losing you ★ ichabod

• It was approximately a day or two since Ichabod joined and he constantly lingered in the back of her mind. How was his wound? Was he okay? It got to the degree where she started to ask around on the whereabouts of the cream-colored tom and soon she had found the location where he making his residence at. The molly had seized her herbal satchel before making her way down to the cave on the beach as she stopped at the entrance before calling out, "Hello? Ichabod, it's me— Missio." Once she had announced her presence, she would step in slowly and glance around for the newcomer. As she advanced further into the cave there was different scientific instruments coming into sight and she inches closer to observe them. Ichabod was an intriguing person and there was a mysterious yet compelling atmosphere around the male. In a strange sense, he had proved Missio's theory correct: newcomers brought new things to clan life whether it be a positive or negative impact. He seemed deeply interested in science and maybe before he lost his memories, Ichabod could do some labs without looking.

ICHABOD.

"you asked me, "do you wanna die alone, or watch it all burn down together?"

i said i'd rather try to hold on to you forever" information

• Ichabod felt as if he was chasing a memory, or following in the footsteps of someone he didn’t personally know. Yet, that person was him- before the accident, at least. He had made his home in one of the caves by the beach; calm and mostly out of the way, it discouraged stranger visits, and plus was spacious enough to begin to assemble measuring instruments. It seemed some information remained in his head; he found finding the parts he needed almost second nature, and the conquest for knowledge drove him forward in strides.

His first paper, he decided, would be analyzing the temperature of the nearby climate compared to the kingdom’s health. It was no scientific breakthrough- not exactly renamination- but he was curious and thus preceded with his research, trying to find some correlation or causation. He had found a primitive thermometer- somehow he could remember the name- and he would drive the metal tip into things, and record the number at which the fluid moved to.

He had already taken an average of the sand inside his cave and the water outside, and when Missio came, the thermometer was dangling out of his mouth as he waited for the mercury inside to change.

Missio came in unexpectedly, and the tom kept the thermometer in as he turned around, nodding to her, and looked at the thermometer. Writing something down, he pulled the thermometer out and place it on the table he had totally not stolen from an empty house.

”one-o-one ...point.... two, ish.” He had a bad habit of saying whatever he was writing out loud; it helped him to remember what he was doing but it made for terrible secret-keeping. ”Hello, Missio. Sorry about the mess, I uh... didn’t expect anyone over.” He should probably erect a ‘don’t come in sign’ but he’d include a disclaimer for Missio. On the other hand, if that Aether guy showed up, Ichabod amused himself with the thought of finally getting to have a live test subject.

”I was just taking my temperature- I’m doing a study about the general health around here but I didn’t think about the high probability most people will not let me put a thermometer in them. Plus thermometers will only detect pyrexia and the presense of that doesn’t always- maybe I could just ask, but that lends itself to lying and then it becomes self-reporting and then it’s not credible and then I-“ Wait, she was listening, and he realized he was just rambling.

”Uhm.... well, my head’s better at least. No residual pain from the stitching... headaches constant, of course, but that’s a given if I really did have a brain injury.” He spoke, admiring her stitchwork, but frowned at the mention of brain trauma. He had hoped that slowly his memories would trickle back, but all he had was scientific knowledge; he didn’t even know his own last name. ”But, ah.. why are you here?”

IMMORTAL SOUL... OUR INNER BEING!

( DOES IT PERISH, DOES IT ENDURE WITH THE FLESH? )

( tags ) ( plot ) ( madster )

• Missio wasn't one who snooped around in others belonging because it wasn't hers and it was disrespectful to plunder (so she was hopefully keeping a respectful distance) while she observed everything. Her ears flick at the sound of the male's footfall and she shifts her focus in the direction only to come to sight of a thermometer drooping from his mouth. It was a strange sight and a little amusing to see out of nowhere, so her lips perched in a natural yet gentle smile. Silly, the molly thinks softly at the sight as her gaze drifts until he finally speaks up once more after his recording. After his statement, Io giggles and shakes her cranium to dismiss his apology as she purrs, "You're fine, I am the one intruding after all." Not to mention that she had also entered without his permission. There wasn't anything between her and Aether, she wasn't sure either why he went out the way to bolster her mood or cheer her up. Missio wasn't complaining as it had been a long time since she had physical contact and it strangely reminded her a lot of her father's warm embrace and comfort.

Ichabod decided to alternate the conversation and thoroughly explained his actions for the use of the thermometer. The molly sincerely didn't mind as often she loved to hear others talk about the possessions or hobbies that they loved. The genuine brightness in their eyes and the corner of their lips upturned slightly to create a soft smile while they gazed upon whatever they discussed. He talked about it being strange if he asked for someone to volunteer and assist in his work on helping improve the general health and get a accurate research (which she could relate to). Personally, Io would love to assist him in any way that she could but his research could be drastically incorrect due to her ice elemental powers. "I would of loved to help but my elemental powers could cause erroneous results," the molly would convey after noticing he finally caught himself rambling and the slight hint of embarrassment which flooded over him. After some difficult life events and her PTSD, she grew extremely accommodating, amenable, selfless and self-neglecting in her personality. If it kept her preoccupied to the point that she couldn't recall those horrible memories and exhausted her to the point that she could sleep without nightmares, it was all worth it.

As he discusses his injury and notes the creasing in his eyebrows, the blue Siamese inches forth and attempts to rub a toe and massage his eyebrows gently. "Don't frown," she would purr warmly as she places her paw down before continuing "you'll start growing grey hairs before you get old." It was a joke to help ease the atmosphere as she smiles gently at his inquire for her visit. "I just came to check on you and uh," she closes her eyes and her smile turns sheepish smile as she pulls out The Alchemist and tilts her head "you seemed to like to read so... wanna read together?" It was a little strange to ask someone you barely knew to sit and read with you, but it did help ease her embarrassment knowing that the two of them could bond on books. It reminded her of a quote that she had stumbled across in a book before, 'Let us be grateful to people who make us happy, they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom.'

• Ichabod listened intently to her every word; a sense of childlike wonder filled up within him, she spoke of... elemental powers? His eyes widened. He had read about that in the library; due to the high outputs of energy this continent produced, some creatures were flowing with seemingly supernatural abilities, far beyond regular animal power. He looked at her with awe- no wonder he was so interested in her. She really was some sort of divine.

Yet besides the elemental control, there was something else he liked. It was the way she treated everyone so... kindly. He knew this was a dog-eat-dog world, yet here was she, her words comforting. She teasingly chastised him about his worry and touched him and something blossomed inside. He couldn’t name it. Ir was something he had never felt- even before the incident, he knew. Although it lasted for mere seconds, he felt like he was going into cardiac arrest.

Yet when she pulled away and discussed her rationale for stopping by, he was not dead- even more so alive than he thought. She wanted to read with him. It was so domestic, so tranquil, that it took him off guard. His life had begun with pain and up until now he had been navigating trying to reclaim what had been lost and the strange political uprising in Solaris.

He settled down, deciding it would be more comfortable if they reclined on the warm sands instead of just standing. ”I- I’d enjoy that. Whatever you’d like.... maybe you could read to me? It’s a little difficult for me to make out the words sometime with my headaches.” Ichabod felt guilty for lying- he could read perfectly fine- but he wanted to hear her voice more than he cared to read himself. ”Oh- uhm- but before we pick out something- can you tell me... what’s going on in Solaris? People seem almost divided around here.” He would ask innocently, although that furrow in his brow returned; curiosity, but fear too, sparked inside his golden eyes.

• The two of them were drawn into each other's word as if they both stood on a magnetic field, one was the negative (surely, that was her) while the other was the positive pole— Ichabod. His interest seemed to peak once she had mentioned her elemental powers, golden gaze widened in awe which instantly caused her ears to heat in embarrassment. Surely he had noticed that others around the Kingdom had assorted powers of their own? Unlike most who unveiled their competences, she had been born with the icy chill of her powers which were useful yet so dangerous. As one had once stated, 'Beauty is poisonous'. While the male perhaps believed to be some deity— she believed herself to be quite the wallflower and she didn't wish for others to pray nor kiss at her feet because of her personality of tendering hands which begged to help everyone. In the moment of silence after her touch, the molly glances at her paw which was warm to the touch and attempts to form a firm snowflake which took the form of a hexagram with eccentric shapes weaved in it. Casual things crafted with her powers she had no issue with and it wouldn't last long, but his interest seem as if he was anxious to see more.

"For you," Io would purr softly as she holds the snowflake in her paw which was extended out to offer it to him. A minute or two elapses and he spouts a innocent lie— her eyebrows furrow gently at the mention of his headache as she glances at his wound. Hopefully that it wouldn't be much longer until the headaches which accompanied him because of the laceration on his forehead thus she smiles brightly and nods, "Of course, I'd love to." It was nice to sit on the sand with someone of common interests without any worries of the world outside the cave that they settled in at the moment, her tail twitching excitedly. However, at the inquire from Ichabod who was curious on the ordeal in Solaris Kingdom— she glances to the entrance of the cave and her mayan blue gaze drifts off into focus. What was the true explanation for the seemingly divide of their clansmen? "Claes is a gentle King and he wishes for the safety of his people to be all," she would start slowly "one or two people had been taken by the Exiles."

The mention of the Exiles causes her jaw to tighten as she turns suddenly to the cream toned male with her gaze focused intently on him as she places her paws on his, a pleading and nervous look in her eyes. "Please don't ever associate with them, Ichabod. They're... horrible people," her voice has grown weak and she slowly removes her paws as she anxiously fiddles with the fluorite stone around her neck before starting on the the division of their clansmen, "they had taken Bourbonkit and someone else, Marigold gathered a patrol and headed into their territory to retrieve them without consulting with Claes." It was a wise yet foolish arrangement because only Bourbon was brought back and Alabaster had decided to stay with the people who plagued her dreams and formed the void in her heart. They could've ambushed, captured as some of their high positions which were to support Claes had went. They would quite literally be destroying the hierarchy of Solaris Kingdom if anything had gone in the opposite direction. "Some call a incompetent ruler because he didn't launch a patrol but you're stomping into enemy territory, what if they went to retrieve our members and it became a altercation?"

• The bright-eyed scientist looked up at Io, listening to her gentle-phrased words. Claes was an unknown name to him, to be honest- it ashamed him that he had been here a few days and hadn’t even met their leader. She spoke about the Exiles and he nodded. He knew about the evil that lurked in this world- despite his amnesia, that concept had not been lost on him. Although it would be nationalistic of him if he assumed Solaris were always the ‘good guys’, it seemed the Exiles lived to cause suffering. He blinked. How could someone live like that? To make your entire purpose to instill fear into this planet?

For every action, there was an equal and opposite reaction- this he knew well. It seemed the patrol was the opposite reaction. He understood both sides of the argument and that made it hard to ever pick a side, but when he ever pick sides? He considered himself an observer- a researcher. It wasn’t his job to be stewed in with politics and battles. He would just write it down.

”I see. Thank you, Missio- ah... could I just call you Io?” Io was a beautiful moon of Jupiter and it reminded him of her naturally celestial presence, but just something... friendlier.

”Oh- ah- what do you want to read? Whatever you like, I’m sure I’ll enjoy.” He smiled purely for once- no underlying expression of confusion or fear. He was honest now.

• Much like Ichabod, the molly didn't prefer the spewing of politics or battles. In all honesty, if she could-- then she would one hundred percent vouch for world peace so that all the children could grow up in safe homes. A heart full of naive beliefs and purity despite knowing the true darkness which hid underneath the covers of Agrelos. It did all take u-turn back to the questions that he asked. How could someone live in such a horrible way? Was it enjoyable to inflict suffering on the innocent for selfish pleasure? The deliberation caused her blood to boil in rage, complete hatred that she never felt before to those demons who felt joy in that. Io has to relax the tension building in her shoulders with a deep exhale which ripples past her lips, trying to imagine her serene dimension for the seconds which her eyes blackened the world around her. However, the male's inquire on calling her 'Io' shakes her false reality and her mayan blue gaze flutters open. "Mhm, you're allowed to. Some others do because it's easier," the blue point would start as she tilts her head slightly and murmurs, "can I call you Ich?"

Being as she only had one book on her, The Alchemist— which she flashes the cover towards him. A majority of the books in her collection had already been nitpicked and read down to the bone, and she had yet to collect anymore from the time being. "I read it once already but... I feel as if you could really relate with the main character." Io would purr softly as she places the book before the two of them and starts once more, "Remember that wherever your heart is, there you will find your treasure.”" To have confidence in yourself and stay true to yourself, despite admiring the quote to a motivating degree— Io found it hard at times to stay true to herself and lacking the confidence to move on to the next day with her father.

• Ichabod watched every micro-expression cross Io’s face. He somehow had yet another revelation- he didn’t really care about whatever he was studying- line graphs and accuracy percentages and calculus fell flat in his own mind. He wanted to study people.

He watched her, stared deep into those ocean eyes of her, and held his breath. She was his muse, his inspiration- and he wanted to burst out, to grasp her face and tell her about his new, relocated dream. He could control the world around him and forgo whatever he was before the incident if he could understand people. He didn’t even need to do any soul-searching or retracing.

Whoever Ichabod was before the incident was dead to him. It didn’t matter now. He didn’t need parents or ancestors or a hometown if he had his own goals. Io could see his sudden restlessness- he wanted to hold her and sing praises of her ability to inspire him. However, she spoke and he relaxed. He settled down, adjusting the goggles on his head.

Where was his heart? Did it lie with Missio? In his new pursuit of psychology and the unconscious? With his past self? Where could he find his treasure? Although his mind raced with the possibilities- he decided in this moment, his heart- and treasure- laid with Missio. He found it in her. “Sorry. Can I ask another question?” Ichabod cut in as she read a little more. “Where does your heart lay?” It was open-ended; Ichabod was studying her. It was as loving as an amnesiac scientist could be- he would include Io in his research.

• Conceivably, she too had once the yearning to grab her romantic partner. They both consciously yearned to be embraced by someone— she too, wished for someone to embrace her and wash everything that plagued her away. Warmth could be addicting and Io was naturally cold to her elemental powers, the warmth that she never truly got was like sand in one's hand. The grains of sand always slipped between the cracks, thus that was truly how she felt. Each and everyone had warmth but it was temporary, she yearned for the warmth as an apprenticeship. Unlike Ichabod, some part of her was envious that he had amnesia because if his past was traumatic— then he would have no remembrance of it until his memories ever returned. Though it was also a bit depressing to think about if you were ever to meet friends and family of the past and not to know them, to receive those pained glances that perhaps months or years of knowing each other went down the drain. Io could feel his gaze studying her intently and her gaze makes eye contact with his, her entire face heating rapidly in a bashful manner.

What was so interesting about me? It made her ponder and question why Ichabod was a bit more friendly with her compared to others, a bit dense to know that it was that he truly had emotional feelings for her. Why is my face so hot? What am I, a little girl? The more that the former Practitioner thought about it, perhaps a faint shade of pink could be found spreading from ear to the inner part of her ears. When was the last time she felt like this? When she met Crownpaw back as a child? Embarrassed, she rubs her cheek softly as her ears twitch nervously until the voice of the male catches her once more. As he apologizes, she playfully puffs her cheeks out and gives him the look which clearly states 'It's nothing to apologize for'. Where did her heart lie? Often it felt empty as if she didn't have a heart anymore but sometimes being with Ichabod made her realize that she still did have one. "I wouldn't say I truly know where my heart lay" the blue point would start slowly as she glances at him, "But I think I'm starting to find it once more."