GOOD MORNING -- orion

• If she'd been much fresher from the collapse, the process of being a spiderling to the wind, of being broken, S would have sent her apprentice to run up the side of the Haven's mountain ranges until she was sure some sense had gotten into him. A child seeking out an adult when they hadn't been explicitly told to is absurd. It's practically insubordinate. It would have been enough for any adult to have him whipped or worse. Any adult apart from the mentor keen on Adara, the soft one shaped into an example for the rest.

She doesn't want to be soft like that.

The somali had agreed to meet Orion regardless of her stance on the matter, because either General could punish her for being an improper mentor. She doubts they would but the threat hangs like a sword over her head. The cursed, niggling feeling that they need to be not only served but honored brings that sword closer to her neck. She won't be soft like them. The Haven needs teeth that can bare and bite and protect; if indulging in her apprentice's request will get her that, the so be it. "What quarry does the hunter have today?" The question is more about the reason to be here than any actual prey. For once she's the one hunting for answers and she doesn't like it.

// Orion R.B.K.

[ TAGS ]

UT INCEPIT FIDELIS SIC PERMANET

WIND HAVEN — SOMALI CAT — GUARDIAN

The post was edited 1 time, last by --s ().

• Orion is still hurting. He managed to go mostly uninjured in the raid, or rather, had managed to avoid serious injuries. Despite that, he is still battered and bruised, and perhaps that's why he hadn't been able to fight back when that little girl had calmed him and crept into his mind, keeping him in place while she pulled his tooth from his jaw. He hadn't gone without a fight, and at the very least, he has something to show for it. As S inquires after his 'quarry', as she put it, he drops the claws from where he had been holding it between his teeth. His tongue flicks out for a second over the spot where his tooth had been, something almost instinctual as he tries to get used to the empty space.

His gaze turns up towards her; he isn't much smaller, thanks to the kitsune blood in him, but he's still young enough and small enough that he remains beneath her. His paw lifts to push the blood-red claw towards her. His gaze attempts to search hers, and for a few seconds he doesn't speak, only doing so when he decides he won't find what he's looking for in her eyes.

"It isn't not a tooth, but I thought you might appreciate it regardless," the catsune says to her, inclining his head slightly as he speaks. It's a show of respect, in some regard. He looks up once more, curious what she'll say, or what she might think. "It's better than nothing," he adds after a moment of thought. It didn't require any skill; it had simply broken off in his mouth when Bloodpoppy pulled his tooth out. S doesn't need to know that, though. He'll let her think what she wants, unless she happens to ask how he came by it. Even if he prefers that she think he did something to earn it, he won't outright lie to his mentor.

[ SORRY YOU FEEL SO BAD ]

image0.png?width=776&height=611

I THINK I'M JUST ABOUT AS SORRY AS I'LL EVER BE

you took your shots but missed your swings and now you're missing me

orion r.b.k. | cassiopeia x aradia | wind haven | penned by tully

• Her mismatched gaze doesn't linger long on him once the matter comes to her attention. Before it even gets a formal introduction the blood draws her to it. Small things, claws, and so fragile. They're made of the same stuff as teeth but it takes so much more to get a full one. Costs the victim so much more, too. Ooh, you can learn to chew around a missing tooth, but nothing would really compensate for a missing claw. Not if it was done right. Not if it was taken in full.

A tiny, disgusting part of her wants to tell Orion to keep the claw. It's his first trophy, his first sign of strength. His first victory. Keeping the claw would be a reminder of what he's done and what he stands to do. S keeping the claw signifies too many things to be good news, oh no. That she's mentoring him well. That he's getting stronger. That he'll be able to hold his own in a fight. That he likes her. This, this claw, feels different to when she would take and accept teeth from her fellow soldiers. Feels different to Lemon ignorantly giving her his tooth, too. But she'll take it.

"Who's it from?" She places her paw over the claw, feels it fit not quite right with the others, toys with it. The hollow girl doesn't know as much about them, claws, as she does teeth, but it feels like a trophy all the same. Maybe even a badge of honor. One that her apprentice won that she'll wear on her chest like her own. It'll need its own bag. "How old were they?"

[ TAGS ]

• His eyes follow her paw's movement as she reaches out and touches the broken claw. She seems... subdued. She's lacking her usual energy, and he can't help but think that something he did caused that, but is there really any way for him to fix it? No. She finally speaks, only asking questions, and he can't find it in himself to refuse to answer her. He's her apprentice after all; he has no reason to deny her the explanations that she wants from him.

"I don't know her name," he admits. "It was after the raid. There was this girl. She looked like a cat, but she was big... just a little bit taller than me, I believe, and she was white with these red markings on her." It isn't the most detailed explanation, but he's sure he could recognize her if he were to ever see her again. "As for her age...? I couldn't tell you exactly, but she was young. I'd guess she was maybe a month or so younger than me, if I had to put a number to her."

He's curious why she wants to know, but he doesn't say anything out loud. It isn't his place to question her. If she wants to explain herself to him, she will; otherwise, he simply needs to accept that he won't know the answer.

• "Good. Don't know their names." She tells herself the tone is to avoid being soft, the avoid being what Adara's mentor had become. She tells herself the biting command in her voice is to make Orion stronger in the ways that Haveners wouldn't understand. She tells herself that not knowing their names will make him feel better where it had made her feel worse. Not knowing is better than not remembering. Very few names of her targets stuck in her memory, the majority of them washed away by tides of blood, but S kept their teeth when she could. She'll keep the claw, too.

Her apprentice did well to fight off someone larger than him, and she makes note of how young the mystery girl must have been. The Ruins aren't above using children, which makes them smart in the razor way the Order had been. The Generals will need to know so their sticky morals don't leave them stuck to the floor in shock next time. There's always a next time. "You'll need to know how to fight creatures bigger and older than you. They won't expect it. You won't have that advantage for long, no siree. What should your mark be next time, so you win?" There's always a next time. Even if Orion doesn't keep his kitten fluff for long there will be another attack before he has all his adult teeth, she's sure. His youth could win him a battle. Could win her a tooth, if she isn't soft on him now.

[ TAGS ]

• All he does to respond to the first comment is give a small nod, and acknowledgement of her lesson without outright responding. He doesn't need to, and she knows that. She won't be bothered by it, he's sure. He waits, remaining quiet and in place as she pauses for a moment, then begins to speak again. He nods once more, and then she's questioning him, and he has no choice but to respond, right?

"The throat," he begins. That one is obvious. "The inner sides of the upper legs." That one is less obvious, but there are arteries there, just as there are in the throat. "The Achilles tendon." The back of the ankle. It's difficult to lose to someone who can't move quick enough to hurt you, and severing that tendon will incapacitate them for a long time. "The eyes." An injury to the eyes hurts, and if they've never lost their sight before, could incapacitate them as well as cutting the Achilles tendon. He hadn't been quick enough, had been hesitate to hurt the girl since she seemed so young, but he won't be so weak next time.

• Each response, short and to the point, confirms that the first bricks of a foundation have been lain. Orion may have come back with only a claw but he knows what can be done, should be done, in order to win a fight. Bringing back a tooth would be the clearest victory in her mind. The claw isn't bad. Orion isn't, either. The fact that he hasn't died proves that he's worth being taught, that fact that he's bringing back trophies means he has the drive to win. The fact that he knows what to do means that he can. "Fighting dirty is always an option. Ooh, hitting them in the muzzle won't look flash, but it will win you extra time to hit your marks."

The fact that she's giving him extra tips means nothing.

She wraps the claw up in a leaf, slips the parcel up by her gums. She'll be able to get it back to her place easily now and not worry about losing it in the walk. Also means she doesn't have to feel it in her paw, so out place for something that should match. Looking at Orion, the boy she's sharpening into a blade for the Haven, she wonders if he feels that way, too. Out of place. "Anything else you need to know? Anything else to say?"

[ TAGS ]