father's daughter | volarian on border

• Sugarpaw was tired from the long trek, one which Pepper had deigned not to follow her on, but she had finally arrived at the Veil border. Looking around, the qualea hummed as she took it all in.

Everything was dark here. The moss was soft and spongy underpaw, far removed from the slippery greenery that grew close to the earth back home. But the trees seemed ghostly somehow, paler in the absence of the sun. It didn't permeate far down, blocked out by leaves far above her head in a faint haze of light. Looking up into the canopy, she decided that this had to be the right place. Either that, or the actual territory that the Shadow Veil dewlled in, the so-called “whispering pines”, really needed to move over because these pines really did seem like they were whispering. It was quiet, too, aside from the whistling of a harsh and icy breeze through the thick canopy of the pine trees. It was so different to the place she'd been born, to the place she lived now ... Why was she here again? Right, right. Invitation.

Oh.

This was the place from her vision.

Chyme flickered into view momentarily, a brief visual reminder of the prophecy she'd given: “We are not the only one with a bond like our own.”

Maybe today was when it would come to fruition ... but that aside, Sugarpaw was both apprehensive and a little excited. She'd only met a few strangers from outside of the Flights, and now she was going to meet a whole lot of them! All she hoped for was that they didn't try to attack her, that wouldn't do at all.

“Hello?” She called out, taking a chance that someone sentient was nearby.

the space where no one's been

I SEE THAT YOU ARE THIN, THE NIGHT IS GETTING DIM

VOLARY FLIGHTS | QUALEA | INFORMATION | PENNED BY WREN

• The scent of the Flights is what drew him. Though, he wasn't sure why- he'd been actively trying to avoid his former clan since he joined the Veil, for fear of... something. Being found, or having to face his past as he'd had to with Enjolras (though that had gone interestingly enough), maybe. Thankfully, the stranger was just that- a stranger -to himself and the Veil. Little did he know that he was facing his past, anyway.

He slipped fluidly between the dense pines, having grown accustomed to them now. The low light was easy on his single eye, and the scent of the trees helped soothe his nerves. It was indeed different from the Flights- there, the jungle's trees were many but lacked the density of this forest, and it had been further thinned by the great fire. It had been teeming with birds and their songs, while here there were simply winds that whispered names and secrets you could just barely make out. It was so different indeed, but Kira liked it. It was indeed different from the Sundran jungle, and it helped him further the illusion that he could escape that place forever.

Hello? He was almost upon the apprentice when she gave her call, and soon Kira materialized in front of her, pale lavender gaze peering into her own. Christ, she looks like me, he thought idly, but gave the realization no weight to carry. It didn't seem like anything out of the ordinary. Plenty of people looked alike these days.

"Greetings," he hummed, his voice mahogany and rich, ears twitching. "What brings you to the Veil, Miss ...?"

i could either drown, or pull off my skin and swim to shore

NOW I CAN GROW A BEAUTIFUL SHELL FOR ALL TO SEE

YOSHIKAGE KIRA | SHADOW VEIL | EX VOLARY FLIGHTS LEADER | STORAGE | PLAYED BY MEGHAN

• june hadn't seen too many volarians apart from enjolras around for a little while. he wasn't too involved in their other allies, though the sanguine ruins was an exception since he had been the clan's ambassador since he was six months old. all he knew of the clan was that they had birds and that they used to be a clan called " hawkclan " and nothing much else.

the aeternum boy was wandering about, a pass - time that he'd gotten more and more involved in after receiving his prosthetic limb, when he'd came across the smell of volary flights and could hear kira talking to someone nearby. the siamese tom draws forth on his long limbs at a steady pace, blazing sapphire gaze settling on the face of the other apprentice, sugarpaw. he settles at kira's side, the tall boy's feathery tail flicking idly behind his lean frame.

"hey." he'd greet in light tones, his voice a quiet but holding a lazy sort of notion to it. he offers a slight smile, one out of mostly courtesy than that of genuine friendliness.

𝐈'𝐋𝐋 𝐁𝐑𝐄𝐀𝐊 𝐌𝐘 𝐁𝐎𝐍𝐄𝐒 𝐓𝐈𝐋' 𝐀𝐋𝐋 𝐌𝐘 𝐒𝐂𝐀𝐑𝐒 𝐁𝐋𝐄𝐄𝐃 𝐆𝐎𝐋𝐃𝐄𝐍 ・゚✧

𝘫𝘶𝘯𝘦𝘱𝘢𝘸 𝘢𝘦𝘵𝘦𝘳𝘯𝘶𝘮 / 𝘴𝘩𝘢𝘥𝘰𝘸 𝘷𝘦𝘪𝘭 / 𝘪𝘯𝘧𝘰𝘳𝘮𝘢𝘵𝘪𝘰𝘯 / 𝘱𝘦𝘯𝘯𝘦𝘥 𝘣𝘺 𝘺𝘢𝘬𝘢𝘯

• Sugarpaw almost took a step back when a pair of eyes materialised out of the darkness, near the same colour as her own but a different shape entirely, and she was struck with the strangest sense of deja vu as a stranger emerged. He ... looked a lot like her. That was unsettling. Chyme, was this your doing? She called silently to her companion, heart sinking when the ghostly apparition didn't give her an answer. That said, at the same time, the Qualea knew that she'd never met this tom in her life, and she held her ground even as her mental guard raised.

Another set of pawsteps caught her attention before she could respond, a point-faced tom (who looked only a little older than Sugarpaw herself, but she'd always been atrocious at judging age) joined the two fawn tabbies and greeted her.

"Hello," she responded to them both politely, nodding. "Ah, my name is Sugarpaw. I'm from the Flights, as you've probably guessed ... here to swap recent news in our Clans, and extend an invitation to a party coming up soon. Which would you like to hear first, Misters ...?" Her question was directed at both of the Veilers, prompting introduction.

• She looked surprised. His brows furrowed slightly with suspicion; his ears perked forward just a hair. Perhaps she's just skittish. It seemed the most rational possibility, so it's the one his mind ran with. He stared in silence, analyzing her as she spoke. He hardly noticed Junepaw sitting next to him now, but when he did realize the younger feline there, he gave a brief nod of greeting. After all, he liked to be polite.

As she spoke, he eased slightly. There was nothing weird about this after all. Not that... he suspected anything weird in the first place, of course. Sugarpaw was a regular stranger, and that was that. They looked eerily similar- plenty of people did! How many black cats were there in the world? Surely fawn tabbies weren't so uncommon! Kira tilted his head just slightly as she revealed the two possible paths of conversation. Either an invite or news, hm? Well, he wasn't too up-to-date on happenings in Agrelos, so perhaps it would be good to go with that option first. After all, the Flights was where he'd truly built a home, no matter how he'd severed ties with it.

Misters...? "Kira," he introduced, not bothering with his first name. After Theo decided to call him Yoshi, a nickname specifically reserved for someone else, he'd made the decision to not divulge such information in the first place. "News sounds lovely, but I'm afraid I can't speak much on the Veil's behalf. I'm sure I can leave that to Junepaw, though..." he answered her question, gaze flicking to the boy beside him before it refocused on her.

i could either drown, or pull off my skin and swim to shore

NOW I CAN GROW A BEAUTIFUL SHELL FOR ALL TO SEE

YOSHIKAGE KIRA | SHADOW VEIL | EX VOLARY FLIGHTS LEADER | STORAGE | PLAYED BY MEGHAN

• ✦ ✧ ✦ the mute apprentice, too, was drawn by a peculiar scent, however, she was unable to put smell to place. her gaze wavering, the tiny feline would shift closer, bandaging cling to her head as she observed.

"please dont hurt me."

SOMETIMES I LOSE MY WAY ———— ・゚✧ 」

tears at a funeral i might break information

• Arvicaena Reaver

I REALIZED I FINALLY HAD A FAMILY

The girl was drawn over and took a seat near the rest. Simply watching with bright eyes. What news and event? she wanted to be involved in both. She just didn't know what to expect, yet.

Speech

I WAS GONNA BE THAT ONE IN A MILLION

wolf \ single \ adopted by mercy \ self doubter

• june honestly hadn't even noted the fact that sugarpaw and kira seemed similar in appearance. he didn't really think it mattered, and had mostly passed it off as a simple coincidence like the other man beside him had without giving it another thought. there was that, and june wasn't always the hyper - observant type of cat ( that wasn't to say that he never paid attention to other people - he most certainly did, he just usually didn't care ).

junepaw quirks a brow slightly as the volarian speaks, and during that span of time, two other veilers had arrived to observe the interaction. noticing winterpaw from the corner of his eyes, the older aeternum boy subconsciously lays his tail upon the younger apprentice's shoulder in some sort of passively affectionate gesture. he turns his head up towards sugarpaw when she starts addressing him and kira, his brows quirking high at the word 'mister.' the hell? did he look as old as kira? sure, he frowned a lot, but he didn't think it accelerated his age by a lot ( if at all ).

"yeah, the news would be, uh ...preferable i guess." the darkseeker would respond at length, the corners of his lips turning downwards into the slightest of frowns. he still wasn't the biggest fan of being called a mister, however.

• "Kira, huh? You share the same name as my uncle, that's pretty cool. Nice to meet you." Sugarpaw observed, fictive brows raising slightly at the introduction. Mama says he passed away, though. She thought, dismissing the similarity with a flick of her tufted ears. A light hum issued from the maw of the qualea as the siamese dodged her question; no use for him, then, especially with the way he'd said he would prefer to hear the news over the invitation she also brought along. Another pair of young faces arrived and the Volarian nodded warmly to them both.

"We've had a few new faces and a few notable promotions, really. Enjolras has chosen Sleepingsunrise as his Vice-Emperor - which has to do with the invitation I'll extend soon - and we've got a couple of visitors healing ... nothing major when it comes to other Clans. How about you guys?" She finished warmly.

• june hadn't thought he needed to introduce himself, since kira had mentioned him already - but ah, well, whatever, misunderstandings happened, and junepaw didn't exactly feel the need to justify anything currently. it seemed like the flights had been relatively peaceful recently, and was even planning to do something with enjolras' new vice - emperor, whatever that was. he guessed that was good, though jun was admittedly never the biggest fan of parties despite having planned a couple before.

he was a bit jealous though, while the flights seemingly didn't have any worries plaguing them, the shadow veil was dealing with their members being captured and tortured and murdered left and right. "must be real peachy over there, huh?" he thinks, but he keeps this particularly bitter thought to himself, of course.

"well, we don't have it as good as you guys in the flights," the boy says, "nothing but violence on this end. the painted brigade has been messing with us, taking our members, harming them, and making them crawl all the way back home - and one of our alliances is under scrutiny after one of ours were killed, and another injured conveniently after the other."

he breathes out sharply, a thin wisp of smoke twisting out from his jaw. "ugh," he thinks as he rolls his shoulders back, realizing a moment too late that he seemed to have lost a bit of composure. "what an embarrassment." his tail flicks slightly. "anyways ...what's this about your new vice - emperor?"

• Sugarpaw listened closely, features pinching slightly with concern as Junepaw detailed the Veil's misfortune as of late. The Flights themselves were neutral to the Brigade, if her limited knowledge of their Clan relations served correctly, so if they attended they'd have nothing to worry about since the event was allies-only. And an alliance under scrutiny too ... she couldn't stand to think of how that must feel to the Veil's Empress (she didn't know the title of the Veil's leaders well enough to substitute it in place of the title she knew) and their Clanmates.

Hmm.

Her attention slipped back to Junepaw as he composed himself, some of the tension leaving her shoulders as he changed the subject back to the Flights. She should have known that there was the chance for bad news, but if she were honest Sugarpaw hadn't quite realised how uncomfortable the topic made her feel. Maybe she would have to withdraw her interest of being an ambassador to a Clan full-time (though Dovepaw's eager interest in the role of Macaw of Unity made her quietly uncomfortable in the wake of being here). Ah, but that aside, she let out a slow breath as she gathered her thoughts.

"We're hosting a party for her." She announced, a soft pride clearing the earlier concern from her features like the sun braking through clouds after a storm. "Thought we'd try something different for this promotion to see if it sticks, and if it does then we'll hold a party when a new Vice-Emperor is chosen. It's in two days; dressing up is encouraged, and gifts are appreciated but not mandatory."

// rise above | party