good mourning // nightblaze

Check out some guideline updates for Traditional!
  • ・゚ ✦ ° why do love and hate sound just the same to me - So much had happened. So much that Oakridge was still working on processing it all. He hadn't thought that the bear would be a scourge as long as it had been, considering that upon his return home a few moons ago, the bear had been terrorizing DarkClan and ShadowClan. Now, just gone the turn of leaf fall, the bear was only just dealt with, and on the heels of that tragedy followed Tigerflame and Hawkmasks' involvement, then Tigerflame's betrayal and exile, and now they had to brace for leafbare with the knowledge that Tigerflame had murdered an innocent ThunderClanner in an attempt to stir up trouble right before the lands went barren. It was quite frankly, ridiculous.

In all honesty - an honesty he would only share with a select two cats in his life - Oakridge had never truly trusted Tigerflame. The blue rosette tom liked to believe in the inherent kindness in everyone, liked to give everyone the benefit of the doubt and however many chances they needed to prove themselves. But there had always been this aura around Tigerflame that just screamed at Oakridge that this tom was beyond whatever chances could be given. And he felt bad for Eaglestar most of all, because their leader had put so much more than faith in Tigerflame's character, and now she was left to face this situation on her own with kits that Tigerflame had helped bear.

It was a disgusting tragedy and Oakridge needed time to process it all. Away from prying eyes so his Clanmates couldn't see him crumble and struggle. He always presented himself in a calm, patient demeanor, and it wasn't a lie by any chance, but it was a fur he could not always wear. Sometimes even Oakridge needed to just take a few minutes and fall apart. Sticking his head into the warriors' den, hoping to find Nightblaze, Oakridge would call out her name softly, aware that the sun was setting and a good batch of warriors were already bedding down for the night. "Nightblaze? Are you in here?"

.:NightBlaze:.

speaking thoughts

darkclan ✦ senior warrior ✦ 19 moons ✦ tom ✦ dayspring x ridgelily

penned by hanakosong - TAGS

• Lets' Go Home

A sleek jet black head would rise from a nest far towards the back of the den. Molten gold eyes glowing in the low light as the shadow of Darkclan heeded her mates call. "I'm here." Her lithe figure would rise from the nest and carefully make her way towards her mate, greeting him with a rub of her head against his own and a low, barely audible purr of affection before she faced him, "Is everything alright?" Her cool and soothing voice would hopefully help relax the tension in his shoulders she had noticed since the bear situation. She loved this tom so much, even if she wasn't extremely public about it. Her silent devotion to her mate was only comparable to her loyalty to her clan, and after seeing Eaglestars' suffering with Tigerflame, she prayed she never had to make a choice like that. Because for the first time in her life, she didn't know who she would choose.

They all need something to Hold on to —

Female + Warrior + 17 moons + Bio

• ・゚ ✦ ° why do love and hate sound just the same to me - Breathing in Nightblaze's presence as she pressed her cheek against him, Oakridge felt the bundled tension in his muscles loosen ever so slightly. Her voice was so soothing, her figure so sturdy that the blue tom couldn't help but lean into her reassurances and feel less burdened already. "I'm sorry to wake you, love," Oakridge murmured as he backed out of the den to let Nightblaze out so they could converse without disturbing the whole den of warriors. "I just wondered if you would take a walk with me? It's alright if you need to sleep, though." Oakridge really just needed to talk to her, to let her know the things on his mind, but it didn't have to happen immediately. Things could wait until after a good night's rest. He and Nightblaze had been working so hard lately to keep things level within the Clan as it roiled from Tigerflame and Hawkmask's betrayal. Which was why the blue rosette wanted to keep his own distress under wraps. If DarkClan knew how close he was to breaking, it would not go over well.

speaking thoughts

• Lets' Go Home

"Not at all. Lets' go." Nightblaze would turn and start to lead him out of the camp, as if she had been the one to invite him out for walk. The panther would slip out of the cave entrance and nod a silent greeting to the NPCs' on guard as she waited for Oakridge to catch up and take lead in which direction they would head in for their walk. As he walked, she would watch him with a very subtle light of worry in her eyes. Once they got far enough away from camp, she would speak softly and in a tone so gentle that it would surprising to any cat other then Oakridge and Briarheart, "Are you going to tell me what's troubling you? Or do you simply want to walk?" They were the only ones who ever heard this voice, who ever got to see behind the steel wall she had put up around herself in order to be the perfect soldier for Darkclan. Something her own mentor had taught her.

• ・゚ ✦ ° why do love and hate sound just the same to me - Gratefulness thrummed through Oakridge as he followed Nightblaze out of camp. She didn't ask questions, didn't push, and waited until they were further from camp before she asked if he wanted to talk or just stroll around. The blue tom hesitated, only because he felt bad about complaining, not because he didn't trust his mate. Eventually, Oakridge sat down heavily on the trail and tipped his head back to look up at the stars through the nearby trees. "I just...I need to not be strong for a little while. And I trust you - with my vulnerabilities, that is." Looking back down at her, golden eyes glowing in the dim, dark light of early evening. "Are you okay if I unload my misgivings on you?"

speaking thoughts

• Lets' Go Home

Nightblaze would halt in her walking when her mate did, and she would listen attentively as he meowed softly. Her expression would soften in a way that only Oakridge and Briarheart ever saw and she would walk back over to him. Her nose would press against his shoulder in support as she also took a seat beside him and spoke, "I'm honored you trust me so much. Of course you may vent to me, my love. I'll always be here for you." She would give him her familiar ghost of a smile and brush her tail against his own.

• ・゚ ✦ ° why do love and hate sound just the same to me - Trying to use his mate's calm presence to find his center, Oakridge eventually leaned out of her space so he could pace restlessly in front of her, feeling overwhelmed with everything itching beneath his skin. "I just...I'm trying to be the best warrior for DarkClan that I can be. I support Eaglestar, and I trust her judgement and her choices, but on this...this recent matter, I don't. And it's worrying me because I want to speak up, but the last thing I want to do is sow discontent or distrust. Personally, I'm glad Tigerflame is gone. I never fully trusted him, and I think Eaglestar deserves better of a mate and a Clanmate. And Hawkmask...I know he was your mentor, and I know he was the deputy and likely still will be, but I don't agree with Eaglestar's decision to give him a chance to reclaim his title after demoting him. Maybe it's just me, but I don't want a cat who committed those crimes to stand as next in line to lead DarkClan and offer counsel to our current leader. But I don't know what to say or how to even say it." Pausing for a breath, Oakridge turned distressed golden eyes Nightblaze's way, looking for once in his life completely unraveled and at a loss for what to do.

"I'm worried...about what this means for the future of DarkClan. For our future."

speaking thoughts

• Lets' Go Home

The obsidian she-cat would sit patiently and watch her mate pace before her. Her ears were alert as he spoke his frustrations and she nodded along slightly. It hurt to speak of her former mentor in this manner, but she couldn't help but agree with her mate. Darkclan needed better. Deserved better. She would blink her golden gaze at him as she meowed gently once she was sure he wasn't going to say anymore, "You are correct, Darkclan needs to look at the bigger picture for our future." Her tail would swish as she thought for a moment before she meowed softly, "Perhaps, you and I can go and speak to Eaglestar about this? She trusts us as much as we trust her, and she knows us better then to assume we are doing this just to spite, Hawkmask."

• ・゚ ✦ ° why do love and hate sound just the same to me - Nodding, Oakridge nervously kneaded his claws through the tough dirt and rock beneath his claws, golden eyes glancing around frantically like he was worried someone might be nearby. He didn't want anyone to overhear and misunderstand. "I just...I don't want to upset her or put more pressure on her than there already is. But I fear that if we wait too long, it will be too late. I don't know what to do." Oakridge had never before felt this lost in his life. Not when his parents passed away, not when his siblings started to leave him and Sweetpea behind, not even when he had been captured or returned only to find out Driftingstar was dead. Nothing so far made him feel so hopeless and turned around than being terrified for the future of his Clan.

speaking thoughts

• Lets' Go Home

Nightblaze would blink softly and meow evenly, "Oakridge. If it's for the good of Darkclan it must be done. Eaglestar is our leader before she is our friend...she understands the weight that puts on her shoulders, especially after she banished Tigerflame." Her tail would twitch softly as she tilted her head, "What do you think would put her more at ease? Warriors who are loyal and honest to her, or warriors who fret in the shadows and refuse to speak to her about important matters because we don't want to upset her?" Her gaze would soften softly as she rose to her paws once more and rub against her mate in comfort, "I will be beside you no matter what you choose, but I elect we speak to her about our worries." She would lick his cheek before stretching and smiling softly at him, "Come, lets walk a little farther."

• ・゚ ✦ ° why do love and hate sound just the same to me - The tension wound into Oakridge's muscles seemed to slacken when Nightblaze pressed into his side, her scent wreathing around him and soothing his nerves. The blue rosette tom knew that she was right, but all his life Oakridge had cultivated a calm countenance and endless patience in an attempt to please everyone, to be the calm in the storm for others to anchor too. He liked holding others up, he liked helping others find a peaceful resolution and keeping his Clanmates safe with as little blood spilled as possible. In his lifetime, he had seen one short skirmish and he hoped to keep his experiences with battle as uneventful as possible.

Pressing firmly into Nightblaze's gestures of affection, Oakridge purred quietly and rasped his tongue over her ears a few times, a gesture of gratitude. "Okay, I could use a nice walk."

speaking thoughts

• Lets' Go Home

The normally stoic female would give him a rare smile as he licked her ears and then she would nudge him gently before turning and bounding towards the north. Perhaps some time away from camp was better for her mate right now. So that's what she would provide for him. She would look back to make sure he was following her before suddenly turning and falling into...was that a play crouch? What could she say? Oakridge made her feel comfortable enough to show her more playful side. Her rare smiles and small bursts of energy that only the blue rosetted tom before her knew how to drew from deep within her. She couldn't quite place her paw on it, but she liked it. Her mate was special, that was something she knew for a fact. His mannerisms and calm demeanor was something that set him apart from the other Darkclanners, and she found herself finding a new drive to give him the happy life she believed he deserved.

• ・゚ ✦ ° why do love and hate sound just the same to me - Something warm and fond sprouted to life in Oakridge's chest as he watched his mate become playful, more relaxed. Her expression around others - around most of DarkClan - was stoic and serious. He loved that side of her, her drive and her passion to be the best she could be for DarkClan. But he also adored his private side, this playful, loving, easy-going she-cat that Oakridge only ever saw when they were entirely alone. Purring loudly, Oakridge shook off his worries and bounded after Nightblaze, his golden eyes bright. Pawing at her happily, Oakridge reared back - claws sheathed - and made a playful noise in the back of his throat as he attempted to gently pin her down so they could tussle.

speaking thoughts

• Lets' Go Home

A rare purr would rise from the she-cats throat as she was pinned and she would lightly bat at his muzzle and ears as she wiggled playfully beneath him. How long had it been since she was this care free? When was the last time she had let down her guard and played? Nightblaze would stop moving for just a moment to stare up at Oakridge, the love in her gaze almost overwhelming as she looked into his eyes and gently licked his cheek. She would then use her back paws to carefully nudge him off before jumping to her paws and turning to pounce on him in return. A strange sound would emit from her then, as crisp and wonderful as a warm new leaf breeze. A laugh.

• ・゚ ✦ ° why do love and hate sound just the same to me - If he was being honest with himself, Oakridge wasn't sure he had ever heard Nightblaze laugh - but it was truly one of the most beautiful sounds he had ever heard. The blue tom stopped abruptly when the sound pushed easily from his mate's maw, golden eyes locked on her figure even as she pounced and bowled him over. Pinned underneath her, the blue rosette stared up at Nightblaze with awe, adoration, excitement. She was gorgeous, powerful, and she had laughed just for him. Breaking spontaneously into loud, content purring, Oakridge leaned up, pushing his nose into the fur of her shoulder and nuzzling Nightblaze happily. She really only had to do the bare minimum to make Oakridge fall even more in love with her. It felt a little like magic.

speaking thoughts