Steel, Song, and Dragonbone

Let's Share! has (finally) launched! Our first article is a World of Tanks Guide by Enderclaw!
Check out this announcement about a new Power Reset item being added to the Inventory Store!
  • Well, that was a development, wasn't it? It had been a while since Merric had been the only human among his traveling companions. Particularly in these lands, which hadn't been as welcoming to nonhumans as he might have hoped or been accustomed to in the past. "It's lovely to meet you, Fern," he said, dipping his head slightly. "I'm glad you've decided to join us."

And then there was Key, who appeared to be half-elven, and also seemed to be commenting as though there were anyone that Merric would mind traveling with. "Of course I don't mind," he said, and his smile softened a little at the edges, a touch less blindy optimistic and a bit gentler. "We had an agreement, didn't we?" And that, ultimately, was all there was to it.

Admittedly, Merric had a sneaking suspicion that all the revelation had been meant to be a bit more dramatic. Perhaps it would have been more striking if he could see color, he supposed---but at the end of the day, there'd simply been more that he'd seen. It had all been a long time ago, or at least felt like it. Back before. When he'd still had full use of his eyes, and he'd been in a different place, and the world around him had been filled with strange and wonderful things that felt more like a dream than ever these days.

With all the formalities settled, there was little more to be done than discussing logistics, and that could be taken care of on the move. "Shall we be off, then?" he asked, turning back to the road as though to continue. "If someone wouldn't mind taking the lead, that would be appreciated; I'm not much at keeping an eye on the road ahead." He snorted softly, almost under his breath, and gestured vaguely toward his clouded eyes.

Activity status: Your friendly neighborhood Feanorian is trying to balance college, a job, and writing a fantasy novel. Needless to say, I'm a bit busy; however, I'm still trying to reply to threads in a reasonable amount of time. If you feel I'm taking too long, please message me - I'll reply as soon as I can!

• tumblr_msuq70V86k1soh0hho1_500.gif

LADY ELIA VALIRAN

MORGANA

Chaotic Good Sorceress Lesbian

The blind man's call was as captivating as it was bold. Morgana wasn't the only one to turn and stare at the, well, she could only assume sorcerer, now. He was looking for traveling companions on his way to a port city and he had magic. The optimistic side of Morgana longed to approach, follow after another hopeful that was hurrying after the traveler, but that side was the reason she was running now. It just seemed too much of a coincidence, the perfect trap to fall into. Maybe He had been faster than she anticipated in following her and this man was here in hopes that she would approach him now and ask for the companionship she so craved on her journey. Morgana had never been this alone in her life, when you grew up in a castle there was never an ounce of privacy between family, diplomats, soldiers, and servants all wandering about. No, it was too risky, she wouldn't approach, she would stay hidden and continue on her way.

Hood pulled more firmly around her head and rucksack held with white knuckled hands, Morgana started off in much the same direction as the other magic user. Surely lots of travelers passed through here on their way to the sea and her presence wouldn't be all that out of place. As she started walking again the girl was reminded of the stiffness in her legs and cursed. She had never walked this far in all her life- she would give anything for a horse on the last leg of her journey. It wasn't meant to be, however, and as she caught up and started past the unique little group she had nearly joined, Morgana saw that they didn't have the advantage of hooves either. What they did have, though, was an orc. It wasn't out of disgust or fear that she gasped, it was just, well, surprise. She had never seen an orc in person, the King was not kind to other races of creature and as such they didn't frequent noble houses. It took longer than she would like to admit to realize that she had stopped moving to stare. The sorceress flushed scarlet with shame and embarrassment, her eyes switching too in her sudden rush of emotion- her father use to tell her that magic was always in the eyes, though the truth of that statement was heavily debated- praying that the girl hadn't noticed her lingering. Honestly, Elia, with your habits you should know better! Giving herself a mental lashing, the noble lady shook her head and forced herself to start moving again, one foot in front of the other. With her coupling activities being what they were she understood the harm a gasp or a lingering stare could do when one was different. She didn't wish to inflict that kind of stomach sinking feeling on anyone, she just wanted to get on her damn boat and leave this country behind her.

ooc. sorry for the delay! I had a few finals to finish over the last few days!

Will be highly inactive from the 14th to the 28th due to workbee_PNG74649.png

• Fernweh of the Roads

"Key. Merric," Fern murmured to herself, bobbing her head. Her eyes lingered on the former, catching on his shining hair and lightly pointed ears. She'd never met a half-elf. She'd never even met another half-orc. Her head almost swam with relief; not only were these folk not hostile, but they were downright friendly. Fern grinned, showing off her tusks, and turned to take the lead. Traveling was, after all, her specialty. A gasp stopped her.

She caught the movement from the corner of her eye not a moment later. Another traveler. Hooded and cloaked, Fern couldn't tell much of their appearance. But their reaction told her all she needed to know. Not anger, not offense - mostly surprise. Someone sheltered. Probably never seen green-skinned folk before. Maybe they even assumed Fern was full-blooded orc. It had happened before. Fern could feel the stranger's gaze lingering, and felt her fingers tighten around her staff as she waited, tense, to see what this stranger would do. Her stomach had melted into a puddle in her feet, and her heart sat in her throat.

Though the moment seemed to stretch out for an eternity, it was no more than a second or two before the stranger swept on. Fern let out a small breath, gaze tracking the figure. She wanted to say something - a challenge, an apology, a threat, anything - but her words got stuck behind her heart. Instead, Fern stamped her staff and looked to her two traveling companions. "Shall we?"

Adventure awaits those brave enough to seek Her

• Image result for lucky blue smith gif smile

thallian keyruon

neutral good // ranger

Key breathed a sigh of relief as he released the tension in his shoulder he hadn’t realised he was holding. Introductions could quite often turn into sticky situations, and Key had had enough of those for several lifetimes over. He opened his mouth to speak again when he saw Fern move and look behind him. Key turned as well, spotting the figure that had come up on them in the path. Had Key not recognised her from the brief seconds he spotted her in the town, he might’ve reacted. But instead he only stood silently as he watched her. Hoods seemed to be a hot commodity these days.

Fern and the stranger seemed to share an odd interaction, neither uttering a word as they stared at one another. Neither displayed open hostility, but Key couldn’t help feel unease by them. This day was certainly stranger, Key found himself thinking and couldn’t help but wonder where this road was going to lead him. He wasn’t used to travelling in groups, and this was was certainly shaping up to be a very unique one. The half-elf was startled from his thoughts as he heard a muffled stomping of sorts as Fern stamped her staff into the hard packed earth with slight force and words to get them on their way.

“Yes,” Key agreed lightly as he began to move forward down the road. “We should make a good pace lest the weather turns poor,” he admitted with a glance towards the cloud laden sky. The storm had passed in the night, but by the feel of the air it seemed as if the gods were still deciding what the conditions would be. Regardless, there was rarely a good time to stay and linger.

• Merric had a mixed relationship with storms. On the one hand, they weren't necessarily a bad thing. They kept a lot of other people off the roads, and more often than not they were an experience that ended up taking him somewhere. Like guidance, to some degree. On the other hand, he couldn't see the sky to know that a storm was coming in, so his best guess was generally a change in the wind, or a shift in the atmosphere. This led to an unfortunate amount of getting caught in the rain. Added to this, the facts of his upbringing meant that storms were still sort of a new thing to him, which in turn meant that getting rained on was an experience he had not grown up with and decidedly did not like. Something felt deeply incorrect about it.

So he was in no hurry to be out in the rain again, should the gods decide to let the storm which had passed over them during the night return. "Indeed," he said. "Let's be off, then." He ignored the traveller who had passed them by; presumably, if they wanted companions on the road, they would have stopped and decided to come along with him and the other two gathered here. And that was all there was to it, really.

As they started down the road, a small band on their way to unseen sights and new adventures, he asked, "So, now that the hand of fate has brought us together, who arewe all? Other than names and faces, I mean." It was something which felt important to establish sooner rather than later, if only to get a sense for who he was traveling with for the time being and what roads had brought them to this one.

Activity status: Your friendly neighborhood Feanorian is trying to balance college, a job, and writing a fantasy novel. Needless to say, I'm a bit busy; however, I'm still trying to reply to threads in a reasonable amount of time. If you feel I'm taking too long, please message me - I'll reply as soon as I can!

• ((Since everyone is on the move now maybe timeskip to a later point in the journey?))

• //This is fair! I'd been going to do so in my previous post, but thought I'd hold in case anyone else who'd expressed interest in sticking around wanted to rejoin the group. As we've had a bit of a pause, though, I'd say it's safe to skip some time.//

• ((When we were PMing, pvrisienne said she was swamped with school stuff but really wanted to be part of the thread so IDK she could go either way when/if she becomes active again! Your call if you want to wait or not, obviously :) ))

• //That's fair! We can continue on, I think, and when she comes back she can rejoin us if she'd like.//

• ((Cool cool. I think Morgana would be traveling nearby but not with them cause they’re going toward the same place))

• hey there! I know I said I was still interested earlier and I still am but I'm thinking I could have a fresh start with my characters meeting the group? Like, just kinda forget the past meeting and have them meet up somewhere later during the group's journey?

my timezone: pacific daylight time [pdt]

i am no longer in hardcore school mode so my activity will be a bit better but tbh i can get easily distracted by video games and such. not only that but i am still busy with personal things so i will tend to get a bit tied up for a few days here and there and i'm prone to getting struck down with low muse sometimes so i may drop off the face of the planet

character gallery: never gonna give you up [time's character gallery] never gonna let you down

tumblr_p2bhm9VRhc1u4s87to1_500.gif

" remember what i said

boy you was battle born "

• // bees?! Absolutely!//

• The storm didn't hit. The air hung thick and close about the travelers as they made their way toward Melenir, but although the clouds swept low overhead, the rain didn't fall. It was an unpleasant sort of day, the cool dryness of the morning vanishing behind a wall of humidity. Merric's curls became steadily frizzier, a state which was only aggravated when he kept brushing his hands through them, trying to to keep the hair from sticking to his face. His mood had settled into just about the same state. Normally, he'd have slept this sort of thing out, found some shady place and waited for the night to come and cool things off before he started moving again. But as he'd been the one to make the announcement back in Alarnen that he was heading out on the road, there was a vague sense of commitment to remaining on said road despite his own distaste for the conditions.

Regardless, the sun dropped lower in the sky, mostly undetectable behind the thick banks of clouds and altogether invisible to Merric, whose sense of time was unreliable at best. No town appeared in the distance. Instead, the road wound steadily deeper into the wooded hills, the forest growing thicker and wilder as the hills grew taller. As the hours wore past, the road began to degrade, the well-packed surface giving way to one of rocks and ruts where passing carts had worn their trail too deeply in the road. This was not, it would seem, a good road to Melenir, which was reached mostly by sea.

As they crested another hill, the young man stopped, digging around in his pack to produce his marked map. He squinted at it for a bit before swearing softly and holding it up. "Alright," he said. "I'll admit I'm not much good at these. No sense of direction. Would we say that we've come a reasonable distance? Any towns nearby?" He raised his eyebrows with a bit of a huff. "Are we at least on the right road?"

"I could probably tell you that," a strange voice said. There was a crackling of brush, and a man stepped out from the edge of the forest. He was garbed in greens and browns, a hood pulled up over most of his face. A sword hung at his hip. "Of course, it might cost a bit, but that's just business for you." He smiled, though there was nothing warm about it.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Lone Feanorian ().

• Fernweh of the Roads

It was a pleasant sort of day. Fern basked in the heavy air; the weight of each breath reminded her of home, far to the south. The clouds overhead promised a show. Underfoot, the ground grew springy, and the trees grew up around. The scents of forest and humidity and life filled each moment, and Fern found herself thanking her god for the gift. This kind of weather drove others away, leaving nothing but open road; and there was nothing better than an open road. Feeling more relaxed than she had in a while, Fern abandoned her gloves and rolled up her sleeves, exposing olive green skin to the thick air.

Unfortunately, not everyone seemed to enjoy the weather as much as she did. Merric grew more distressed by the hour, his hair growing frizzy and his steps growing heavier. She didn't know if it was a human thing or a Merric thing, but the poor mage didn't get on with the humidity. Of course, if Fern had to judge, she'd of said that he didn't get on with the road in general. Her impression of him so far was less of a traveler and more of an entertainer. This opinion was only reinforced as Merric stopped to pull out a map.

Fern wasn't great a maps. She never used them, instead preferring to follow the whims of herself, the road, and her god. But her master had certainly made sure she could read one. Thus she was on the brink of speaking up when another voice beat her to it.

The half-orc whirled on a dime, registering many things at once. The man - for it was a man - was armed. Dressed for the forest. Hooded. And not as friendly as he sounded. And, she realized, her hood was still down, exposing features that were as dangerous as they were uncommon.

Surprising even herself, Fern spoke up. "I-I think we're good. Thank you. I can read a map just fine." She held her staff out a bit; less like a weapon and more like a shield between her and this stranger. She glanced at Merric and Key, uncertain whether her comment had been out of line.

• The man turned his attention to her, his hand resting on the hilt of his sword in a way that was anything but casual. "And you'd be the hired muscle, I suppose?" he asked lightly. "Keeping travelers safe on this dangerous stretch of road? I can appreciate a fellow businessperson, but while you may have prior claim, we have superior numbers."

"She's not--" Merric started, then stopped, eyes narrowing. "Ah. Superior numbers." His voice was utterly flat. "Let me guess. You've been elected by a jury of your peers?"

The stranger smiled again and nodded ever so slightly. "Just so."

"These peers are, I assume, concealed in the trees and hedges around us? And you'd be ever so pleased to let us go on our way again just as soon as we do you a small favor?"

"You've done this before, I see." His tone never became any less pleasant.

"A few too many times to count." Merric adjusted his grip on his staff ever so slightly, in case using it for more than support became necessary. He'd have hoped that traveling with a group---a group in which at least one member was clearly armed, no less---would prevent this sort of thing, but one couldn't have everything. Ah, well. So it went. "Come on, then," he said with a sigh. "Give us the speech."

The man bowed almost imperceptibly. "As you've so kindly pointed out, I've been chosen by a group of my peers, who are around us even as we speak, to be the one to approach your lovely little group. Now, we wouldn't want you to run into any trouble on the road, particularly in these parts of the hills, so if you'd be so kind as to unburden yourselves of any coinage or other potentially valuable possessions, we'd be happy to see you on your way undisturbed. Things may get a bit unpleasant if you have other plans in mind, but I'm certain you'll be cooperative."

• //slight bump//

• Ooc. I put myself in this tricky situation where the character I made wouldn’t join sooooo I’m not sure how I’m going to join up but I’m still interested lol

• [Maybe one of the bandits catches Morgana further down the road and mistakes her for part of the group? She gets dragged back and forced into their situation?]

• (i was thinking of re introducing my characters by possibly having them also come across the little scuffle and they could possibly help the group escape from it?)

my timezone: pacific daylight time [pdt]

i am no longer in hardcore school mode so my activity will be a bit better but tbh i can get easily distracted by video games and such. not only that but i am still busy with personal things so i will tend to get a bit tied up for a few days here and there and i'm prone to getting struck down with low muse sometimes so i may drop off the face of the planet

character gallery: never gonna give you up [time's character gallery] never gonna let you down

tumblr_p2bhm9VRhc1u4s87to1_500.gif

" remember what i said

boy you was battle born "