ONE STEP CLOSER | returning

• "Hey, come back!" The marbled vulpine did her best to shallow the frustration in her tone as she dashed after the younger girl, but this was really testing what little patience she had left. The playful nature of this stranger's actions assured her that the intentions were innocent, but that didn't dim the anxious blue flares in her irises as she watched the unknown feline skip away with her necklace. If it was any other object, she might have just allowed it to be run off with rather than deal with the trouble of a chase, but she couldn't lose this necklace; not again.

The odd tabby - Midi, as she had introduced herself - had been going on about some wonderful home that she insisted on sharing with her. In fact, Kiss was impressed with how much the winged child could talk while prancing at such a quick pace. Why she had taken an interest in her, she had no idea, but she couldn't be bothered with asking herself these questions right now. She just needed to retrieve her necklace and get back to her base so she could be on her way again. Her own home was in that piece of jewelry and no where else. Not anymore, at least.

"Where are you even taking me?" Asked the multi-tailed female as her steps finally began to catch up to those of Midi's. "If you could just return my necklace, I really need to be on my w--" Her voice cut off as their tracks slowed, the realization that the landscape was fading into a thickness of pines taking over whatever thought had previously been in her mind. She had never seen this forest before - as she had avoided it as well as she could - but an oh so familiar scent that radiated off of it's trees told her that her assumptions were correct. While it wasn't the old swampy woodland of her past, there was no doubt that this was home to the clan she once held an alliance to.

This place should feel familiar, but it didn't at all. Everything was different about it, even the name. Others in her situation might have grieved for the memories of their birthplace, but she found the variation sort of comforting. She no longer shared a connection to her former home, not that she had ever really felt in place there as it was. Oddly enough, the landscape had more in common with her second place of birth, the last location she had called home. Kiss was undecided if that fact made her feel closer or further away from it, but no matter her feelings, she had no choice but to enter the eerie undergrowth as Midi's form disappeared into it.

"We're home!" The kitsune heard the three-eyed girl call back to her, as if she had already joined their ranks once again. She had to admit that Midi's strange infatuation to befriend a random nomad was quite endearing despite her natural sense of "stranger danger" that had only grown stronger into her older years. For a moment, as the child looked back to her with three hopeful eyes, she let herself wonder what it would be like to give into the her wishes and remain here. A mess it would be, she reminded herself with an exhausted shake of her head. She was here to take back her necklace and that was it. She couldn't be getting caught up in the "what if"s and "maybe"s that tugged on the memories of what having a community at her flank was like. She had learned the hard way that the only one she could truly trust was herself, and being alone was the safest home she could claim.

"It surely is beautiful, like you said," Commented Kissingbeehives as she looked around at the growing plant life, a hint of impatience in her voice as she studied the scenery. "But I really should be getting back, so could I have my necklace please?" She melted away the tint of irritation in her expression to reveal a short smile towards Midi as she held out her paw. She couldn't help but be distracted at the sight of the mystic falls in the distance, it's waters practically calling her further into the territory, but she persisted in her stance. Even though the whispering winds through the pines were doing their best to knock down that dam of a wall inside her, urging her soul's river to flow out, she had to get going. For her good, and for the good of the Shadow Veilers.

" midi "

SLIPPING INTO THE DEEP END FEEL THE CURRENT WITHIN

shadow veil | member | pm for plotting | penned by claryn

• ✦ ✧ ✦ Midi wasn’t certain where she found this stranger, but that didn’t stop her from playing her favorite game. The tiny flame child loved playing keep away, and it seemed the stranger was willing enough. Her tiny head cocked back as she pranced, listening to the defiant coos of the much older female behind her the entire way. Joy would arch throughout her body and dance into her paws, which lit up with vibrant lights of many varieties. The main light that stuck out, one that she was most eager to show Kissingbeehives, was her bright purple one. Even while Midi was having the time of her life, spirits still screamed from all directions in her wake. However, it seemed she didn’t mind it all too much right now.

Turning back to look at her as she skidded to a halt, Midi had noticed they were home and much over the scent markers by now. That had been when she gave her careful coo, and now why she turned to the vulpine creature. Three eyes clicked onto her like a lock, and of course the child would finally oblige. Giving her back her necklace, the tiny child of Ver Million would grin. "Yous stay rights? You stays heres with Midi?"

"please dont hurt me."

a83af955a39ef5db573fe8bfc8ed050150e88745_128.jpg DSChristensen.128.388883.jpg b7a9bc11eea4f1282b4eefd1dec3ee17884bdc1f_128.jpg

I GUESS THAT I'VE GROWN HORNS

☾・゚. —— I GUESS I AM HUMAN NO MORE

midnightpaw | sv | apprentice | 11mo

• I still can't smile

the way you do —

"Midi." The flat tone of the shaderunner carried a certain sharpness to it as she addressed the younger girl, and, for the matter, the woman behind Midi. Probably dragged along by the child, but she was still a stranger, and strangers were still given the same treatment Adara always gave them, even if she could no longer attempt to impale the hostile ones. "Don't bring random strangers into the Veil as you please."

Adara couldn't understand the compulsiveness that the child held within her, as steely grey eyes bore into the woman before her, as though trying to unravel whatever mysteries there were just by looking. There would always be a distrust of strangers, even ones brought by other members of the Veil, even if they were vouched for. And especially so when it came to Midi, considering the woman was well aware that the girl could bring a bloodied Exiler into camp and not bat an eye.

If I stay with you

would I finally be able to change?

tags. | played by Mirror's Edge

• this , too , was his home once . . . still was , technically , though it was far different than what it used to be . there were no old faces here , and old family names had turned into obscure additions that were simply slapped onto a prefix , and the shadows , while comforting , were much more overwhelming than they used to be . he did not mourn the past , however , and much like for the vulpine , he had found the change comforting instead of becoming distraught , his breath falling easy after years of being baited inside of his old lungs . here , no one knew who he was , no one cared . no one knew the things he had done or would still continue to do should it benefit him , and his name had faded into obscurity like any other , washed away by the throws of time and space , disturbed by the universe in it's strange transition .

he suspected a part of his soul was still stuck out there , in the void , suspended in a state of stasis . his memories were still his own , as was all he had learned within the last six years of his life and countless more within the void , but everything else was distant . emotional attachment to who he had been was nowhere to be seen , the only vague feelings he could muster up pertaining to knowledge of that which no one knew . he had amassed several books , now , creating an ever increasing collection of those which could help to research , study and develop an understanding for not only what had happened , but why it happened ; who had done it , what had been the purpose , and everything else in between that and the rest . he had already spent countless of years honing his knowledge of the arcane arts , of the powers which everyone held within them , but he had only just barely scratched the inner workings of the universe , and kiss was , as much as he hated to admit it , a testament to everything he didn't know . he , too , stood there ; a man whose soul far out - aged his body , shoved back into a dimension so similar to what he remembered yet so different , operating under rules he both knew and didn't , with no recollection as to why it had happened , no explanations for the way he couldn't bring himself to feel anything towards the events and individuals of his past , even less so than he already had when he was alive .

his curiosity didn't fade , at least . the intrigue towards the unknown seemed to be the only thing that carried over , perhaps even moreso now that more questions had to be answered . many of the dead had come back to life even on earth , but it had never happened to him , and it had never been a focus on his research , more taken by the supernatural , soul - bound powers which had graced some of the earth's sentient creatures . he had been among them , and coming here he had realized , to his detriment , that many of the abilities he had were gone , though thankfully the most important ones had remained . it was that curiosity , though , that made it possible for him to go out and explore along with the others despite the fact that he would have likely preferred to stay home , nose in his books , mulling over philosophies of the universe .

the makeshift patrol he had joined ( or rather , had tagged along with after meeting up with adara on the territory and , not trusting her competence , decided to travel with ) came across midi and the stranger , and , for once , adara's voiced sentiments matched his own . gaze impassive , his eyes traveled from where midi stood to where kiss was , bright blue optics intensely focused on their apparently unwilling visitor , and after his companion's voice died down without inquiry towards the other , he was left to finish what had been started . " apologies for midi ; she can be . . . impulsive , " despite his innate distrust , he didn't let anything but polite formality fill his tone , offering her a dip of his head in cordial apology , though his eyes never seemed to waver from her , as if sensing something was . . . wrong . off . he couldn't quite place the feeling into words , but it was enough for him to not want to chase her off with a stick just yet . there were secrets waiting to be uncovered here ; he just needed the time to dig through them . " you are , unfortunately , on shadow veil territory at the moment , whether it was your intention or not . it would be best if you offered us your name , for the time being , and perhaps you can come to camp to rest , even if you won't stay as per her wishes , " one of his nine tails flicked towards midi at that statement , his lips tilting into a listless smile for a brief second before fading once more . " if not , I am certain you know which direction you came from . "

[ TAGS ]

• Having spent so much of their time mulling over what home truly meant to Cherry, there was disappointingly not much that the hybrid had settled on. Personally, the Veiler used the term sparingly since the word held such a more powerful meaning to most that invoked a sense of belonging and unconditional love. There was nothing about Cherry that belonged in Wind Haven nor in Shadow Veil and as such the hybrid couldn't come to say that there was anything about these places that they loved. Cherrypaw would even go as far as to say they positively despised Wind Haven, but stuck around just to keep checks on their siblings. Home just an uncomfortably confusing word that was way too complex and meaningful for what Cherry had initially assumed would be nothing more than a term used to describe where you slept to please assholes with big mouths.

"Blah, blah, kids are stupid, whatever old man. Got any more words to pull out your ass?" As they approached, Cherry's face tilted upwards to meet with the one of Saros who spouted his words out like it was food for the hungry, the hybrid clearly not finding the older male's words all too pleasant if the Veiler's furrowed expression lent anything to Cherry's mood. Vexation was at least something not far from Cherrypaw at any point of time. "I think you're being a little too harsh on Midi; the devil finds work for idle hands. And kidnapping really takes the edge off being bored as fuck." A sentence which Cherrypaw hadn't ever expected to escape their mouth given the absurdity of the sentiment, but today was just beginning to morph into 'one of those days'. The kinds where Cherrypaw could say that had witnessed an impromptu kidnapping at the hands of what was just a glorified child who used the premise of finding a necklace? Cherry was starting to sympathise with Kissingbeehives less and less as the story began to unfurl in front of the hybrid apprentice.

Peering over to the sight of the now kidnapped loner, Cherrypaw was unsure what to make of her. Pretty? Yes. Dumb? Well from what information had been placed in front of Cherrypaw, 'naive' was the lightest way that the Veiler could describe what they thought of Kissingbeehives at the moment. But the hybrid wasn't totally against the idea of allowing the kitsune to have her moment to explain away the baffling actions that she had taken in following a strange young girl right past clear borders and into Shadow Veil's camp. Maybe this necklace was a gift from God or whatever.

IN THE AIRPORT LOUNGE, SIPPIN' FREE BOOZE

IN ECONOMY, STILL GOT LEG ROOM ━━━━━

• A wave of relief flooded over Kissingbeehives as the necklace returned to her possession, blue eyes lightening just a bit in thankfulness. She was quick to re-fasten it around her neck and finally a small smile returned to her expression. She didn't know what she would have done if she had lost it again, but it seemed she was retrieving it in the same place she had been gifted it in the first place; her home clan. As faces gathered, she wasn't surprised that she recognized none of them. Generations had gone by since she last resided in the Shadow Veil, and she had heard whispers that she was now a great-great-grandmother. Time flew by in the afterlife, she supposed.

Compared to Midi, two of the other three seemed quite harsh of personalities. Their words didn't give off the most welcoming of vibes, but she didn't really need to feel welcomed. She was born here, after all. Maybe not in these same forests, but the same clan nonetheless. "While I might be a stranger to you, I'm not a stranger to the Shadow Veil," Responded the kitsune in an equally flat tone of voice. The dark coated canine in who spoke next seemed much less bothersome to deal with, and so she turned her navy gaze to him. "My name is Kissingbeehives Resurgam. I had made camp temporarily nearby when Midi found me, but I didn't know the Veil's territory was so close."

The younger girl's grin beamed at her, adorable as ever, and despite how much Kiss wanted to refuse her offer, she stood conflicted. Membership here had been sprinkled with heartache and memories she would much rather forget in her past life, but she supposed that things were different now. The clan had evolved in not only it's culture, but it's members and even it's name. She couldn't help but think of the possibility that her uncle had influenced her necklace from beyond the grave to bring her back here for a reason. Although she had grown accustomed to the ways of nomadic life, there was no doubting that she had always thrived in a community setting as much as it frightened her. "I'll stay," She replied finally, returning Midi's smile with an accepting softness before looking towards the others to search their expressions for approval.

SLIPPING INTO THE DEEP END FEEL THE CURRENT WITHIN

shadow veil | member | pm for plotting | penned by claryn

• caliban could not help but wait back as he rested his hues upon the bizarre collection of veillers. each of them seemed to have their own drastic reactions to the stranger stood upon the border. whether it was scolding the child for bringing her upon their treasured territory, or whether it was speculation towards the previously mentioned veillers being too harsh on her. now how could such a place have such a bizzarely broad spectrum of characters? caliban wasn't quite sure, but he assessed that perhaps now was not the right moment to be questioning those he lived amongst. instead, he simply allowed for his lips to tilt into a charming smile. "perhaps midi should not be the topic of discussion?" it was the only way he could think to bring their attentions back to the current problem. although perhaps the child luring other strangers onto their land could raise a problem for them or herself in the future. "i mean, she wasn't kidnapped so there was no harm done, right?" ah, maybe that was relatively naive of him to say.

alas, he turned his attention to the "returner" as she had called herself, his expression curious. the cougar hybrid could only wonder what had brought her back to her home. or was that all he could do? "so why'd you leave?" there was a pause from him, it seemed perhaps midi was not the only impulsive one around here. "i mean, if you're comfortable with answering that love, and why come back? the charm?" he threw in a blatant wink before settling back. it'd been hurting him to not just be himself around his new clanmates, and so, here he was, chatting up the random on the border. or at least miserablly attempting to.

BRUSH MY TEETH WITH BLEACH 'CAUSE I AIN'T GOT TIME FOR CAVITIES

TAGS / SHADOW VEIL / 8 MONTHS / MALE / PENNED BY TAZMAN

• ✦ ✧ ✦ Midnightpaw found excitement in having a new friend, and to be discredited made her whimper. This was upsetting to the girl, because it had been much like when she pleaded for Ivory to stay and she had been disregarded. Now, however, her word mattered more, and as she went to defend herself, others swooped in. Not to mention, her new friend said they would stay. Turning to Kissingbeehives, she smiled and a gentle purr left her lips as she scooted closer, rearing up on hindlegs to attempt to grasp her in a generous hug. "You stays! She stays! New friends to alls!" she squeaks out happily, moving closer and attempting to curl around her paw, glancing as Caliban spoke.

"please dont hurt me."

a83af955a39ef5db573fe8bfc8ed050150e88745_128.jpg DSChristensen.128.388883.jpg b7a9bc11eea4f1282b4eefd1dec3ee17884bdc1f_128.jpg

I GUESS THAT I'VE GROWN HORNS

☾・゚. —— I GUESS I AM HUMAN NO MORE

midnightpaw | sv | apprentice | 11mo

• if he heard cherry , saros didn't bother giving him the attention he knew the child most likely desired . his words were nothing more than prattle inside of his head , the annoying buzz of a fly that was easily brushed off as he continued to gaze steadily at kiss , awaiting her response rather than anyone else's . he knew his purpose here , what he was seeking to gain . when her gaze turned towards him , he held it politely , careful to make it obvious he was not approaching this with any of the hostility of the others ( specifically adara , though she had a point he wasn't willing to admit at that point . ) he listened , ears perking up at her statement , as if some secret clue had been offered for him to investigate . perhaps his intuition was right , and he was not alone in this bizarre situation he had found himself in ; in a new body , but in a theoretically similar place , plucked out of the recesses of the darkness of the universe to be settled down in this strangely familiar but unfamiliar group .

" understandable , " he hummed , letting the others get their words in , ears flicking back to listen to the commotion as she offered her assent . " the veil doesn't turn down anyone new , let alone someone who is coming back , so . . . welcome . perhaps you'll find what it is you seek here . I am saros , of the diabolus family , do you need anyone to show you to camp ? " perhaps , if he hadn't mastered the ability to school his tone and expression into neutrality , he might have sounded like an over - eager child , staring at it's new strange acquisition . thankfully he didn't , although the thinly veiled excitement was still settled deep in his stomach , coiling around his heart . perhaps he would get answers , now ; or , if not those , some inkling of where to start finding them . either way , he was loathe to let this opportunity go .

[ TAGS ]