boy in the bubble [training]

An announcement concerning sensitive clan-wide plots has been released! You can view it HERE!
Check out Ivoria in Agrelos! They are an evil backboard group situated on the waterway. Successful completion of a trial is required in order to join. We have a great OOC community and would love to have you!
  • ・゚ ✦ ° why do love and hate sound just the same to me - It had admittedly been a while since Oakridge and Moosepaw had been able to train together. It wasn't that they had fallen out or that the last time had gone poorly, it was just that Moosepaw had been absent and Oakridge had been swamped with duties. Tensions were running high because of StarClan's absence, borders needed defending, the prey needed to be stocked. It was a lot to do, and Oakridge was only one cat. But now, as things were beginning to fall back into a sense of normalcy, the blue rosette tom went searching for his excitable apprentice.

Poking his head into the apprentices' den, Oakridge's golden eyes scanned the nests, searching. "Moosepaw? Are you in here?"

MOOSEPAW!

speaking thoughts

darkclan ✦ leader ✦ 25 moons ✦ tom ✦ dayspring x ridgelily

penned by hanakosong - TAGS

• Chocolate ears perked up as a familiar voice called to him. "Huh?" He mewed sleepily, lifting his head from his paws. He quickly realized who it was and straightened himself, a silly grin coming across his face. "Oh! Hi, Oakridge! Are we gonna patrol? Train? Chase out intruders?" Obviously too excited for any of the above choices, the chunky tom crawled out of the apprentice's den, still smiling up at his mentor, A.K.A. his biggest role model ever. He gave himself a quick stretch, groaning slightly before leveling himself once more and staring up at the taller tom expectantly.

"speech."

Trading in who I've been for shiny celebrity skin
    I like to push it and push it until my luck is over

WOES ARE FLEETING, BLOWS ARE GLANCING

( WHEN YOU'RE DANCING THROUGH LIFE )

DARKCLAN APPRENTICE ☆ TOM ☆ 10 MOONS ☆ BIO ☆ PENNED BY Blitz Krieg

• ・゚ ✦ ° why do love and hate sound just the same to me - Giving the young tom an amused look, the large blue rosette tom flicked his tail in gesture and started for the entrance to camp. Speaking over his shoulder to his apprentice, Oakridge relished in the feeling of being able to train Moosepaw again. Things had been busy lately, and their training sessions had been fewer and further between. Oakridge felt guilty for it, but he happily took any chance to get some one on one training with Moosepaw whenever he could.

"I was thinking we could do a little battle training today. You've been doing well with hunting as far as I've heard from the other warriors during group sessions. And the same with battle practice, but it seems to be the focus you need a little more practice in." He said it all kindly, knowing that each apprentice took to a certain discipline in their own right. While Oakridge was a decent hunter, he had found far more enjoyment and ease during his apprenticeship in battle training and rock climbing. Hunting had always been harder for him due to his broad frame, as he was far from light on his feet. Unless he was rock climbing, then he was pretty nimble.

speaking thoughts

• Moosepaw flicked his ears and quickly trotted after the taller feline, his tail sticking high in the air out of excitement. He listened carefully, eyes training on Oakridge's face as he came up to pad beside him. It was true; hunting was coming easier and easier to the apprentice, but he still needed to 'click' with battle training. Sure, he was able to hold his own for a little bit in spars, but it wasn't good enough. He needed to improve if he was to get his warrior name on time. "Let's do it," He agreed with a determined smirk, giving a firm nod up at his mentor. He'd get this.

"speech."

• ・゚ ✦ ° why do love and hate sound just the same to me - Arriving at the training area not long after, Oakridge turned to face his apprentice and sat down, tail curled neatly over his front paws. The massive tom's golden eyes were fond and bright as he regarded Moosepaw. His apprentice was always so eager to learn, his bubbly personality reminding Oakridge a little of himself when he had been younger. Chuckling quietly at the thought, the deputy flicked his ears and focused on what they were here for.

"Alright, let's begin with reviewing some basics. Show me your crouch and stalk towards that tree." Flicking his tail to indicate the target, Oakridge waited patiently for his apprentice to comply. They had worked a great deal on finding a way to stalk that was comfortable for Moosepaw. His balance was different from how DarkClan normally instructed their apprentices, so Oakridge was hopeful that the technique they had come up with was still working.

speaking thoughts

• Moosepaw pricked his ears and smirked light-heartedly regarding the instructions. He could do that! Ever since his very first training session with Oakridge, he had begun to practice more and more. The crouch that his mentor had taught him allowed him to finally move silently through the undergrowth, enabling him to continue to improve his hunting skills over the last couple of moons. So, with a proud grin, he dropped into the familiar crouch. What once felt unfamiliar and strange was now comfortable and instinctual. His paws had to be placed wider than most cats, but hey, it's what worked for him! The chocolate tom focused on the tree that the deputy pointed out and immediately began to stalk towards it. His body remained close to the ground, his tail hovering just over the forest floor. The awkward, clumsy apprentice was maturing and at long last, he was growing into his bulky body. After a few more strides, he reached the gnarled roots and straightened back up, whipping around excitedly to beam at his mentor. "How was that?" He asked eagerly, tail lashing back and forth.

"speech."

• ・゚ ✦ ° why do love and hate sound just the same to me - Chuckling fondly at his apprentice's enthusiastic look, the deputy nodded with approval, golden eyes shining with pride. Moosepaw had certainly come a long way, and the hours his apprentice put into practice were surely showing through in execution.

"Fantastic! You're improving a lot. Now, let's take those basics and start applying them to fighting, shall we?" Oakridge stood and moved towards Moosepaw, spending the next few minutes instructing him through a basic offensive attack, leaping onto an imagined target and raking his claws sharply down the enemy's "flank", slicing through thin air as he demonstrated. Going over the move a few times, he turned expectantly to his apprentice and gestured.

"Now, come at me with that attack I just showed you. Remember to keep your claws sheathed, though. As much as I love my daughter, I don't need to visit the medicine cat's den today for an injury." The massive blue tom's voice was light and teasing, eyes sparkling as he waited for Moosepaw to begin.

speaking thoughts

• Moosepaw grinned widely at the praise, feeling his stomach churn with butterflies. Any sort of compliment that came from Oakridge always brought the biggest smiles out of the kid. With intense focus, he'd watch the demonstrations, eyes flitting to and fro to soak in every detail of his mentor's movement. When he thought he finally had it down, he grinned and nodded before lowering himself into a crouch. Chuckling lightly at the joke, the apprentice made sure to keep his claws sheathed. "You got it!"

Sticking his tongue out as he concentrated, Moosepaw launched himself forward and struck out with his right forepaw. As he passed by the deputy, his paw trailed across his side, mimicking the attack that he had just been shown. If his claws had been out, surely it would have left a stretching scar. He'd finish the attack rather clumsily, quickly moving his paw back to the ground and trying to stop himself while balancing. Once he skidded to a halt, he'd peek over his shoulder with an alert expression, ears pricked to hear what Oakridge would say.

"speech."

• ・゚ ✦ ° why do love and hate sound just the same to me - The tall blue tom would watch his apprentice perform the exercise, nodding along and wincing only slightly when it looked like Moosepaw would faceplant into the dirt. Thankfully, the younger tom caught himself, but seemed to know that he had stumbled at the end. Sending his apprentice a cheerful look, Oakridge nodded encouragingly.

"Very good! You were a little rough on the finish there, though. Try going with your momentum, because often times you will find yourself carrying through this movement into some other maneuver, and trying to stop yourself won't help. So even if you don't have something planned, go with the inertia, at least until you're out of combat range."

Oakridge's tone was easy, friendly, because he was impressed that Moosepaw had done so well on his first try. Most apprentices were prone to stumbling the way he had, but not all of them were skilled enough to catch themselves. His apprentice was surely a quick study.

speaking thoughts

• Moosepaw let a small smile come to his face, releived that he wouldn't be chastised too much for his rough landing. He slowly turned back around to face his mentor as he spoke, nodding along and growing a bit more excited. "When do you think I'll be able to fight in a real battle, Oakridge?" He asked with wide eyes, dropping down into a play bow as his tail waved high in the air. He wanted action! He wanted to prove just how brave he was! The last time he'd seen any confrontation, it was when he had first joined the clan and that smelly coyote had cornered him. Without Smolderingstride and Frostbite, he would've been toast for sure. But now, he was stronger! He could handle his own, he was sure of it! Whether that was his naivety talking or not, only StarClan knew.

"speech."

• ・゚ ✦ ° why do love and hate sound just the same to me - Reaching out to playfully leave a light swat on his apprentice's shoulder, Oakridge's golden eyes sparkled with mirth. His apprentice was so eager to learn, to experience, and Oakridge had been the same at Moosepaw's age. But he sobered to answer the looming question - he wanted to be honest.

"I'll be honest, Moosepaw. I hope you never have to see battle. Most warriors train their whole lives and only see a pawful of them. They are nasty affairs that ruin relationships between Clans, break trust, and take lives. While we glorify them for prowess and exploits, they aren't for fun. I'm sure that your training will leave you prepared to physically do well, but it is hard to mentally prepare you for a battle." Oakridge himself had only been in one when he was much younger. It hadn't lasted long thankfully, and no one had died. But he had seen other battles against sharpteeth and wolves and the like. He hoped DarkClan would be at peace for a long time to come.

"But until then, we have to keep training. Try that maneuver again, and see if you can keep your balance using what I told you."

speaking thoughts