raining from my eyes // p, rosepaw

Let's Share! has (finally) launched! Our first article is a World of Tanks Guide by Enderclaw!
Check out this announcement about a new Power Reset item being added to the Inventory Store!
  • SOMEONE TOSS ME A ROPE —

It had been a tough week for Stormpaw. He'd spent a lot of time feeling inadequate and missing his friends from when he was young. But they weren't really around anymore. Some were missing or they'd simply grown apart. So Stormpaw began to feel lonely. And when he was lonely he really didn't know what to do.

So the young tom spent most of his time wandering the territory and hunting. Sometimes he'd see someone from another clan, but they never really bothered him. Most of the time they didn't even acknowledge each other.

Stormpaw liked to wander aimlessly, it helped keep his mind off of things. It was as if if he kept walking he could stay one step ahead from the dark thoughts that usually clouded his mind. On this particular day he found himself near the thunderpath, a place he often walked by but never dared to stray too close to.

He remembered the time his mother had almost died on the thunderpath. He remembered seeing other cats die here. It was like an unmarked graveyard for so many lost lives. But now he was there, and he found himself walking closer and closer. Stormpaw was transfixed by the dark, unforgiving surface. One step led to another and soon he was standing smack dab in the middle, green eyes wide as he looked around. Everything was silent.

And then the rumbling started. Farther down the thunderpath. Not quite close enough for him to worry. But it was there, and steadily getting louder. Stormpaw just stood, frozen, staring down the road at the monster that was approaching.

"Twenty seconds." he estimated, judging from the distance between him and the car. His mind raced. Was he really going to stick this out? Sure, I don't really care about anything anymore.he thought darkly, furrowing his brow. But part of him wanted to dash to the side and laugh in relief. Stormpaw wasn't quite sure which side of him would win this time.

// Rosethorn. sorry it's a bit long!!

dcvmdpm-67af039f-323f-4a77-98fe-30e675fb35dc.png

*:・゚✦ — this has turned into disaster lately

thunderclan apprentice & 10 moons & male

• Rosepaw couldn’t help herself. Nearly everyday she made the arduous trek through miles of coniferous woodland and rough terrain to reach the long stretch of thunderpath, and although she couldn’t pinpoint exactly why, perhaps, like Stormpaw, it had to do with her sense of loneliness and mourning. The smell of deep black tar and monster fumes conjoined together to form a toe-curling, pungent smell of unpleasantness in her nose, wiping away every trace of vole tracks or herbs to be found in the area. Across the way she had often seen strangers go about their daily business; hunting, gathering herbs, checking borders, but few dared to go so far as the thunderpath itself. It was well-renowned for its reputation as a deathwish, for only the stupid and over-confident dated to pass without first taking the necessary precautions. So many cats had been broken and flattened here, so many widowers and orphans had been made because of this dangerous landmark. Rosepaw only came here for the relative silence of being alone aside from the occasional roar of a monster as it came hurling down the thunderpath, but even more bewildering was when she spotted a stranger standing atop the long black pathway. His fur was the colour of wheat wavering on a warm day, his eyes the colour of sage hidden deep in the woods, but his heart seemed cold, his gaze even icier.

Her paws prickled with heat as she saw him, concern springing into her eyes. The earth began to rumble around her with terror, her ears ringing as she heard the first signs of a monster flinging itself down the thunderpath. Rosepaw supposed this was the only use of her emotions, the ability to move beyond her measures of capability simply because she cared too much to fail. With a pivotal movement, she stepped forwards and up to the edge of the thunderpath, her whiskers quivering with her urgency. "Excuse me," she called out to him, feeling the vibration underpaw grow and grow. "There’s a monster coming. You should move," she advised, but her signature tranquility was absent from her voice. In fact, her voice wavered and her paws twitched and she glanced this way and that as if the monster might come pealing down on him at any moment. Her head froze as she spotted the big, ebony paws of a monster in the distance. The rumbling rose to a fever pitch now, shaking her legs and forcing her heart to pound faster and faster. It’s big, yellow eyes cut through the early morning mist, sending a cold shiver coursing down Rosepaw’s spine. She looked back to the cream-coloured tom, voice louder this time. "You have to move, now."

She spent too much time talking. The monster ran faster and faster, and the tom would have only a few seconds to kick his legs into gear and remove himself from the path of the reaper. Understanding now what she must do to clear her conscience, Rosepaw lurched forwards and attempted to grip the tail of the stranger in her mouth and tug him back, away from the edge of oblivion.

/ no worries!! Sorry mine is so short, I’m mobile for the week :^)

LIKE A BAD RELIGION [ TAGS ]

LET'S PICK THE TRUTH THAT WE BELIEVE IN

8 MONTHS — SHADOWCLAN — TAGS — PENNED BY LAZERITY

As the monster grew louder, its thundering paws creating a cacophony of noise and heat, the tom stayed still. At some point he heard someone speaking to him, but it sounded far off as if from a dream. Stormpaw was intent on staying frozen in place, despite the warnings that someone had shouted at him. The air was churning now, bringing the awful stench of the thunderpath to the forefront of his mind. The young tom wrinkled his nose and was about to turn to see who had been calling to him from the other side, but before he could do anything he tugged from behind and sent tumbling away from the center of the thunderpath.

For a moment he thought that that was the end. He had been hit by a monster... right? But then why could he still feel his legs, his ears, and feel a blooming ache in his tail? Stormpaw looked around wildly as a roar echoed through the air. He looked up just in time to catch a sight of the monster raging by, passing him completely from where he lay at the edge of the road. The young tom shut his eyes for a moment, breathing hard. I almost did it. Mouse dung, I really almost did it, his thoughts pestered him.

Stormpaw opened his verdent eyes after a long pause, once his heartbeat slowed and he caught his breath. He felt shaky, as if he had just endured a long run. But he knew that wasn't a case. It was fear and adrenaline coursing through his veins, which still pumped blood despite his attempt to stop them.

He looked around, finally seeing the culprit who had foiled his plan. There was another cat with mottled fur of orange, white, and black. For a moment he thought it might be his sister Skypaw, but no, the colours were off. This was a stranger, someone Stormpaw had never seen before. "Um. Hi." he said simply, brows furrowed in concern. What was she doing here? And why did she stop me? he wondered, glancing to his tail where she had pulled it.

"I wasn't trying to..." he tried to explain something, but his voice faltered. That was starting out as a lie, anyways. He stared down at his paws, feeling embarrassed.

• With one strong tug on his fuzzy tail, the strange, starstruck tom stumbled back with clumsy paws and his eyes hidden to the world. He had squeezed them shut as if embracing the darkness, accepting that the end was nigh and that the deep, dark coldness of death was bound to take him soon, but with the roar and eventual fade of the monster in the distance, it became clear that he was still alive. The breeze licked his fur as he opened his eyes slowly, feeling the vibrations fade and the pungent scent get fainter. Rosepaw stood, her paws also tingly but her eyes hard and cold, her face apathetic, and her mouth a straight line of tranquility. She looked like a saint, standing there as if there was nothing wrong with her, as if she were perfect, but the outside was an elaborate ruse. She knew what it felt like to be alone and scared, to hate the real world so much it would be easier to passbook into the land of the dead than continue living. Such was why she could relate to him so much.

He said hi to her, awkwardly, unsure how to act after she had saved him from a flattened spine. He stumbled over his words and looked around from one side to the other, his gaze rolling from place to place before finally settling on her. He tried to give an explanation for his actions, what exactly he was trying to do, but from the cold, dead state she witnessed on his face when he stepped into the thunderpath, she knew he was dead long before his paws ever touched the only black tar. Rosepaw shook her head quickly. "Stop," she commanded of him, flicking her ear and raising her head, a deeply personal glimmer in her striking blue eyes. "You don’t need to explain yourself to me. I don’t know you nor your story. I only know that you are alive and standing here right now, and that’s all that matters. Nothing I can say can relieve whatever happened just now."

Rosepaw’s words hug heavily in the air, like clouds just before rainfall. An awkward silence punctuated by the chirping of birds and the rustling of wind through the leaves fell close after her sentence, but Rosepaw was the first to break it. She offered him a smile, the smallest, tiniest quirk of her lips, so subtle it barely even existed. "But, if anything, I believe introductions are in order," Rosepaw paused, sniffing the air deeply. "You are a Thunderclanner, are you not? I am Rosepaw of ShadowClan, pleasure to make your acquaintance, although sadly in such... Dire circumstances."

Stormpaw felt his cheeks burn with shame. She knew roughly what he had been doing standing out in the thunderpath like that. The young tom pulled one paw over his head and face, trying to shake the weird staticky feeling in his fur, like it was standing all on end. As such he ended up ruffling the delicate fur on his forehead, causing it to stand up comically and make him look even more disheveled. Not that it really mattered to him at the moment.

He let out a breath and listened to her speak, watching her piercing blue eyes warily. She spoke strangely, and for a moment he thought he might have actually died and was talking to very wise Starclan cat. But no, he was alive, she was alive, and something had just been said but he hadn't been playing complete attention. Nothing she can say... can relieve what just happened. Something like that, yeah, came his thoughts. The young tom twitched his whiskers in thought, trying to figure out something to say in the silence that followed. It was kind of dramatic, he had to admit.

And then she had smiled. He'd almost missed it. Just a tiny quirk of her lips that Stormpaw realized was gone in the blink of an eye. She spoke again, introducing herself. Rosepaw, he mused, that's a nice name.But he realized it was his turn to speak, and he didn't want another weird silence again.

"I'm Stormpaw. And yes... Thunderclan, you're correct. Thank you, by the way." he replied, trying not to appear like he'd just done something stupid. "Y'know... I'm sorry you had to see that. I can see how that kind of made you... somewhat accountable. But anyways... you speak kind of fancy, y'know what I mean? Excellent use of vocabulary." he then said, knowing he was rambling and grasping for a conversation topic. But he figured he owed it to her, and he hoped to somehow convey how thankful he was for her interference.

• He ran his paw over his head, her words evidently having done more harm than good. She could feel the heat and electricity flickering from his fur, the hot shame boiling just beneath the surface, the embarrassment of being caught and saved for that matter and the fright of having been so low to have been in such a situation in the first place. Rosepaw has felt the same thing before, the self-hatred after being caught engaging in self-destructive activity she knew she shouldn’t have been engaging in. In her case she needed no saving, only a wakeup call and the idea that it was okay to have emotions and it was okay to feel them without shame or anger. Perhaps if those words had fully sunk into her, she might’ve laughed at how this sunset-hued stranger’s head fur stuck up like streaks of lightning over his skull. But she didn’t, she merely stared, dead-eyed and apathetic, a shell of a kitten a long time ago. Traces of that youthful joy could still be seen flickering in her blue eyes, the debris of playfulness and stubborn joy. He flicked his ears and quivered his whiskers and Rosepaw returned her mind to the conversation, briefly flicking her ears as if tossing away strands of a memory still clinging to her dappled fur.

He called himself Stormpaw, an apprentice of ThunderClan. On first thought, she thought his name was inaccurate, that the sheer golden colour of his fur could never match up to the deep gray destruction of a tropical thunderstorm, but then she saw his eyes. There was a stir in his pale green eyes, and then she saw the storm, and Rosepaw knew he was called Stormpaw for a reason, whether hidden to her all-seeing eyes or not. She settled where she stood and quickly flicked her thinly-furred tail over her paws. He said that she had a large vocabulary and Rosepaw nearly let out a loud, bitter laugh, but she wisely controlled herself. She briefly wondered if he could see through it, if he could see through the massive wall she built around herself not only to protect her heart but also to intimidate all those around her and make sure they didn’t dare get close in the first place. She couldn’t believe she had done it without trying once more, even trying to intimidate a cat she knew was absolutely no threat to her at all. Upon realising that the habit had grown into second nature for her, Rosepaw felt her gut sink and her stomach churn with dread. She realised suddenly that she had only pushed everyone away from her after her mother died because she was scared. Rosepaw resisted another temptation to laugh bitterly. So much for being emotionless.

"It’s okay. Cats think I should be held accountable for a lot of things," Rosepaw murmured in response, rocking her head from one side to the other. "I guess they think I’m more mature than I really am. You know, big words and everything. I don’t remember exactly when I learned it all. I think when I became an apprentice I got very...quiet, and much more eager to learn and listen to everything. Is that...strange?"

Stormpaw watched as Rosepaw took his words and processed them, wondering what her inner monologue was saying. When he had mentioned her large vocabulary it seemed for a moment she was fighting something back. A laugh? A snarl? Stormpaw couldn't be quite sure. He thought of his sister Coldnose for a moment, knowing she'd probably understand Rosepaw more. But he didn't know the calico Shadowclan cat enough yet for that to be an accurate judgement.

As Rosepaw spoke in reply he felt a twinge of intrigue at her words. Cats think I should be held accountable for a lot of things. That was interesting. He made a mental note to ask Rosepaw about that should they ever get to know each other better. It didn't seem right to ask her now, considering he barely knew her. That kind of backstory stuff was usually reserved for someone you trusted a lot.

"You definitely seem very mature. And the apprentice thing makes sense, for sure. Everyone could benefit from learning things." he replied, feeling his heartbeat slow and his breath fall into a normal rhythm. It seemed the adrenaline from his little 'stunt' on the thunderpath was finally leaving his system, leaving his legs feeling weak and his mind clearer than before. Stormpaw wrapped his fluffy tail around his paws and looked back at Rosepaw, his gaze friendly. All this talking is getting my mind off of... well. All that sad stuff, the young tom thought to himself.

"Do you ever wish you could go back to being a kit? ... I mean, it's a strange question, for sure, but when I was younger I was just like a little ball of sunshine, always smiling and laughing and not really worrying about stuff." he said next, flicking his tail idly beside him. Stormpaw watched Rosepaw for her response, wishing he knew what was going on behind her stoic seafoam eyes.