˗ˋˏ the room where it happens ┆ moosepaw ˎˊ˗

An announcement concerning sensitive clan-wide plots has been released! You can view it HERE!
Check out Ivoria in Agrelos! They are an evil backboard group situated on the waterway. Successful completion of a trial is required in order to join. We have a great OOC community and would love to have you!
  • truthfully, cactuspaw could imagine worse babysitters than moosepaw. it isn't that she's particularly fond or preferential toward the tom, he's got one of those weird personalities where he actually likes people, but he's tolerable. not in the preferred company sort of way, but rather in the maybe i can tolerate him variety. about the same age as her, born a kittypet but doing his best to be a good future warrior. if she didn't need him, she'd have no reason to speak to him, but all things considered, she'd take him over spiderpaw any day.

part of her whole "learning to navigate the world blind" thing involved learning to exist. without her eyes, it was all different; walking, smelling, hearing. depth perception required her eyes, and without them, she stumbled and tripped and all the scents and noises started to blur together. she had to get out of camp, had to move around, but she couldn't do so alone. so, rather than any adults bothering to deal with the bitter girl, they stuck an apprentice to watch her like she's some kit in the nursery needing babysitting. still, she doesn't complain, because she knows full and well that it could be worse. she could be stuck with spiderpaw, the crochety medicine cat apprentice that she could hardly stand sharing a den with.

she's walking awkwardly, her entire body rigid as she feels the ground warily with each step before applying pressure and moving forward. she doesn't trust herself, or the ground around her, but she doesn't want any focus on her awkward ambling, so she tries to direct focus to him. "how's, uh, training going?" that was what normal apprentices discussed, right? "you, like, excited for your ceremony? or something?" she's searching desperately for words to fill the silence, anything to make her feel like a fish out of water.

TELL ME TO LEAVE, I'LL PACK MY BAGS

eleven months — darkclan — apprentice — tags — penned by vacuous

• When a warrior had assigned him to take a walk with Cactuspaw, the chocolate-furred apprentice certainly didn't complain. He was probably the most easy-going tom you could meet, going wherever he was told and doing what felt right in the moment. In this case, it meant being a companion to his denmate as she traversed the alpine wilderness. The chunky boy padded alongside her, a grin plastered on his face as he swung his head back and forth to admire the scenery. He was about to comment on its beauty before remembering the reason he was out here. Cactuspaw could not see.

But, when she spoke, Moosepaw was more than eager to get the conversation rolling. He swiveled his head around to face her, smile stretching wider as he babbled, "Oh, it's great! Oakstar's been teaching me more advanced moves, and I'm practically silent when I hunt now! Heh, you shoulda seen me when I first joined; I was so bad at hunting, ha!" He paused to laugh boisterously at himself, thick tail waving in the air in a jolly manner. When his laughter died down, he puffed his chest out with pride at her next question, despite the fact that she wouldn't see it. "Boy, am I! Lemme tell ya, I'm gonna be the greatest warrior DarkClan has ever seen! Just you wait! What do you think your warrior name will be?" Naivety at its finest. The tom peered expectantly at her, anticipation for her answer biting at his twitching whiskers. He really wasn't trying to be insensitive; he just...wasn't too bright.

"speech."

Trading in who I've been for shiny celebrity skin
    I like to push it and push it until my luck is over

WOES ARE FLEETING, BLOWS ARE GLANCING

( WHEN YOU'RE DANCING THROUGH LIFE )

DARKCLAN APPRENTICE ☆ TOM ☆ 10 MOONS ☆ BIO ☆ PENNED BY Blitz Krieg

• one leg lands in front of the other, slow and cautious, and she struggles to focus on the tom's words as he speaks. she heards birds chittering in the distance, the noise of the wind in her hears, distant voices that carry through the landscape. she catches most of it, though; yadda yadda good hunter, yadda yadda best warrior, yadda yadda warrior name.

her ears flatten against her head for a brief moment, until it occurs to the apprentice that-- she's the only blind one. right. he can see that, and all things considered, moosepaw may be dim, but he's nice. and apparently, the rest of her life will lie in the paws of nice people to change her nests and bring her food and carry her out of camp if the mountain collapses in on them. nice people, albeit being a little much to tolerate, were necessary to her existence.

"i, uh, dunno." she says awkwardly, obviously uncomfortable. she'd always wanted a powerful name, wanted to be cactusclaw or something of that sort. and now, what does she have to offer? "maybe blindeyes, or nosight." she says this as a joke, but she doesn't smile or laugh, she rarely does. she's bad at this, being social.

so she clears her throat, tries to walk a little faster. "what about you? any hopes about yours?" she quips, glancing in his direction, though her eyes don't focus and hover a few inches above his head.

• Blindeyes or Nosight? Moosepaw tilted his head for a moment, ruminating on those names for a moment. "Well, I admire the imagination behind them! But if I got to pick your name, it would be, hmmmm..." The chocolate tom thought for a moment, pursing his lips before grinning brightly. "Cactusnose! Because, I bet you have a great sense of smell now, right?" Hadn't he heard somewhere that blind cats could smell super good or something? Maybe he was wrong, but his choice of name still excited him. Thinking back to his own name, he smirked smugly, ears pressing forward with pride. "I wanna have a cool name! Something like Mooseclaw! Or Mooseheart!"

"speech."

• she tries not to sigh when he speaks. imagination. yeah, yeah, that was what she had, imagination. a massive imagination. she certainly wasn't miserable, she didn't hate her life, she didn't wish she'd just gone and died that day. nope, just a big imagination.

"yeah," she mumbles, flicking an ear as she continues along, "cactusnose sounds great. because my nose definitely isn't defective." she'd wrongly assumed the same thing, when she'd lost her eyesight. she's thought smelling and hearing would be worth something, but in the end, they were only overwhelming. she could distinguish one scent from another, old from new, clan from clan, just like she couldn't tell sounds apart as easily. too much of sound relied on sight, on seeing lips move and expressions; without it, the birds felt as loud as his voice.

he talks about his name, and she turns to glance at him, blinking and unseeing, and shakes her head. "not mooseclaw, definitely mooseheart. -claw's are fighters, -heart's are... good cats." she glances back forward, misstepping and stumbling a bit, but she pushes herself to her feet quickly. "your goodness defines you more." she'd always been satisfied with being known for her skills, not her goodness. she'd never wanted to be loved the way cactusheart might be, that wasn't who she was. cactusclaw would make a cat shiver, make them hesitate.

"you used to be a, uh, kittypet, right?" her tone is flat, but it's not caused by his history. she'd generally followed the philosophy of disliking everyone equally, regardless of blood; it was just a grab for more shitty small talk to drown out the wind and birds. "what made you, like, leave your twolegs?" she'd never wanted that soft, kittypet life, but more and more, it seemed... logical. maybe the twolegs, with their twoleg medicine, could fix her eyes. or maybe they'd think she was too much work, get rid of her.

• When she stumbled, the apprentice jerked forward, instinctively trying to help before Cactuspaw seemed to push herself back to her paws. Still, he hovered much like a fly to a horse, wanting to ensure that she would be balanced enough to walk. Still, he listened to her words and felt a giant smile form on his lips. "Really?" He mewed, breathless with wonder. She thought he was good? Did others think so, too? A bashful purr left his throat as she quickly padded alongside her, suddenly feeling much lighter on his paws. That...that made him happy and he decided in that moment that Mooseheart was far better than Mooseclaw. "I think you'll get a much cooler name than Blindeyes, by the way," He commented with a smile as he looked back out towards the horizon. He liked her spirit!

His rounded ear flicked towards her when she mentioned his kittypet roots and he nodded enthusiastically. "Yup! I left when I was old enough to train! Ya see, the other cat in my twoleg nest knew all about the clans! I grew up hearing all sorts of stories about brave warriors, the Code, StarClan, all of it! Boy, I wanted nothing more than to train in the clans, too! So, as soon as I was old enough to be an apprentice, I got out and came here!" He boasted happily, as if it were the coolest thing ever. He recalled the day he'd shown up, having already dubbed himself Moosepaw in hopes of impressing the warriors and apprentices that greeted him. Heh, good times!

"speech."

• if there'd been any shred of light, any bit of hope within her, moosepaw might have brought it out. he was lighthearted and soft, without being mushy. decent, hopeful, optimistic. cats light that could be infectious, they could ease a weary soul. but cactuspaw had been too damaged, too broken down, too far gone. she's tired of doing this blind thing, she's tired of feeling helpless, and some days-- some days, she's tired of living. not always, but often enough to bog her spirit down, enough to leave her jaded and apathetic, tired in ways that sleep couldn't fix. "really. you've got, like, heart-- or whatever."

"moosepaw, i--" she stops herself. this isn't who she is, honest. she hasn't been honest about her feelings since she buried the first of her kin, has stayed dishonest about them since the last of them got a grave. but she sighs, shoulders sagging a little as they continue on. for the first time, in a long time, something that might be described as sadness shows in her eyes. "you probably haven't been here long enough, but cat's like me, we don't get warrior names. we become early elders, and if we get a new name, it's usually about our condition. not blindeyes, but probably, like, rabbitscratch or something. tasteful." she might as well be honest with him, at least about this. he's nice, and all things considered, cactuspaw didn't want him getting any ideas about a real friendship. she didn't want him to think they'd ever go prancing on patrols or comparing hunting techniques. she'd never bothered making friends before, and soon, she'd be an elder in the elders den, getting her ticks treated.

but she smiles a little at his story regardless, puts that facade up. sharp eyes, squared shoulders. she tries to look like that impenetrable force she's spent so long pretending to be. "you lived with another cat? was it your, like, mom or something?" turn the focus back on him, back to his old life. she was good at deflecting, good at getting the focus off of her and her emotions.

• Moosepaw listened to what she said, his head tilting a bit. That didn't seem very fair at all. His brow furrowed angrily, unable to see a reason why any cat would give someone like Cactuspaw a cruel name. "Well..." He began thoughtfully, lifting his bicolored eyes to the sky as he pondered. "Then if you get a dumb name, I'll give you a better one! And no matter what, I'll just call you your real warrior name! Deal?" He grinned widely and looked back at her, ears pressing forward. Surely that would bring a smile to her face, right? He just wanted her to be happy!

Excitement twirled in his belly as she asked her question and the chubby apprentice gave a little bounce. "Oh, Rupert was a stray! Or, I guess clan cats call them loners! He knew allll about the clans from his travels, but eventually wanted to settle down in a nice cozy twoleg nest. Then my twolegs got me! He wasn't my father, but he was a great friend!" He explained cheerfully, tail waving in the air as he spoke. "Were you born in DarkClan?"

"speech."

• her lips separate at his worse, like she's going to speak, but nothing comes out. her eyes say nothing, just shaking mossy orbs, lost in thought, in trying to find the words. it won't change anything, she wants to say, wants to scream and cry, i'll still be nothing. but she thinks about that light in moosepaw, the same one so many of their clanmates had. flurrypaw, serenepaw-- all of 'em. the world would put their lights out sooner or later, the same way it had once put hers out, long before she'd gone blind. i'll let the world do that, she decides, i won't be the one who ruins them.

"that sounds great, mooseheart." she mumbles, turning her head forward and leaning toward him to bump his shoulder with her own playfully, hiding the parts of a smile that almost curl upon her lips. in the way friends might, though she'd scowl at any suggestions she and moosepaw were friends.

she listens to his story about this cat, this rupert with as much curiosity as she ever expresses. scoffs and snickers, turning back at him at his question. "yeah, i was." she says this with a sigh, turning her head back forward. "my mom didn't really stick around, though. it's whatever, i'm-- the last one left." she doesn't elaborate. "do you remember where you were born? y'know, before they, uh, got you?" good starclan, the way he describes it, they must have kit-napped him. got him. "did you have any littermates? or parents?"

• It made him sad to think that Cactuspaw had no family here. What a mouse-brained mother to leave such a special cat here! "Well, it's her loss," He muttered softly, unsure if she would even hear or understand it. From what he could tell, the she-cat was loads of fun to hang out with! Sharp as a whip, too! Who would ever want to just...leave her?

"Eh, I don't really know where I was born. Maybe in a...a barn? I don't know, it was so long ago," Moosepaw explained after hearing her questions, grinning wide. In fact, his grin hadn't quite disappeared since she shouldered him. "I remember my mom, kinda. She was nice, smelled really warm, like milk! My littermates, uh, couldn't say I remember them. Most of my life was spent in that two-leg nest, anyway. It all kinda blurs together." Now, he was just confusing himself, racking his brain to recover the memories. They seemed so close, yet just out of reach. The tom began to chew on the inside of his cheek in frustration, brow furrowing with concentration.

"speech."