they wanna make me their queen {pafp}

Check out some guideline updates for Traditional!
  • Mia had no idea why, but she hadn’t expected the prince to actually be very good at fighting. Which was stupid because why wouldn’t they train the royals to fight? Especially the males. She watched as he was hit, unfortunately in the neck, but took out the archer swiftly. Mia was impressed, actually, at his skills with the bow and arrow. Briefly her gaze shifted, glancing around and looking for more of them, but she didn’t see any, yet. By the time she looked back, Val had come over and asked if she was hurt, and a small part of her was taken aback at his concern for her. She was most definitely not used to that.

”No, he wasn’t quick enough to load another arrow,” she stated and reached out to touch his neck with her hand, applying pressure to try and stop the bleeding. It didn’t look like any arteries had been hit, and if he was up and alert and walking, he should be fine. He did say he had healing abilities, so she probably didn’t even have to put pressure on the wound. Mia looked up at his face, before realizing how awkward that would be to make eye contact while she was touching his neck, so she focused on the wound.

But then, over his shoulder she saw a third bandit peeking out from behind another tree, notching an arrow and pulling back. As fast as she could, Mia let go of his neck and grabbed Val by the shoulders and essentially turned, switching positions and letting the arrow sink into her right shoulder. She let out a hiss of pain; an inch or so of the arrow had gone into her back, but the leather on her back stopped the rest of it from going through. Gods, did it still hurt though.

Mia quickly grabbed an arrow from Val’s quiver, snatched his bow out of his hands, and turned, ignoring the immense pain in her shoulder as she moved, and fired right back at the bandit as the arrow landed the surprised enemy right in the face while he was trying to fire another arrow. His body dropped to the ground as a clap of thunder echoed around them.

It was all quiet after that, aside from the sound of the rain pouring down around them. Mia’s eyes darted around again, waiting for more to come, but it appeared to be over. She handed the bow back to Val and glanced over her shoulder to see the arrow still sticking out. Mia didn’t want to pull it out until she was ready to bandage it up, so she left it there as she walked over to the body of the first man she killed, searching his body. Mia found a pouch of coins and stuffed that in her pocket, and a dagger or two. She grabbed the quiver off his back for Val if he wanted more arrows. ”Search the bodies, then let’s toss them in the river,” she pointed to the flooded stream not far off. ”They must have shelter around here, we’re too far from civilization, so we need to find it and wait out this storm,” she groaned as she started dragging the body to the river, her back where the arrow hit flaring up in pain.

[center][img width=510 height=170]http://static.tumblr.com/hfegpoq/xesog1nal/12.png[/img][/center]

The post was edited 3 times, last by galathynius ().

• VALENTINE HEATHCLIFF

"They say before you start a war, you better know what you're fighting for"

"That's good to hear," Val said, almost—almost—unfazed by the sudden gentleness as Mia pressed a hand to his neck.

And then Mia moved. She shielded Val with her own body, took a damn arrow for him and stole Val's bow to put an end to their third and hopefully-final enemy. All while Val watched with his lips parted in shock as Mia reacted with reflexes faster than anyone among the royal guard.

Val accepted his bow, keeping it strung in case of another attack and set about retrieving coins, daggers, a bronze spyglass and whatever assortment of useful knickknacks they could use on their journey. When it came to moving the bodies, Val put everything he had away, including his bow, and hurried over to Mia.

"Wait," he said softly. "Let me get the arrow out for you."

He didn't await an answer. Instead, he wrenched the arrow out of Mia's skin, pressed a hand to the wound and channelled his magic into her skin. He could feel muscles knitting themselves, arteries returning to their normal state. Val rendered the wound into a shallow cut before he dropped to his knees, utterly spent.

"There," he gasped. "You—You deal with the—the bodies. I'm gonna...take a nap."

Prince of Hearts | Archer

• Mia had at least managed to go ahead and get that first body into the river, watching the current swipe it away when Val came over and offered to pull the arrow out. ”No not ye-“ she was cut off as he yanked it out of her and she bit back a cry, as a string of curse words came out of her mouth. As soon as he pulled it out he’d pushed his hand on it and she could feel his magic in her, knitting her skin back together - and that hurt too. Mia ended up having to lean on the tree next to her until he was done, fallen to his knees in the exhaust of using his powers. ”You fool, I wanted to wait until we found shelter,” she said, staring down at him. She had to admit she was thankful for him, but he didn’t need to do that now.

”Absolutely not, you are not falling asleep. Get your arse onto that horse at least,” she whistled, and both of their steeds came over. Hers seemed okay, a little spooked, the arrow still sticking out of its flank. That she would wait to worry about as well until they could find somewhere to relax. But, Mia went into her pack and found her water flask and some dried meat, shoving it at the prince. ”Stay awake. Eat this for energy,” whether or not he was going to do it, she didn’t care, she tied the horses reigns to a tree branch so they wouldn’t run off, and she went to take care of the other bodies, dragging them into the river. Her shoulder felt quite excellent and it was easier to drag them off into the water. Mia wandered the area, looking for their footprints to determine the direction they were to go in, before returning to the prince to see if he had passed out, or was still awake to at least get them somewhere dry. Those bandits had to have a camp set up somewhere.

[center][img width=510 height=170]http://static.tumblr.com/hfegpoq/xesog1nal/12.png[/img][/center]

The post was edited 1 time, last by galathynius ().

• VALENTINE HEATHCLIFF

Val heaved himself to his feet using the nearby tree, gasping for air and clutching his side. He took the water and the dried meat, but he made no move to eat it.

"I'm fine," he spat out, though whether or not Mia was around to hear him was uncertain.

Instead, Val followed her instructions. He clambered onto his horse, shoving the dried meat back into the saddlebags while taking great big gulps of water. He made a note to keep the extra quiver Mia had taken, since some of his arrows had ended up in the river. He even kept the one he'd extracted from Mia, which he shoved into his quiver without a second thought.

"We should hurry!" Val called as Mia dealt with the bodies. "If that was just a scouting party, we're dead meat."

• Mia was in the middle of dragging the second body into the river when she had heard Val yelling at her to hurry up, because there could be more. ”’You take care of the bodies all by yourself’ he says ‘Hurry up’ he says at the same time,” she grumbled to herself. If he hadn’t decided to use his energy on her, maybe they’d be moving along quicker. But she wasn’t going to snap at him. ”Not like I can’t take more of them!” she yelled back, being arrogant, and started dragging the third body into the river. She ended up slipping, since the ground was so wet, and she was already soaked head to toe from the rain, and almost fell right into the rushing current. But she saved herself, but unfortunately got just a little more wet.

Mia stomped back to the horses a bit angrily and even more sopping wet. She looked over her horses flank, trying to see what the wound was like, and it seemed the arrow didn’t even really stick in the horse, it had just been a graze, and the animal had spooked. The bleeding had already stopped. Good - Mia did not want to have to deal with an injured horse. She untied them from the tree and hopped on her horse. ”Okay, Princess, let’s go. I’ll listen for the sound of your body hitting the ground if you get too tired to ride,” she had teased and then kicked her horse into gear, trying to get them out of the area in case any of those bandits had more friends.

”Thank you, though. For healing me. You didn’t have to do that,” Mia eventually said, over the sound of the rain, before going quiet for the next hour or so as Mia tried to find some form of shelter in the forest that they were still in. It wasn’t downpouring anymore but it was still raining slightly. She kept glancing over to check on Val to make sure he hadn’t passed out - she may have teased him earlier but she was concerned that he might just pass out on her. Curse this stupid prince, for making it very hard for her to not dislike him, or get attached.

By some miracle, out in the distance Mia saw what appeared to be a cabin, but it was very much old and abandoned, with some of the roof falling in, but at least there was a roof! It would be dry, not wet, and Val could get some energy back with a nap. ”There,” Mia pointed and steered her horse off track and over to the small cabin. She slid off her horse and grabbed her sword, approaching the door. She pushed it in and looked around. It was more of a shack than a cabin - just a single room with a rather dusty fireplace. And gods be damned - there was dry wood in the corner away from the rain. They could start a fire! She came back out a moment later ”All clear,” she stated, going over to tie the horses up nearby and give them some food and water before letting them rest. Then she approached Val to see if his exhausted bum needed any help getting inside after she’d grabbed her pack. Hopefully the clothes inside would be dry so she could change, and lay these sopping wet ones next to the fire she’d start to dry.

The post was edited 2 times, last by galathynius ().

• VALENTINE HEATHCLIFF

Va only smiled at Mia. "Why wouldn't I help you? Your my only conversational company and...and I couldn't let you...bleed." He had almost said die but stopped himself at the last moment. He feared bringing up the traumatizing memories which stirred beneath the surface. Reliving them now would be horrible for his focus.

When they reached the abandoned cabin, Val managed to swing himself out of the saddle and only stumbled a little when he hit the ground. His vision danced, but he oriented himself by placing a hand on his horse's side. Val blinked severaly times, grabbed his bags and stepped into the cabin.

"Cozy," Val remarked, setting his stuff down underneath an overhang and wandering about the main room. "Sure it isn't haunted?"

• Mia had squinted at him in confusion with his words. ”I’m sure you did it not because of that but because you’re paying me to see you safely to the fae queen. If I die, you’re out of luck,” she said with an eye roll. ”Though I’ve suffered worse than being shot by an arrow. I would have been fine,” Mia shook her head. Once they had gotten to the hut, she stood near when he stumbled off the horse, but overall he seemed fine and went inside.

Mia went over to the corner with the wood - it was a little old, and dusty, but dry enough to use as firewood. She grabbed a few and tossed them into the fireplace, managing to set them ablaze with a match. She glanced back his way when he asked if it was haunted and she had to grin. ”Hope it is. Scared of ghosts?” she asked as she righted herself and went over to her bag to pull out the dry clothes.

”If you don’t mind facing away for a moment I’d like to get out of these,” Mia motioned to her soaked clothing, already removing her cloak and outer layers - her jacket and weapons and such.

• VALENTINE HEATHCLIFF

Val narrowed his eyes. Did she really assume he had saved her because she was his only ticket to see the Fae Queen? How odd. Val had never been selfish that way, not once in his life. He helped people because it was the right thing to do. He had no ulterior motive. Was Mia always so skeptical?

"Not scared of ghosts," Val said softly. "Not the ones in the real world. But I am scared of the ones up here." He tapped the side of his head and smiled grimly at Mia before he turned away.

With his back to Mia, he sat down cross-legged on the floor and let his mind wander. He had expected it to jump back to the massacre like it always did, but instead it wandered to Mia...and then he blushed furiously. He pinched his thigh and let his mind focus instead on the ghosts maybe haunting the cabin just so he could distract himself from not one but two things he didn't want to think about.

• Mia was not exactly expecting such a depressing response to her joke about being afraid of the ghosts in his head. This man was truly as broken as she had been, once. But the fact she was noticing she’d been able to overcome it all was probably the most shocking. And here she’d thought she’d still been a mess, and at the same time numb to everything - pushing her emotions into her work as a cold blooded killer. Though, Mia rarely, rarelyever accepted a contract that would eliminate an innocent person.

But Mia truly feared the Mad King, and if she said no, she might have been killed right then and there, as well. She was starting to wonder if it was even worth it to kill this man anymore. If his family was truly all dead, though, wouldn’t it be a mercy? Would he be able to fight back and rule with this heavy sadness weighing on his shoulder? She thought about all of this, contemplating for once in her life the morality of her profession, as she stripped out of her wet clothes, and pulled on the dry ones. It took a few minutes, and she kept glancing to make sure Val wasn’t peeping. Once she was done she laid out the clothes close to the fire in hopes they would dry. But later, when he was asleep, she’d probably use her magic to dry them.

Mia opened her mouth to announce it was all clear, and if he wanted to change as well she’d allow him the privacy, but decided to have a bit of fun, and see if he was lying about being scared of real ghosts. As quietly as she could, Mia moved and knelt behind him, before whispering, ”Boo,” fairly close to his ear

• VALENTINE HEATHCLIFF

((I am getting serious Aelin Galathynius vibes from Mia. Was that where you drew your inspiration?))

Val jumped a mile in the air and flipped over to stare at Mia, his chest heaving. His first thought had been of an ambush, but then everything had registered, and his mind had returned to normal. His body, however, took a little longer to settle back down. He swallowed hard, pushing his fantasies to the back of his mind and straightened up.

"You're pretty sneaky," Val finally managed to choke out. "No wonder you're such a good assassin."

Val wondered how exactly Mia had ended up being an assassin in the first place. Had she been trained as an orphan? Had she been enslaved? Had she desperately needed money? Did she enjoy killing? Val doubted the last one. So far, Mia didn't seem like a sadist. She'd actually been...surprisingly nice.

• [haha inspiration yes. i wanted to do the tog plot but without actually doing it. i’m a sucker for the whole “she’s actually heir to the throne” shit but I’ve changed some stuff about her past and her magical abilities. i actually have built a completely different background than I did in the first post to make my timeline fit 😂so disregard everything I’ve already ‘revealed’ about her past. that stuff will come later when she actually opens up to Val. Character is also somewhat inspired by Mia Corvere from Nevernight too, hence the name]

Mia had stepped back when Val spun around so fast, and she covered her mouth with her hand to suppress the laughter that was bubbling over. That was, until she couldn’t hold it back and she let it take over, shoulders shaking with mirth. She really hadn’t expected to scare him, but she had hoped it would work.

”Well, you’re correct. I do not have an infamous assassin name for nothing,” she had said once she calmed down, though she kept laughing a little as she went into her bag to retrieve some snacks - it had been a while since she ate, and she was pretty sure he hadn’t eaten the food she’d given him before.

”Now. Are you going to change as well? Or do you want me to take a look at that wound on your neck,” Mia pointed to where the arrow had grazed him. ”That is, unless you’re going to heal yourself,” she reached to touch the spot where the arrow had gone into her back. Not even a scratch or a bump or a scar. She had plenty of those all across her body from various fights and training accidents. ”I can take first watch if you’d like to rest for a few hours. It’s hard to travel in this storm anyways, but I think it should let up by morning,” she shivered, sliding closer to the fire, and found some food for her to munch on, bread and cheese while she waited for a response from him on what he would prefer to do.

Mia was too on edge to sleep, adrenaline still running through her veins after the fight in the woods. She sincerely hoped there would be no other bandits after them.