RIVER OF DECEIT * joining

• A malfunction of his powers was not on Kira's list of things he was expecting today.

He had built a comfortable life, living as Kosaku Kawajiri- while he'd stayed away from the bustle of clan life (something he admittedly missed, for all of its flaws), he'd found a small community of people going largely undetected by the groups he'd called home not long ago. The Thunderlands had proven too much of a pain to continue living in after his rejoining there under his new identity. These people were far more accepting, but also far more apathetic- something he personally preferred. After all, prying into his private life was never a very good idea. Kira enjoyed his privacy very much.

But of course, good things never last.

When he woke this morning to the feeling of choking and the taste of dirt, he frankly didn't know what to do. Something about his body felt very off, but oddly comfortable- but he couldn't think about it much, considering he was thrashing beneath the earth in any attempt to surface and breathe again. Fortunately, his grave seemed shallow. Had he been not suffocating underground, he didn't think he would like that very much, though. A paw breached the surface, and soon he was out again, panting and hacking up dirt. His mouth tasted terrible. He hoped he didn't have morning breath. The man held his paw to his chest, taking calmer and calmer breaths until he was finally back to usual again. He still didn't realize why he had been trapped under a mountain of dirt; in fact, he thought someone had been playing a rather nasty trick on him, but after a moment of gathering his surroundings he realized with a drop of his stomach that that was not the case. In fact, he recognized this place- he knew it well. He had buried Olivia's ashes here. He was in the Volary Flights' graveyard.

Kira blinked, then looked down at himself. The first thing he noticed was the golden fur, hidden under the grime of the earth; it was fur he hadn't seen in nearly four months, and he found it rather odd that he should be seeing it again. This observation allowed for the unsurprising (but surprising to him) realization that he was no longer Kosaku Kawajiri. He noticed something else too: his lack of depth perception. Tentatively, he reached a paw to his face, as if touching the scar there would end the world. The skin, warped by fire, felt leathery. O Lady Luck, how funny you are. Tears sprung to his remaining lavender eye, and Kira let out a pitiful chuckle. "Luck is on the side of Yoshikage Kira..." he trailed off, voice breaking. Oh, how funny today was! A power malfunction that somehow forced him back into his birth body... how wonderful!

He had left the jungle as quickly as he could. Having lead the Flights, he wanted to stay away from it; he didn't want to be recognized so quickly, but he doubted he could escape it for long, anyway. Paws carried him aimlessly away from his home (was it his home?) and towards anywhere else. Soon, he was on the Veil's border, pausing at the scent line and wrinkling his nose. Well... here would work. It wasn't somewhere he'd lived before, and it wasn't somewhere he'd visited frequently- hopefully nobody he knew would show up.

Oh God what about Mercy and Ver? Don't they live here? His panicked thoughts raced, but Kira decided quickly he'd cross that bridge when he got to it.

i could either drown, or pull off my skin and swim to shore

NOW I CAN GROW A BEAUTIFUL SHELL FOR ALL TO SEE

YOSHIKAGE KIRA | SHADOW VEIL | EX VOLARY FLIGHTS LEADER | STORAGE | PLAYED BY MEGHAN

• ★ ★ ★ and cross that bridge he would.

unfortunately for kira, enjolras had taken up residence in the veil. he'd originally moved to the blackheart rouges, seeking a new home where he could exist away from the memories the jungle held. the rouges had merged into the veil, and he'd remained (albeit sparingly). for all the shit that had happened to him, it was a surprise that he hadn't yet stepped down and became a loner, if only to relieve himself of the stress he was constantly under.

if someone had told him that that he would be seeing the former leader once more, he would've laughed in their face.

the veil was a haven to him, a place of peace he could spend time in. seeing the leader would undoubtedly bring up harsh memories; things enjolras would rather forget. things that still plagued him when he closed his eyes. their relationship was tense, mostly due to his foolish mistakes, but nonetheless, the ragdoll still missed having the grumpy man around.

too much had happened since kira had passed away, and even now, he felt the sorrow grab at his heart with dangerous thorns. he shook his head, trying to physically push away the thoughts and keep himself from spiraling alone out at the borders of the forest. that's when he saw him. someone he didn't think he'd ever see again. "non," was all he hissed out. confusion turned to anger, and he stalked towards the figure, near-deaf ears pinned back against his skull. "who the hell are you?" he snarled.

it can't be you. you left me so long ago.

his fur bristled, and enjolras forced himself to at least take a somewhat more docile stance. he had no intentions of attacking. not yet. not until he figured this out.

i never got to apologize for my mistakes.

𝑴𝒀 𝑫𝑬𝑨𝑹, 𝒀𝑶𝑼'𝑹𝑬 𝑵𝑶𝑻 𝑺𝑶 𝑰𝑵𝑵𝑶𝑪𝑬𝑵𝑻

enjolras harbringer . vf + sv - emperor + duskguard . biography

• He knew what it was like to have havens. He'd built them all his life; first, when he'd lived in the Thunderlands, the Flights had become his safe place. He'd done... a whole mess of things there, drawn by Lovescars, staying for the memories he'd made tied to that place. It was silly; he had never been the sentimental type, but he had become it there. It was just a shame that the Kapok had burnt down in that fire; that was the place where he and Bramb had stayed during that storm. But then, too much happened at once. Exilers and fire and enemies mingling with his own; it had been all too much pressure, and so he'd built a new haven for himself- but not without its consequences.

Speaking of consequences, here came one now. Not that Kira knew. Enjolras looked much different from when the tabby had seen him last.

His ears perked and he looked towards the stranger, grateful that it was someone he didn't know. But soon he was confused; he was outside the border not causing any trouble, so why did the ragdoll seem so angry? Kira had his bad days too, of course (today was shaping up to be one of them), but he tried to mind his manners when he could. The grating who the hell are you echoed in his mind long after it had finished. His brows furrowed and he flicked his ears backwards slightly. Here he was, fresh out of the ground, and already getting yelled at? How rude.

"I..." he paused as the other seemed to shift. There was something familiar in the tension between them, but he couldn't put a finger on it. A paw reached to the thick scar on his neck absently. Then, in as calm a voice as he could muster, "My name is Yoshikage Kira. And you are?"

Patiently, he waited for a response. The tension was undeniable. He didn't like how quickly it had returned to him.

YOSHIKAGE KIRA | SHADOW VEIL | EX VOLARY FLIGHTS LEADER | STORAGE | PLAYED BY MEGHAN

• Please teach me how to create

the god of today's world —

"Is there an issue?" While Adara was faintly aware of the fact that Enjolras wasn't the kindest soul, but she couldn't quite recall a time where he had acted with unwarranted hostility. The cloaked midnightbringer would watch with a carefully-neutral expression in her gray eyes, her tone flat, showing no favor to either side. No welcomes and no threats were uttered from her mouth for the moment, preferring to watch how the situation formed before she had done so, even if the shadows nearby writhed, waiting for that command to strike.

Riptide's death had warranted a similar reaction from the Veil, though. She could recall her own blade as it pressed against newly-formed skin, the former child soldier's tone cold as she had addressed who she had falsely assumed to be a trespasser.

If I stay with you

would I finally be able to change?

tags. | played by Mirror's Edge

• ★ ★ ★ yoshikage kira.

the name struck something deep within him, and he felt anger and defeated all at the same time. how could he do this? fake his own death (presumably, but the universe was a slippery bitch, so perhaps that's not how it happened) and have the nerve to skip past the flights altogether? a snarl sounded from the back of his throat, and he nearly snapped back a response when adara approached. his head swiveled fast, watching her lips and catching the tail-end of her question. "yea there is," he bit out, tail lashing.

enjolras' glare returned to kira, and there's a sea of emotion in his icy blue eyes. "this bastard is supposed to be dead. left all of us, left me, without a warning." the curse is spat out with such force it seems like a physical attack, though there's a thinly veiled waver in his voice. he barely spares a glance at adara as he pauses, taking shaky breathes to try and remain composed. "newsflash, i died too."

• Is there an issue? He felt like he was in the customer service department of an outlet store. Kira's attention snapped to the new voice, and on the other end was a woman he felt he vaguely recognized- but, of course, he could be imagining things. No name came to mind, after all. Her neutrality to the situation both disinterested and encouraged him. Maybe this man is just crazy- after all, I've never seen him before.

He lifted his chin, black lips pressing into a thin line as he gazed carefully at the stranger. His lip quirked as Enjolras continued. Bastard- what a thing to call a stranger... but his thoughts pause as the ragdoll goes on. Yes, he was supposed to be dead- most people that knew the Flights knew that, he assumed. After all, he recalled getting a visit while living as Kosaku to inform him that he'd died. It had been very surreal. Perhaps this man, whoever he was, just heard about his own death like that. But it was odd how... personally he was taking it.

Left all of us, left me, without a warning.

A prickle of uncertainty made itself known in his chest.

"I don't know who you are," he growled. His voice was thick and oily and low as it left him. The fur on his spine began to spike slowly upwards. He parted his jaws to say more, but was interrupted by the other's thinly-supported voice. Newsflash, I died too. This statement bred more confusion than anything. Kira's train of thought derailed and found a new track. What? What did it matter? He still didn't recognize a hair on the ragdoll's head. His tail flicked with looming frustration, but anxiety, too. Left us without a warning? Who? Who is this?

Single lavender orb stared frigidly at Enjolras, a look not unlike the one he gave the day he found out about Shocktherapy.

"I don't know what exactly you're accusing me of, but I'd quite appreciate if you quit." His polite words do not match the grave tone they are spoken with.

• ★ ★ ★ 'are you really that thick?' rested on the tip of his tongue, but he bit it back with another huff. he's not going to fight kira, as much as he muscles coil more and more with each passing moment. he knew this new body wasn't helping the situation, but he would've thought his constant accent and quite personal jabs would be enough for the former leader to connect the dots. something about not being able to get water out a boot came to mind, and he forced it away.

there was only one way to remedy this misunderstanding, and he wasn't particularly keen to see the outcome.

"d'accord. it's a right pleasure to meet you, yoshikage kira. the name's enjolras harbringer."

now stop fucking around.

it was probably a good thing he was nearly deaf at this point since he could feel the blood pounding in his ears, and it was drowning out what little sound he could usually take in at any given time. enjolras forced himself to keep still though everything screamed at him to turn away. who knew how kira would react; he'd been volatile enough in the time leading up to his death.

• The name's Enjolras Harbringer.

Oh. Well, at least things made more sense now.

Still, this did very, very little to ease his mind. Kira's ears pinned backwards, and his mouth hung open for a moment, unsure of how to answer. For a man who covered his murders so effortlessly, he couldn't form an excuse on his lips. He wasn't even sure how he felt seeing Enjolras at all- the serval (or... ragdoll, now) hadn't been on good terms with him before his death, but what about after? Usually people didn't have to think about these things. But, then again, usually people didn't fake their own deaths, either.

His ears perk back up to their usual position on his head. On the surface, he seems to relax, but is not without a scowl.

"I see," he murmured, trying to still buy time as he thought of an alibi. But then, maybe he didn't need one. After all, if Enjolras had really believed he'd died, maybe he could just... go with it. "Do forgive me for getting killed.I'm sure you can understand the difficulties of it all, considering..." he trails off, lavender gaze flicking up and down the ragdoll's figure, a gesture reminiscent of bitchy schoolgirls. He doesn't feel a need to say much more than that, and certainly doesn't want to push his lying skills more than he has to, so he falls silent for a moment longer. He seems... less angry than he used to be, or at least less violently angry, but who knew how long that would last? His brows remain furrowed.

He turns his attention slowly to Adara once again.

"I'd like to join the Veil," he tells her quietly, though he's certainly had second thoughts since Enjolras's arrival. But he certainly can't return to the Flights. Too many... bad memories there, more bad than good, at least. He also certainly didn't want to walk much farther, at least for today. "Hopefully it won't be too much trouble...?" His tone makes it sound like there is only one right answer to that question.

• Was it just him, or could you cut the air with a butter knife right now? Like man, was there some tension between these two or what? Theo was tempted to spin around and go back to camp before someone caught him eavesdropping on the conversation, but upon attempting to sneak from his hiding spot, the crunching of leaves gave him away. Being a ninja wasn't his type of jazz anyway, so rather than acting embarrassed, he was rather nonchalant about the slip up. Stepping out from behind a nearby tree, the boy would glance between Enjolras and Kira before frowning. It was obvious that the two of them knew each other, but to what extent their relationship went was unclear. Judging on the sheer amount of negative emotion that was clouding the air, he would guess enemies or former friends. Now don't get him wrong- Theo wouldn't pry into their love life or whatever you would call it, since he held a certain degree of respect towards Enjolras, but he did want this conversation to get a move on. He had buddies to chat with, snakes to feed. So not waiting for Adara to answer the newcomer's question, he gave a response of his own. "As long as you don't make any trouble for yourself or the folks who live here." He said pointedly, his gaze flickering to a particular someone, "That being said, you're more than free to join the Veil. The name's Theo, though if you can find a way to shorten it even further, be my guess. Mind if I call you Yoshi? It's easier on the tongue an' the old memory." While he was normally anxious [or at least, cautious] when it came to interacting with people he didn't know, Theo was sporting a predominantly relaxed attitude. He seemed to perform better when faced with a dilemma, the problem in this case being a stand-off between two individuals he wished to make a good impression on.

YOU GOT A LOOK IN YOUR EYES, I KNEW YOU IN A PAST LIFE

SHADOW VEIL — SEVEN MONTHS — FOX HOUND — TAGS

• The air was thick with tension, it flowed like static electricity and all centered around one man someone she had buried months ago. He was dead, she felt for his pulse, that body was ripped apart and shouldn't have been capable of hosting a soul anymore yet he stood in front of them as if he never kissed the sweet mouth of death. She can't help but feel an uneasy ripple go up her spine, her opinions on the man weren't the best were stained with distrust and distaste for the way he handled innocents. Yet at one point he was her leader and she served as their medic; their only medic when she found out Olivia had perished before she could truly thank the woman for teaching her everything she knew. Why couldn't she come back instead? She thinks bitterly before abolishing the unbidden thought.

She comes up besides Enjolras giving a quick look to Adara it wasn't hostile but she dips her head as a way to say there was no need for her way of dealing with newcomers. Theo seemed to take the initiative allowing him in which was ultimately what Ver had planned to do, rather she agreed with everything he did was irrelevant from what she remembered Kira was a good leader before his untimely demise one who'd gotten them through a tough time and someone who could represent his clan well. He could be an asset, she wouldn't send him away for one or two hostile interactions they shared when she was his subordinate. ”You're fashionably late aren't you? I didn't expect to see you again Kira, it's been a while.” she woofs to him casually a small smile curling onto her toothy maw.

”Long as you don't keel over and die suddenly you're more than welcome to join like Theory said, welcome to the Veil. I lead here so if there's anything you need just come bother me” they changed in power dynamics, she doesn't know how she feels about that still in accordance to him as well as her other former superiors including her girlfriends. She'd always been a better follower, listening to directions and carrying out duties was the main stay of the mercenary lifestyle after all.

”speech”tags

I AM THE CONSCIOUS CLEAR

IN PAIN OR ECSTASY

Storage | ♕ | played by Kedamono | ♕ | ic opinions

• Please teach me how to create

the god of today's world —

There was no hostility in the girl's tone, no, but old habits died hard, and it showed with the blank expression that the midnightbringer gave at being asked for permission for something, eyes widened a fraction like a deer in headlights. A decision that fell on her. No matter how long it had been, it still was a bit of a shock to be given a decision.

Theo's words seemed to snap that glassy look out of her eyes, lucidness returning to her gaze after the brief moment of confusion, letting the younger fox hound speak, and lowering her head simply in greeting to Ver upon her arrival.

If I stay with you

would I finally be able to change?

tags. | played by Mirror's Edge

• Adara's eyes glaze over and he frowns slightly. Well, hopefully someone else would be coming along that could handle some decision-making.

The blonde's attention snaps to the crackling leaves, and soon he is staring at a foxhound, a frown on the other's face. Oh, wonderful- another Veiler to make a bad first impression on. He gives a sharp, quiet, hopeless sigh, turning his one-eyed gaze back to Enjolras for a brief moment. If you hadn't made a scene... but his train of thought is derailed as a voice pipes up, and he glances back to the foxhound.

As long as you don't make any trouble for the folks who live here. "Of course not," he responds, almost too quickly. Pain was never his intent; at least, not anymore. The indignation that had roused in his paws settles as he is allowed to join, and he gives a small bow of his head to greet the boy. At the nickname, his lip curls just slightly; no, Yoshi wouldn't do- only one person could call him that, and he had no idea where she'd gone. He wonders why he introduced himself with his full name. He hasn't done that in a while. "Kira is fine, thank you."

Ver arrives and he manages to lighten up slightly. The tension diffuses further, and while he is aware that Enjolras is still there, it becomes easier to forget the ragdoll for a few moments while he greets the woman. Though there had been some... sore spots with her, Kira found her to be a valued member of his (former) clan, and seeing her again brought sprouts of relief into his bloodstream.

"Better late than never," he jokes hollowly in response. Hearing that she lead came as something of a surprise, though he didn't know why; she had been leading Solaris when she'd worked under him as a healer in the Flights. Perhaps it was just the change in location that caught him off guard. As long as you don't keel over and die suddenly, you're more than welcome to join. "I'll... try not to do it again, yes." His pale gaze casts sidelong at Enjolras before returning to the horned canine, and he tries for a wry grin. A breath of relief. Finally, some normalcy.