writing help

Let's Share! has (finally) launched! Our first article is a World of Tanks Guide by Enderclaw!
Check out this announcement about a new Power Reset item being added to the Inventory Store!
  • please please please help me I am horrible at writing and i keep saying and, like, very, a lot and I'm not great with going into detail, and i don't know how to find my own style. Any help will be appreciated thank you in advance <3

☾*: Summertime — And the livings easy

She/Her | Extended | Nemesis from Shadow Veil

• hi! i can help!

1. i think finding other in-between words to replace like, such as “as” would be good to look into. same with very / a lot (by the way, for a lot, i wouldn’t recommend using it in descriptive writing if you’re trying to be formal!).

2. for going into detail, try to envision what your character is feeling / looking at / smelling / hearing / etc etc! many people tend to only focus on one sense (one that ive noticed most people use is the sense of sight), but thinking about the whole spectrum of feeling will help a lot I promise!

3. don’t worry about your style! it will come to you, i promise! just write the way you want to and everything will be fine <3

☽ ━ A BOND BEYOND THE LAST WAVE, UNTIL THE LAST GRAVE

SHE , HER | EXT + TRAD | CHARACTERS | 1/4 OF BASTARD ALLIANCE | ALWAYS HERE TO HELP! ━

The post was edited 2 times, last by tempest ! ().

• AAaaa, I know you said you'd like any advice in general, but is there anything specifically you'd like to explore? :0!

I can offer some advice with character personality and development!! but I'm afraid I lack in style KDKSKS

For trouble with going into detail in your posts, don't get too lost or scared and think that all you'll have to use is big words or really long adjectives!!! Just write what colors or feelings come to mind with what you're writing with! Whether it's the weather, the environment, or even your character's own form or actions!

I'm sorry if I worded that weirdly aaaa

DO YOU COME FROM A LAND DOWN UNDER?

he/him × gay × 17 × premades × site married to chuff × pm me if you need help!

Ryad (Solaris Kingdom) | Rohan Kishibe (Volary Flights)

Dio Brando (The Exiles) | Gyro Zeppeli (Sanguine Ruins)

Ghiaccio (Wind Haven) | Diego Brando (Blackheart Rogues)

Weaselpaw (Traditional Riverclan)

• Magi character development/personality would be nice actually! I'm honestly willing to take any advice :>

☾*: Summertime — And the livings easy

She/Her | Extended | Nemesis from Shadow Veil

• I've written a book and I came to a simple conclusion. The more you write, the better you are. It's like drawing. That's why FeralFront is amazing. You can spice your style up a lot.

Specifically, I heard that if you want, you can take a writer whose writing style you want, and rewrite a section of their book, word to word. It should help your writing voice awhile staying original.

i forget my glasses all the time

(i made that up myself, how poetic am i?)

—— plays Jewelpelt (DarkClan warrior) | storage | in angst jail w/ luci

• i do my best to get inside my characters' heads to find how i should write with them! for example, with kira, he is very formal and charismatic, but also incredibly narcissistic and self-serving. with these ideas in mind, i will try to find a tone for them. based on these key points from his personality, i write him formally, trying to use words with cold but beautiful connotations for a cold but charismatic man. if you are ever stuck for words, look up stuff on thesaurus, SAT vocab study quizlets (i do this a lot lol), and more! but like magi said, don't get too hung up on any of this stuff- i like thinking about it because i find it fun, but if it stresses you out then don't sweat it. writing should be fun, especially on a warrior cats roleplay website lol

as for finding a style, i just take bits of what ive read recently and incorporate that! i remember when i first started writing kira, i was reading the great gatsby for my english class, so a lot of fitzgerald influence got mixed in with my posts. this has continued even now, where other users' writing styles influence my own! magi, pure, sam, and pin come to mind first as writers i look up to here, though everyone is really great <3

and then for character development, i usually just try to get inside of their head! it comes sort of easily for me just because i am a super empathetic person, but it really helps if you can identify aspects of yourself with that character and then go from there. with kira, i bring out the worse aspects in my own personality to make him a more believable character with believable flaws (namely narcissism and self-servitude). it helps if you understand their motivations and what they would be thinking / why to write them believably. asking yourself questions about your character always helps a lot too! i have some lists i compiled from other threads i've seen HERE if you'd be interested in looking at those.

i hope none of this was overwhelming :'- ) like i said, roleplaying should be fun, so don't feel like any of this process is mandatory. this is just what i like to do with my characters!

YOU GOTTA FIGHT ⁎⁺˳✧༚ FOR YOUR RIGHT

TO PARTY! ——– STORAGE & CHARACTERS

• oh gosh meg DESTROYED ME with advice skgkkg

but for character development and personality (especially when writing multiple characters at once) i take one trait from that character and i expand it over the character like an "exoskeleton", that way that specific trait becomes a webbing to work from.

for example, i'll dumb it down to only one noticeable trait like

"Rohan is a narcissist"
    and then i'll sort of pick his brain and try to think of certain scenarios like

"would he do this?" or "would he consider that?" "What is his opinion of such and such?"

and based on his future actions and the actions and events around him ill mold him accordingly!!

but tbF EVERYONE ELSE COVERED EVERYTHING RLLY NICELY AND A LOT BETTER HHH SHABDSGHSH

DO YOU COME FROM A LAND DOWN UNDER?

he/him × gay × 17 × premades × site married to chuff × pm me if you need help!

Ryad (Solaris Kingdom) | Rohan Kishibe (Volary Flights)

Dio Brando (The Exiles) | Gyro Zeppeli (Sanguine Ruins)

Ghiaccio (Wind Haven) | Diego Brando (Blackheart Rogues)

Weaselpaw (Traditional Riverclan)