy was leading it to the barn, as he hoped no one would yell at him for storing a cow there. He managed to arrive without anyone noticing, at least he believed so, and brought the thing in. Finding a small area to put it, he spread out some hay and laid on the ground with the cow, rolling an apple in its direction, which it ate happily before falling asleep. Grasstuft just laid there and watched it sleep. A small sleepy cow. Its parents had been hunted it seemed, as he saw parts of what he thought was a cow? Crows and animals had scavenged it, and so he took the calf as his own. A new member for his family. It was a white and creamy brown, and he had already named her Bessie. She would grow big one day and produce milk. A lot of things he could sell and make from her, without having to butcher her.

U8f8DoAiQJty1qooAAAAASUVORK5CYII.png

Art By: parcidinonyx on picrew

tags 13 months

• Ver had fought with plenty of bison and bulls in the wild when she'd been desperate for food and they weren't to be fucked with even if their meat was delicious she could never imagine anyone at all taking one in up until she sees Grasstuft pulling in a small little calf behind him on a lead. Her eyes narrow and Phantom who'd been resting on one horn would let out an almost surprised sounds caw as she'd move to stand hurrying her way over to the young man and his new companion as they entered into one of the few barns that dotted the valley. She'd enter and curiously approach her nostrils flaring out as she took in the scent of the young prey animal before her eyes would set on Grasstuft.

”How the hell did you manage to get a calf?” the question blurts out of her, she doesn't realize how loud she's speaking and her words that follow are far less loud ”Did you take it away from it's mother?” cows weren't easy to find and any mother animal wasn't to be fucked with, she didn't like eating young unsentient animals anyway but she'd learned that even curiously approaching one was a bad idea and she was a canine who could take a few hits, Grassy was just a young cat.

”speech”tags

• Clem does in fact spot Grasstuft enter the barn, and he appears to have a new friend with him. Any friend of Grassy's is a friend of Clementine's! The unihorse scampers over to the building, entering with much less caution now that it isn't close to falling apart. Then, he heads over to where Ver is questioning Grasstuft. Unfortunately, the calf seems to be asleep, which means Clem isn't going to wake it up just to introduce himself. Instead, he focuses on what his clanmates are talking about, fidgeting quietly with his hooves so as not to disturb the snoozing baby cow. Grass would never have taken her from her mom... right? "No... that's not nice," he answers for the feline... even though he has no idea what he's talking about. "She's stayin' till her mom comes back?" That's probably all that happened - Grass found this lost calf and it just giving her a place to sleep until her parents can find her. It's what Clementine would do.

in this beautiful world -

• i think death is bad for everyone... it's always the same. it's rather fair in it's treatment —

Grasstuft tilted his head a bit before turning to look at Ver. "There was no mother cow. The calf was hanging around a uh... deceased... cow..." he says with worrying eyes. What he says is true, he is not lying, but the poor cow made him think of himself in a way. Of course he wanted to help it, and in doing so the cow would help him. It would give him family, someone that would like him as long as he kept feeding it of course. "I didn't steal it, if that is what you mean. I'm not a meany. It doesn't feel good to be taken away from your parents, but when they die you don't get a choice ya know," he said with a nod. His mother had left him, but she had died, and his father, well... he might as well be dead, he didn't ever come to see him after his mother died, just left him here without anyone.

Clementine, he hoped they understood what deceased mean, or at least dead. They understood, right? "Well... unless it's gonna come back as a ghost, I don't think the momma cow will be arriving to... claim the calf," Grassy said, trying not to raise his voice too much as the calf was sleeping. Did they really think so little of him that he was going to start stealing random calves out from the wild? A baby cow on its own would never survive, it would make a perfect meal for some wild wolves but... that means death.

tags 13 months

• "this feels weird," a farming clan was bound to have moments like these. animals who lived in barns on earth had a chance at sentience while on agrelos - himself and his siblings included. he wanted to say that he was different than any 'ole horse, given that his father was a unicorn. but still, seeing another creature with hooves being coddled and talk of his mother being killed... he sent a wary look towards ver. was he still small enough for her to eat? he certainly wouldn't be fast enough to get away.

"is she sentient?" the child opted to ask, figuring that was what drew the final line in the dirt.

[ TAGS ]

• 'Deceased', he didn't know. 'Die', absolutely. Flowers did that without enough water, sun, and dirt, or when you picked them wrong. And the little caterpillars and ladybugs he liked to play with could be squashed and killed easily, which why he was always careful. There is a bit of disconnect as to how death will eventually apply to his clanmates, loved ones, and even himself, but he understands what Grassy means now. The little calf didn't have parents anymore.

Clementine looks back at the sleeping baby cow, his eyes full of pity. "Oh..." he whispers. That is pretty sad... but at least she has Grassy, now? He turns back to the feline with a small, hopeful smile. "You be her momma, now?" He'd be taking care of her, right? And that's what moms and dads did - they looked after their children.

While he's happy to see Star, he is also a tiny bit confused as to why his brother is weirded out by any of this. Grasstuft is only helping this motherless baby. What's so odd about that? Of course, Clem had never once considered the possibility of being munched on by one of his predatory clanmates. "Sent... ent?" he echoes, tilting his head in confusion. Maybe he's heard that word before, but he can't even begin to guess what it means.

in this beautiful world -

Grasstuft thought at Clementine's statement, and finally nodding for the final one. "Yes... I guess you could say I would be... like its adoptive mother in a way," Grassy nodded. Yes, a new member for his small animal family. And Star, well, they had a good question. "No, I believe not," he said to Starfruit before looking at Clementine again. "Sentient, that would be like... you. You can talk, think, you are your own person, if you are not, you are like... the wild animals us meat eaters would eat, which you are not, which means you are very much safe from being eaten," Grassy said with a nod, he felt like he did a very good job at explaining that.

tags 13 months

• It was moments like this that always made it awkward. As the young tigress slipped over to the gaggle of her clanmates to investigate what was causing such a ruckus, her stomach grumbled a bit loudly at the sight of the young calf. It'd make a good lunch. But... that'd probably make things weird, huh? "Aha... cool. Cool cow," remarked Sel, an awkward grimace curling her maw for a moment at her body's response to seeing the little meatsack. Had she gotten a cow recently? Not that she could remember.

'Cause I'm just a girl, oh, little old me tags

'cause I'm just a girl, oh, little old me

golden tigress | 13 moons | wind haven member