IMMORTALS | P, Oakpaw

Let's Share! has (finally) launched! Our first article is a World of Tanks Guide by Enderclaw!
Check out this announcement about a new Power Reset item being added to the Inventory Store!
  • SIMPLE WISH WAITS FOR REPLY —

With meetings and Gathering and politics, Driftingstar had been feeling a little run ragged lately. There was so much to keep track of as leader, and in his short time as deputy, he hadn't had time to really be trained on what would happen. But for today, at least, things were calm. It was a beautiful day, and the warriors had taken it upon themselves to sort out patrols and whatnot. So, Driftingstar decided to take his apprentice out. Oakpaw was growing into a smart, loyal, strong warrior, and the leader couldn't be more proud. If he had a son, it would be the lively Oakpaw. He had been with Driftingstar since he was a warrior, and now had the honor of being the leader's apprentice. He was a good kid. But Driftingstar didn't want him to feel left out or alone among the chaos of the Clan, so he tried to make time one-on-one for just the two of them.

"Hurry up, slowpoke," Driftingstar called teasingly as he leaped to the top of a particularly large boulder. Climbing rocks was in his blood; he'd been doing it in DarkClan since he was a kitten himself. "You're letting an old man beat you."

// oakpaw -

WHATEVER TOMORROW BRINGS

I HOPE IT BRINGS YOU JOY

driftingstar + trad. darkclan + 9/9 lives + 18 moons + rped by baratheon

• ・゚ ✦ ° why do love and hate sound just the same to me - Leaping from one boulder to the next, about two behind his mentor, the apprentice paused to look up at Driftingstar with a playful gleam in his golden eyes. He had been overjoyed this morning when the older tom had approached Oakpaw, suggesting a training session and adventure for the day. Understandably, Driftingstar had been unbearably busy since Pitchstar's death, and Oakpaw had been understanding and trained where he could. But it never compared to the joy the apprentice took from an amicable training session with his mentor.

"Oh please," Oakpaw chuckled, taking the leader's pause as a chance to quickly leap up the remaining two boulders and close the gap between them. "You're not that old yet." It was odd, standing beside Driftingstar. Partially because Oakpaw could do it so casually, comfortable and familiar with Driftingstar's presence since he had been with the tom for moons as his apprentice. He didn't hold his mentor at a length now, because of his new title. Some of Oakpaw's Clanmates tended to, and it was odd. Driftingstar wasn't much different than when he had been Driftingheart, but Oakpaw digressed. It was also odd, because Oakpaw had grown throughout his apprenticeship, and now stood almost as tall as his mentor did. The apprentice hadn't really noticed his own growth until he stood beside his mentor.

Shaking the thoughts from his head, Oakpaw beamed at Driftingstar, still needing to look up just slightly at his mentor to do so. "So, what's on the schedule for today?"

speaking thoughts

darkclan ✦ apprentice ✦ 12 moons ✦ tom ✦ dayspring x ridgelily

penned by hanakosong - TAGS

Driftingstar hadn't noticed how big Oakpaw had gotten either until just now, when the younger tom stood at his shoulder. He beamed down at him, glad to hear him so happy. "The schedule for today is a bit of a check-up on what you've learned so far. Then I want to make sure you can balance on the rocks, like we're doing now. And if we have time, perhaps end with a spar?" Oakpaw had had quite a time apart from him, and he wanted to make sure his apprentice still had all the skills and tricks he needed. A good hunting crouch, a proper attacking stance, good balance and stamina... everything a warrior needed. Driftingstar had no worries that Oakpaw would excel today.

Gracefully, Driftingstar slid down the edge of the rocks they were on and landed lightly on the ground. A few wet leaves smushed under his weight. "So, first, show me your hunting crouch and your stalk." He'd find something for Oakpaw to catch as well.

WHATEVER TOMORROW BRINGS

I HOPE IT BRINGS YOU JOY

• ・゚ ✦ ° why do love and hate sound just the same to me - Bracing himself, Oakpaw slid down the side of the rock after Driftingstar, eyes bright with eagerness, and landed beside his mentor with ease. Taking a few steps away from the base of the rock to give himself some more room, Oakpaw eased into a hunter's crouch, holding his belly away from the foliage and the ground, tail hovering slightly over the ground. He had been on several hunting patrols during Driftingstar's transition of power, trying to make sure he kept his skills honed, and now the crouch was familiar and ingrained. He stalked forward a little bit, not tracking anything, but just showing his mentor that he could move relatively silent.

Glancing up at Driftingstar, Oakpaw pounced towards his mentor, landing in front of the older tom and wiggling his haunches playfully. He knew that this was a serious test, but he couldn't resist teasing his mentor just a little. Driftingstar was usually very calm and understanding, so Oakpaw felt content and at ease in his mentor's presence.

speaking thoughts

Driftingstar purred lightly as he watched Oakpaw crouch and stalk, silent as the clouds floating above. His steps were light, body low, eyes focused. Everything a good hunter needed to have. Then, suddenly, the smaller tom leaped towards him with a smile. Driftingstar hid a small gasp of surprise, not expecting the tease from Oakpaw. He smiled anyways, though, letting a small laugh escape. "Hey, I'm not prey," He told him, amusement flooding his tone, "But that was excellent. Good job keeping up with that. All the prey in the woods should fear you. Care to show me a defensive and then an offensive stance?"

WHATEVER TOMORROW BRINGS

I HOPE IT BRINGS YOU JOY

• ・゚ ✦ ° why do love and hate sound just the same to me - Purring happily at the praise his mentor so easily offered, Oakpaw's tail flicked back and forth happily a few times before he was given his next set of instructions. Pacing away from Driftingstar so that he had room to move again, Oakpaw turned to face his mentor again and slid easily into a defensive stance, holding the position for a few heartbeats so that his mentor could easily assess him and his form. The blue tom was a little hesitant and clumsy getting into his offensive stance, but it was only a minor hiccup before he was settled, gold eyes fierce as he glared at the boulder beside Driftingstar. Oakpaw didn't like offensive battle moves as much because he really wasn't one for fighting, but knowing it was necessary left him only slightly hesitant and clumsy, learning despite his misgivings and perfecting the techniques to the best of his ability.

speaking thoughts

Driftingstar nodded and purred as Oakpaw's defensive was perfect. He was always a good defender. But when it came to offensiveness, the tom was a little more hesitant and clumsy. Driftingstar had known several apprentices in his time that were the more peaceful type; they didn't want to have to fight. Unfortunately, fighting was a way of life in the Clans though. Even if you didn't want to, there was a strong chance you were going to have to. Driftingstar had never had a problem with it, but he understood Oakpaw's hesitance with it all. "Try focusing on the center of yourself for that last one. Move your back leg out a little more so you're balanced. There's no easier tactic than knocking your opponent off-guard, especially if they're still inexperienced." His words were firm but helpful. The last thing he wanted was a dead Oakpaw.

"Now, let's get back on these rocks. This is probably our greatest territory advantage over the other Clans. They have no idea what to do around slippery, sharp rocks," Driftingstar explained, turning to jump up onto the nearest one with ease, "So up here, if they could get this high, is a serious disadvantage on their part. Let's see how well you can balance up here. I'll throw a few easy swipes at you and you swipe back. No claws for now."

WHATEVER TOMORROW BRINGS

I HOPE IT BRINGS YOU JOY

• ・゚ ✦ ° why do love and hate sound just the same to me - Making the adjustment that his mentor suggested, Oakpaw held the position only a moment longer before easing into a more neutral stance. Nodding, the blue rosette followed Driftingstar easily up on top of some nearby boulders. The wind curled lazily through his fur and Oakpaw took a brief moment to bask in the feeling. Gold eyes shifted towards his mentor at Driftingstar's words, and Oakpaw was focused again. He nodded in confirmation and prepared himself against his mentor's coming attack. Oakpaw and the other apprentices practiced like this for fun sometimes, closer to camp, so he hoped it paid off and he could keep his balance relatively well.

speaking thoughts

Giving an affirmative smile, Driftingstar leaned back into his own offensive stance and took a moment to feel his way on the rock. It was dry today, thankfully, but the breeze buffeted his fur lightly. That could be a challenge. Dropping the smile, the blue tabby darted forwards, aiming to swipe at the side of Oakpaw's head in a hard cuff. Whether or not that worked, he would go again, this time to sweep the apprentice's paws out from under him. His movements were fast, but not impossible to dodge.

WHATEVER TOMORROW BRINGS

I HOPE IT BRINGS YOU JOY

• ・゚ ✦ ° why do love and hate sound just the same to me - Dodging Driftingstar's first attack, Oakpaw leapt sideways, knowing there was more width to this rock than depth, and avoided falling off the structure. He was about to strike out when suddenly his mentor had swept his paws out from under him. Hitting the rock with a soft wheeze, the blue rosette rolled sideways out of Driftingstar's reach and sprung back to his paws. Taking a moment to prepare himself, Oakpaw darted forward towards Driftingstar, paws thankfully steady on the uneven surface, and would attempt to swipe sheathed claws at Driftingstar's shoulder, trying to knock the older tom off balance.

speaking thoughts