golden gulag -- theo

• [ tags ] -- Hyperion had been spending an inordinate amount of time lately doing things for people. Between decorating camp, attending parties and seminars, and greeting visitors at the border, he'd been working so hard that he'd barely had time to meditate or read or even watch the stars. He'd gotten in the habit of simply conking out at the end of the day, exhausted from the many small tasks his paws had been set throughout the day. But this afternoon, he'd promised himself that he'd get out of camp for a little while, to walk around and relax a bit. If he didn't do it now, he'd crack later. The tiger knew this, and yet still couldn't help himself from extending an invitation to join him to the rest of the Clan before leaving.

"If anyone would like to accompany me on a walk, I'm leaving now," he hummed, looking around those nearest to him to see if anyone would take him up on his offer. Part of him hoped no one would come so he could get lost in his own thoughts, perhaps do some soul- or memory-searching of his own. But another part of him desperately hoped that he wouldn't be left alone, afraid of what he might find if allowed to wander uninhibited through the dark fields of his missing memories. He paused for a moment, torn, waiting for someone else to speak.

// STRINGTHEORY. sorry, super lame starter, but man am i pooped!!

pick a star on the dark horizon and follow the light.

Hyperion-left Hyperion-center Hyperion-right

HYPERION

Shadow Veil Midnightbringer-- ♂ -- Reaver-Harbringer-Stimul-Stamus

[ tags ] -- [ penned by dalarna ]

• Ugh, being a productive member of society was hard. Not only did it involve doing all sorts of energy draining tasks such as hosting sparring sessions and raking leaves, but people also expected you to be available at the weirdest times. Like this morning, for instance, when sometime interrupted him during his breakfast in order to ask for a favor. What was that favor, you ask? Whether or not Theo was able to babysit later in the day. If he wasn't such a kind, understanding person [yeah right], the canine would've slammed his door in their face. Actually, he did attempt to do this very thing, only to be thwarted mid-effort with a well aimed paw. After enduring a long lecture from some random adult that had been standing nearby, the meal interrupter had to see a medic, and he in turn had to man the nursery all afternoon. This wasn't a fair trade-off, as those tykes were out for blood. Sure, they had cute, round faces and adorably squeaky voices, but that didn't stop them from biting his ankles to pieces. He could still feel phantom teeth and claws digging into his skin as he moseyed around camp in search for something... less painful to involve himself in.

Theo was about ready to throw in the towel and take a snooze when Hype spoke up, the familiar voice causing his head to turn. While he wasn't in peak physical condition at the moment, a walk did sound pleasant to his bored soul. That and he quite enjoyed the tiger's presence, finding him to be a breath of fresh air when compared to some of the sourpusses [Addy being an example] that lived here. It was about time that he engaged the older male in a long and hopefully interesting conversation. Though he wasn't sure what this so-called heart to heart talk would entail, seeing as how they had very few things in common. At least, to his knowledge. That being said, he was eager to remedy this lack of information, and speed-walked towards Hyperion, a dumb grin on his face. "Yo yo- let's go, big man." He woofed, wagging his tail somewhat impatiently. Almost like a son waiting for their father to take them on a roller-coaster ride. The dog stood there for a good amount of time with that same excitable look in his gaze before realizing something, his mouth forming a small gap. "Oh, wait a minute! I forgot something!" The exclamation was followed by the sound of skittering as he ran back to his room, rummaging though his stuff in order to locate his bright blue bandanna. Once it was located, Theo re-appeared at Hyperion's side, the article of clothing somehow tied around his neck. It never hurt to accessorize, especially on a chilly weekday such as this one. "Alright, now we can leave!" Not particularly wanting a third or forth member for their expedition team, he made sure to hurry into the woods, occasionally looking over his shoulder to make sure that Hype was still at his side.

YOU GOT A LOOK IN YOUR EYES, I KNEW YOU IN A PAST LIFE

SHADOW VEIL — SEVEN MONTHS — FOX HOUND — TAGS

• [ tags ] -- Ah, to no surprise Theo is the first to take him up on his offer. Hyperion finds the youngster to be... eccentric, to say the least, but in a way that is surprisingly endearing. He watches with slightly raised eyebrows as the young hound walks away with great purpose, only to return with a bandanna somehow wreathing his neck. How had he done that so quickly? Ah, he supposed it didn't matter all that much, and after all Theo was already halfway out of sight by the time Hyperion had decided to say anything about it.

Picking up his own pace to catch up with the younger and faster hound, Hyperion found himself turning to examine the youngster's earnest face. He felt a sort of pull towards Theo, and had since first meeting him. Like he needed the younger man's friendship, and like maybe Theo needed his, too. But Hyperion had feelings like that all the time, and without his memories to keep him on track he often risked getting lost in those feelings. So for now, he decided, he would just try to get to know the hound a little better.

"So, Theo," he began once he had caught up with the boy, "what were you up to today? You look particularly wiped out." The smell of children had lingered in the air when Theo had blown past him earlier, so Hyp had his suspicions, but wanted to confirm. Maybe Theo would tell him some of the entertaining things children often did when left with a single adult!

HYPERION

• Theo felt like playing hopscotch in the clouds, with how great he felt walking alongside Hyperion. Minus his injured ankles, of course. The weather was sunny, there was not a cloud to be seen in the sky- everything was just fantastic. Flicking both ears to pick up his partner's sentence without breaking stride, the child would shudder in mock fear as he remembered the events from earlier that day. While he wouldn't say that they were traumatizing, the whole baby-sitting business had shaken him up considerably. He had no intention on going through all of that again, request or no request. After thinking over the question for a good minute or two, he slowed down enough so that the tiger could get a better look at his expression as he spoke. "Ah, it was nothing too bad." He lied, attempting to look sincere for as long as possible before visibly deflating. "Alright- the truth is that I feel like curling up into a ball and sleeping until next week." The admission was paired with a soft groan, as he dramatically stumbled into Hyperion's side, briefly clutching at a strand of silver fur. Loosely, not enough to cause the other male any pain. He shouldn't be expected to sound positive all the time, even if Theo was admittedly exaggerating his anguish. "Someone convinced a shmuck- aka me to watch over the nursery kiddos for them, and let me tell you, they were little tyrants!" He hissed, wincing as a frond brushed up against one of his forelegs. "Gimme this, gimme that, they never quit asking for stuff! And on top of that, they turned one of my best bandannas into a shredded pile of fabric. Hence why I'm wearing this piece instead of an old favorite." Despite his complaining, he seemed to be quite fond of these ankle-biters, and remnants of a smirk peaked through his muzzle.

"But enough about me- let's talk about you, Rapunzel." Smooth as frozen butter, he deflected the attention onto Hyperion, nudging the big cat with his now limp tail. "Tell me more about yourself. For instance, what's it like being a Darkseeker? Do people treat you any different because you have a higher rank than them? How 'bout your childhood friends and family?" After saying this last bit he faltered, regretting the statement right away. Licking his lips with a newfound anxiousness, he glanced over at Hyperion, trying to read his reaction. "That's uh, assuming that you're from here, of course. You act like you are." Being an outsider himself, he should've held back from asking this question. At least, until he had a firm grip on what the tiger's past was like and how sensitive he was to intrusive inquiries.

• [ tags ] -- A small chuckle escaped him when he realized that Theo had in fact spent the day in the nursery watching over the Veil's littlest members. Ah, the nursery. He'd spent more than a few days himself, and while he enjoyed the atmosphere of chaos and energy, it certainly wasn't for everyone. It was hard not to love the little ones, whom Theo had termed "ankle-biters," and Hyperion saw the same amusement over their antics reflected in Theo's eyes when he spoke of them. "Spending time in the nursery is a good way to remember to appreciate your own maturity and freedom," he mused, a smile creating wrinkles around the outsides of his eyes. Children were so precious. "I'm sorry you had to sacrifice a bandana to their mischief, but this one is nice too." He gestured with his tail to the one Theo now wore around his neck. It was, the blue suited him nicely.

As soon as the questions turned back to Hyperion, he felt himself involuntarily stiffen a little. Invariably the subject of his family was bound to come up, and he felt a little awkward about admitting that he didn't know. But Theo was a nice kid, and Hyperion felt like he could talk to the youngster. Taking a deep breath, he forced his shoulders to relax. Wait- had Theo just called him Rapunzel? What an odd nickname. "Being a Darkseeker isn't much different from being a regular Veil member right now," he started, making sure to occasionally meet the foxhound's gaze with his own. It was hard to do while they strolled through the tall pines, but he tried anyway. "I mostly am responsible for dealing with joiners, visitors, and other small-scale camp things. But since Ver and Mercy aren't around all the time, I also help Riptide and Adara with other things. We're all kind of pitching in together to keep the Veil running." And it was true, he'd been doing a lot of stuff in the last month or two that Mercy had been indisposed. He didn't mind it, but their overall lack of supervision meant he had no idea if they were doing a good job or totally ruining everything.

"As for my family, I honestly don't know." This was the awkward part, the part he didn't really like to tell anybody. "A long time ago, I think I lived in a different body. But I died, and I spent a long time with my soul living in the place between worlds. And then this Light, it... it resurrected me, put me back into this body, and it gave me another chance. I think it was a chance to do better than I had before, but I don't really remember anything, not right now. So I think I have family, but I don't know who they are." He stopped there, hesitant to shoot Theo another glance. He was afraid that in being honest he would scare the younger boy away, make him think Hyperion was weird or evil or not to be trusted.

HYPERION

• "A good way to remember and appreciate your own maturity and freedom?" He repeated to himself, sounding less than convinced by the tiger's good-humored response. "Who are ya- Addie?" It sounded like something that would come from the solider's mouth, albeit Hyperion said this in a joking manner, as opposed to Adara, who was blunter than a baseball bat when it came to giving advice. Though maybe he wasn't giving his sword wielding friend enough credit. That didn't matter at the moment, however, as he was too busy basking in Hyperion's compliment to think about much else. The bandanna adorned around his neck was nothing special, really, and could be considered second-rate at most, but it was nice to see that someone liked it. Jumping back to the present, Theo couldn't help but notice how the man stiffened at his question. He was about to take it back and switch the subject when a response floated into the air, forcing him to remain silent. Well, that was boring. For some reason he had expected the duties of a Darkseeker to be more... extravagant than just dealing with newcomers and doing small chores here and there. But that's what he got for prying- an honest, if not lack-luster answer. He merely hummed a merry tune and trotted along, continuing to listen as Hyperion answered the second part of his inquiry.

As the big cat spoke, Theo became noticeably more subdued, walking slower and ceasing to whistle as Hyperion explained his past. What did it feel like to die? He knew that this was a stupid question, and that he was better off not asking it, but the foxhound couldn't help but wonder. Being struck by lightning- though he couldn't remember it, was the closest he had ever gotten to dying, if you didn't count his time as a child weapon. Haha, good memories, right? Anyway, it was hard to imagine what Hyperion had gone through during his time in limbo, assuming that such a place existed. Honestly, a part of him doubted the Darkseeker's claims, although this was something that he wouldn't readily admit. But the tiger sounded so genuine while speaking... he would give them the benefit of the doubt. Theo would stop with Hyperion, his face unreadable at first. Then after searching his companion's expression for any sign of humor or deceit and finding none, his expression softened with empathy. "While I can't say that I've died and come back to life in another body.." He started off, astonishingly serious when compared to his normal aloof disposition. "..I also can't remember that much about myself. Where I'm from, whether or not I have any family, the whole works."

Theo was a boy who liked to hide his true emotions, and preferred to keep them bottled up for as long as humanly possible. At least, where negative feelings such as anger and sadness were concerned. But in a somewhat rare moment of vulnerability, he opened up to Hyperion. He wasn't some cocky kid who had a goofy or witty comeback to every word thrown at him- no, that wasn't the case. Theo looked vulnerable, a sheep who needed a shepherd to guide them when the wolves came attacking. "I don't mean to sound like a downer or anything, but how can you keep going on like this, all merry and kind when you can't remember your past?" There was a hint of desperation to his voice, a need to know. "Doesn't it kill you inside, not being able to recall anything? You have'ta admit, it ain't all peaches and cream. But uh, maybe I'm just exaggerating things a bit, eh?"

[Ahh, sorry for the lateness!]

• [ tags ] -- Hyperion chuckled when Theo compared him to Adara. If his coworker ever heard those words come out of Theo's mouth he'd probably have to run and hide, for the two were on the surface virtually opposites in every way. But he felt a great deal of warmth toward the other midnightbringer, and was flattered by the comparison. "Don't let Adara hear you say that," he teased, flicking his ears as he thought about it.

After telling his story, he watched Theo's expression from the corner of his eye. Confusion, disbelief, anguish, all these things swam in Theo's eyes and in the aura around him. Ultimately, these settled into an openness that surprised the tiger. He had the ability to sense the strong emotions of others, depending on who they were, but Theo had always been a bit of an enigma between the memory loss and the devil-may-care attitude, the cheeky jokes and lust for life. Now he seemed... different. More honest, maybe. Was it what he'd said?

Ah, the question he had been wondering if Theo would ask. Doesn't it kill you inside, not being able to recall anything? Hyperion hesitated before answering, not exactly sure what to say. Of course it killed him, he felt uniquely and supremely alone in this world without the memories of most of his life to ground him in a history all his own, to tie him to other people in a way that went deeper than the bonds of friendship. A family's blood still ran through his veins, he knew this to be true, but it meant nothing without the knowledge of that family and who they might be. But until he found a way to reverse that loss, there was nothing he could do.

"I'm so sorry, Theo," he began, voice low and quiet. "What you're going through... I know it's hard." He remained quiet for a moment, trying to put together the pieces of what he wanted to say. "I often ask the same questions of myself, but ultimately I choose to live with empathy and joy and love because if I don't then what am I doing here?" Revealing these truths about himself was hard, but if it was going to help Theo he would cut himself open and bleed emotion a thousand times over. "The people I know now, the relationships I have, the good I can do in the world, all of these things matter. I hate not knowing my past, my history, but there's nothing I can do about it now. To dwell on it is to forget that there are folks who need me here and now, and I can have a real impact on their lives." He wanted to point out Selene, how he'd noticed her and Theo growing closer since her return from the Exiles, but decided that it was probably too soon.

"That being said, though, it's okay to be sad for your forgotten life. However you feel is valid. But we can't forget to live now either." The tiger grew quiet, nervous about how Theo would respond. He felt peculiarly strong ties to the young man, and didn't want to ruin their relationship by getting emotional. He hoped the youngster wouldn't be too put out by the weight of his words.

// u good boo <3

HYPERION