let's begin [training]

Let's Share! has (finally) launched! Our first article is a World of Tanks Guide by Enderclaw!
Check out this announcement about a new Power Reset item being added to the Inventory Store!
  • ✧ // but i made it with you next to me

She could only stall for so long before Summerpaw needed to actually start learning things. Her apprentice's injuries on her paws were cause for Icefeather putting off the beginning of her apprentice's training, because she didn't want Summerpaw putting more strain on her sore, injured paws for longer than necessary. The white tabby had been taking the young she-cat on trips throughout the territory instead, slowly increasing the length of the walks as a sort of rehabilitation for Summerpaw's injuries while also showing the apprentice where certain herbs could be found. But now, Icefeather figured it was time to start the real training. Her apprentice seemed more present in mind after some downtime for healing, so Icefeather figured Summerpaw could handle learning herbal uses now.

Trotting out to the main part of the den where Summerpaw's nest was located, Icefeather called softly for her apprentice. "Summerpaw?" Icefeather wanted to start with the basics, and wondered if she might be able to talk to Summerpaw about some of the things Icefeather had gone through, perhaps as encouragement that she could be strong and push through this challenge to achieve her goals. But that might be a conversation for another time.

SUMMERPAW

speaking thoughts

• Coming to terms with her new life wasn’t as hard as she had thought it would be. The pain was a constant reminder of what had happened to her but Starclan had saw it fit to make sure the one whom had harmed her had a short life. His death had brought her a strange sense of satisfaction because of the righteousness that it has come from. Now she laid upon her next with paws tucked underneath herself. She knew she had nothing to fear with Starclan at her side. Being the medicine cat was a dream come true and she breathed out softly as she finished her prayer to the stars that always shinned above. Her name being called pulled her from her thoughts and she opened sun kissed eyes to peer at Icefeather, gaze holding a myriad of emotions but the most prominent was excitement because maybe they were going out again. Rising to her paws quickly she still had a small pain, phantom pains that crept up but she hardly paid them any attention. “Are we doing something today, Icefeather?”

PXQ54fb.png

☾*: ALL THAT GLITTERS IS GOLDEN —————

MOLTEN, BLISTERING, MELTING AWAY MY SINS.

SUMMERPAW / FEMALE / MCA / SHADOWCLAN / PENNED BY VALKYRIE

Softening slightly at her apprentice's blatant eagerness, glad to see Summerpaw coming back to herself after everything that had happened with BloodClan, the white tabby couldn't help but purr a little. Stepping back towards the storage area, Icefeather gestured with her tail for the younger she-cat to wait a moment. Digging through some herbs for a moment, the medicine cat returned a few heartbeats later with four different herbs in her jaws. Placing them down side by side in front of Summerpaw, Icefeather sat across from her apprentice and folded her tail neatly across her paws as she leveled her indigo stare with the younger. "We're officially beginning your training. These are four of the most basic and commonly used herbs we have. This one is marigold, these are juniper berries, these are poppy seeds, and this is horsetail. I'm also working off the assumption you know what cobwebs look like so I don't have to fetch those to show you." Icefeather pointed out each herb with a gentle flick of her tail and purred as she mentioned the cobwebs.

"Do you want to take a guess at what these are commonly used for? Most cats in the Clan could probably guess at least two of these since they're used so often."

speaking thoughts

• Excitement flared to life in her pumpkin orange eyes as she looked up at her mentor. No matter the circumstances she would always, always be willing and able to train and learn. Icefeather was the best mentor she could ask for and the molly moved forward carefully to look down upon the herbs that had been brought out before her. Of course she knew what cobwebs looked like as they were the normal things used to stop the bleeding of most wounds and to clean them up along with wet moss. This was something she knew. Her eyes swept over what had been brought before her. Marigold, juniper berries, poppy seeds, horsetail. Her head tilted as she kept this information locked way in her skull, tapping her paw against the ground in thought. "Marigold is used to prevent infect, you have to chew it up and spread it over the wound. I know poppy seeds are used to help with pain, or help a cat to sleep. But I'm not sure about juniper berries or the horsetail." Shifting she flicked her eyes up to look at Icefeather, body shifting and jittering with excitement to see if she was right or wrong.

PXQ54fb.png

The medicine cat's indigo eyes softened a little as she nodded, pleased that Summerpaw knew at least this much of the basics. Pointing with her tail to the marigold, Icefeather began explaining in a little more detail for her apprentice, going down the line as she spoke. "You were correct about the marigold. It's primary use is to stop infection and bleeding. We can use both the petals and leaves to achieve this. Sometimes, if we really need to, we can also just use the juice squeezed out of the plant. The juniper berries have a few uses, but the two purposes I find myself utilizing them for most are for bellyaches and strength. The poppy seeds you were also right about. They're chewed up and help soothe a cat's nerves or distress and pain as well as helps them sleep. We cannot give them to queens, however, and I'll come back to that another time. Lastly, the horsetail is similar to marigold in that it's used to stop infection and bleeding. We chew it up into a poultice to put on the wounds." Studying her apprentice's face, Icefeather asked calmly, wrapping her tail around her paws again as she did, "Do you understand? Any questions?"

speaking thoughts

• Her gaze narrowed the longer that Icefeather continued to talk but that was because she was taking everything in and trying to commit it to memory. She’d study hard and force herself to remember because it was lol important to what she wanted to do in life. Her maw moved slowly as she repeated it to herself. Juniper berries for stomach aches and strength and horsetail mirrors marigold. They both need poultices though the juice from marigold can also be used. She gave a bright nod as she stored away the information to be used possibly often before she straightened up and puffed out her chest. “No questions other than why poppy seeds can’t be given to queens.” It was the only thing that hadn’t been told to her and so she waited to see why the answer to her question was as she leaned down to sniff gently at each herb so that she could memorize it as well make sure she knew what it looked like in case she went out to gather some herself.

PXQ54fb.png

Nodding to her apprentice, Icefeather purred slightly with pride, knowing and seeing how hard Summerpaw was working to memorize what was taught to her. "We don't give poppy seeds to queens - usually nursing queens, but I try to avoid giving them to expecting queens too - because sometimes there's a risk of the herb negatively affecting an expecting queen or a nursing queen's milk supply. We have another herb to give them for pain, especially during a kitting, but we can get to that later. It's not crucial right now, as we don't have any expecting queens." Noticing her apprentice sniffing at the herbs laid before her, Icefeather went quiet, giving Summerpaw a moment orient herself with the scents of the plants. She made a mental note to show Summerpaw where the best places in the territory were to procure these later.

speaking thoughts