Sometimes failure is a good thing | private

Check out this announcement about new leadership limits in Agrelos
  • Nodding vigorously, he scrambled to his feet, bow in hand. At some point during the night he had pulled his ponytail free so he could comb his fingers through his hair, trying to use the rain to rid himself of mud, which made stuffing it back into his hood messier than he was used to. Suddenly, Riaan paused, hands still touching the enchanted fabric. "Should I get new armour? Or d'you want people thinking you're hiring an assassin?" He asked reluctantly, aware that it needed to be said but unwilling to let go of such a wonderful set of light armour.

Riaan doubted he would ever wear light armour as fine as the Dark Brotherhood's uniform again. Besides, as frightening as his family was, the Sanctuary had began to feel like home. Wearing new armour would make it all the more real that he was a traitor, unfit to serve Sithis.

it'd be funny if it became like,,,, an inside joke that Ri almost assassinated him,,,,

• dragonborn_knotwork.png

dovahkiinbyzencropped.pngFolkvar Fenrik | Male | Nord | Last Dragonborn | Skyrim

Folkvar stood, stamping out the remains of the fire before looking at Riaan. He hummed in thought, contemplating their options. He didn't want it to look like he was affiliated with the Dark Brotherhood. But it was also a shame to let such good armor go.

"I could make you some dragonscale armor. We could disenchant that set and use it to enchant the new one." He offered. "Either way, there's not much we can do about it while we're out in the wilderness. We'll deal with it when we get into town."

With that, he set off, getting back onto the path and heading towards Windhelm.

dragonborn_knotwork.png

Yes! I love that idea haha!

5MZD.gif

Dovahkiin, Dovahkiin
    naal ok zin los vahriin
    wah dein vokul mahfaeraak ahst vaal!
    Ahrk fin norok paal graan
    fod nust hon zindro zaan
    Dovahkiin, fah hin kogaan mu draal!

Dragonborn, Dragonborn, by his honor is sworn,
    To keep evil forever at bay!
    And the fiercest foes rout when they hear triumph's shout,
    Dragonborn, for your blessing we pray!

• "Sounds heavy," he said doubtfully, although the idea of something being made for him was rather pleasant.

As the youngest of six with plenty of older cousins, Riaan hadn't owned anything new until he was old enough to earn it himself. His eldest cousins were the receivers of new items, passing down what they no longer needed to their siblings and eventually his siblings. If his oldest brother required something his cousins still needed, he got it new, but no-one else did. He was the only one of them allowed to have a favourite colour, a favourite weapon, a favourite anything. Even if dragon scales were heavier than he was accustomed to, Riaan suspected he would be thrilled regardless. "Where are we headed?"

Riaan wasn't sure he wanted to know, but once he had caught up to Folkvar, the words spilled out. A dragon was a dragon, no matter the name nords gave its home.

just a casual,,, "hey remember that time i almost shot an arrow through your eye? fun times",,,,,,,

dovahkiinbyzencropped.pngFolkvar Fenrik | Male | Nord | Last Dragonborn | Skyrim

Folkvar kept walking, casting a glance over at Riaan. "We're going to Windhelm. We can rest up there, and I can make you that armor with the forge there. Then we'll go to Bonestrewn Crest where the dragon's made its home." He answered, his place brisk. Staying in one place too long was dangerous when it wasn't a city with guards and walls to defend it.

"And dragon scales are surprisingly light when made into armor. It dragon bone that gets heavy. I have plenty from all the dragons I've killed. It feels like a waste selling them since only a few can craft with them, so I've ended up just hoarding all of them."

dragonborn_knotwork.png

Lol yeah. "Yeah. I only survived because I just happened to move. Lucky me, huh?"

5MZD.gif

Dovahkiin, Dovahkiin
    naal ok zin los vahriin
    fod nust hon zindro zaan

The post was edited 1 time, last by DovahBeat ().

• Windhelm. Riaan sucked in a deep breath sharply, wondering if he ought to let Folkvar know about the rumours of a boy in Windhelm carrying out the Black Sacrament. Without a Listener, the Dark Brotherhood relied on word of mouth to find contracts, and this one was picking up speed, spreading from inn to inn. For now, it was being pushed to the side, since a child couldn't offer much coin. If he was lucky, the boy wouldn't notice Riaan's appearance in Windhelm, but if he knew anything about rumours, it was that they spread fast. "I can't go into Windhelm looking like this," he admitted, a tad breathless from keeping pace with Folkvar. "A boy there has been performing the Black Sacrament. He'll try to pay me to assassinate someone. I'm not stealing from a child."

It was strange, walking so quickly without being on the hunt for someone.

"if you were lucky you wouldn't set yourself on fire with a simple destruction spell"

"Hmm. That is an issue." Folkvar paused, fishing through his pack for something. Eventually he found it, the set of party clothes he got when he had to infiltrate the Thalmor Embassy. He'd look a little out of place, but it would do until he could craft him the new set of armor.

"When we get there you can put this on." He handed Riaan the clothes, then continued on his brisk pace towards Windhelm. At this rate they'd get there by late afternoon.

dragonborn_knotwork.png

"I wouldn't have had to try using magic if you hadn't tried to shoot me. I almost had a fire going before that."

5MZD.gif

Dovahkiin, Dovahkiin
    naal ok zin los vahriin
    fod nust hon zindro zaan

• With the issue solved, conversation lulled, growing quiet once more. As boring as it was, traversing seemingly endless snow coated roads, he was thankful for how uneventful it was. He was out of his element; Riaan took on enemies from a distance with his bow, crouched in the undergrowth, not up close, standing.

Muscles burning, his legs might as well have wept from relief when Windhelm's walls drew close. Almost there. Almost time to stop. Almost - a more distant almost, but an almost all the same - time to tackle the dragon problem. Riaan looked forward to it about as much as he looked forward to meeting Sithis. "Do you do things that aren't dragon hunting?" He wondered, although he suspected he wouldn't like the answer.

All forms of danger were unwelcome.

im super sleepy so this might be crap im sorry,,, nin night!

As Windhelm drew closer and Riaan started up conversation once more, Folkvar shrugged, adjusting the pack on his shoulders.

"Aye, I do other things, too. I take out bandit camps, hunt people down for bounties, odd jobs here and there that need to be done for people. Whatever pays in gold, mostly." He answered.

As they got to the stables outside the city, he stopped, turning to Riaan.

"You may want to change now, if you don't want to be seen in that armor."

dragonborn_knotwork.png

Sorry for not being on much today. Not feeling well >.<

5MZD.gif

Dovahkiin, Dovahkiin
    naal ok zin los vahriin
    fod nust hon zindro zaan

• "That's..."

It wasn't good, per se, but preferable to battling giant, fire breathing lizards that would enjoy him as a late afternoon snack. "I'll have an order of bandits, minus the monstrous lizards that wish to devour me." Riaan said, looking around for somewhere to get changed.

Pulling his hood off was easy, since he could pretend he was just going to comb his fingers through his hair again. Pulling off his armour's main component, however, made his hands tremble. Folkvar's party clothes didn't fit right - of course they didn't; he was lithe and bony, which Folkvar clearly wasn't - but not just in the physical sense. There was an unspeakable feeling of wrongness to it, as in his skin had peeled back to reveal the raw, tender flesh below. "Thank Sithis I can keep my gloves and boots on," sighed Riaan, turning the rest of his armour over in his hands mournfully.

After stowing it away with great reluctance, he rejoined Folkvar, his thin face set in a scowl. "This isn't your fault," he acknowledged, "But I want you to know my death draws near. Please, bury me in my shrouded armour. It may just be enough to save my soul."

it's okie. i hope you're feeling better now <3

Folkvar raised an eyebrow at Riaan. "You're not going to die anytime soon. Not if I can help it." He answered back before turning to enter Windhelm. He didn't mention how odd he looked wearing those clothes. He didn't need to make him any more uncomfortable than he already looked.

When they entered the city, Folkvar led them to the inn and rented them a room each. There was still a bit of daylight left, so Folkvar turned towards Riaan. "You can stay here if you like. Or you can come with me, either is fine. I'm going down to the forge to make you that armor."

dragonborn_knotwork.png

I am now. ^^ thanks!

Also sorry if my posts are kinda short. I've been on mobile lately bc my laptop has been super glitchy. I'm getting a new one soon tho!

5MZD.gif

Dovahkiin, Dovahkiin
    naal ok zin los vahriin
    fod nust hon zindro zaan

• This time yesterday, he followed the trail of the Dragonborn, intending to make him breathe his last. He agonised over which arrow to use and which poison to coat it in. His would be target, the man whose life he was paid to take, was essentially promising to protect him, was paying for him to sleep, was going to craft him armour. Why? Surely, Riaan's skills as a healer weren't that valuable. "I'm sticking with you," he said slowly, voice heavy with confusion, "Windhelm is not a place where elves are welcome, Folkvar."

Admittedly, it was the dunmer that nords hated the most, but all elves were distrusted, treated with disdain, as if they all secretly supported the Thalmor. Riaan would face his death with courage before he supported the Thalmor. A wood elf he may be, but a naive savage he wasn't. Perhaps one day, the high elves would learn to stop painting everyone with one brush. Until that day came, Riaan would support the nords and their strange obsession with Tiber Septim first.

ahhh that sucks >.> i hate typing on mobile! i wouldn't have guessed you were on mobile, cause your posts are great even if they're a little short. quality over quantity, y'know?

i want you to know Folk inspired me to start a new Skyrim character,,,,,, i've never completed the main quest,, i can do it for Folk-

"I know how Elves are treated here, Riaan. But it doesn't mean you don't have a choice on what you want to do." Folkvar replied before turning and heading towards the local forge. He asked the man it belonged to if he could use it, then proceeded to begin crafting Dragonscale armor for Riaan. He occasionally would make him come over while he worked for exact measurements, He was going to make it adjustable but also wanted it to fit perfectly. Good fitting armor was important, could mean life or death.

He was getting strange looks once people realized he was making the armor for an Elf, but they kept their mouths shut since most of them seemed to recognize Folkvar as the Dragonborn, or perhaps one of Ulfric's most favored Stormcloak, or both. He was the man responsible for the Civil War turning out the way it did. It didn't matter to Folkvar, he ignored them. He was used to getting looks by now, and hearing the same songs sung about him and in honor of him. It was annoying, and tiring, yes, but he didn't want to ruin anyone's hopes about him. They made him out to be a godsend, which he kind of was, but he was still mortal, still human. He wasn't perfect.

dragonborn_knotwork.png

So super sorry for not replying sooner! Yesterday was my sister's birthday I forgot to mention so I was spending time with her most the day, and couldn't post. Good news is I got my new laptop and can write longer posts again! yay!

5MZD.gif

Dovahkiin, Dovahkiin
    naal ok zin los vahriin
    fod nust hon zindro zaan

• No, there really was no choice. To these people, Folkvar was a living legend, a godly champion. By keeping close to Folkvar, Riaan wasn't just an elf. He was an elf the Dragonborn was choosing to associate with; while the only good elf was a dead elf in their eyes, the Dragonborn willingly spending time in his presence at least shut them up. Riaan was safe. Bored, too warm, but safe.

"Doesn't all this heat dry your skin out?" He grumbled, glaring at the forge as if it had committed a personal offence against him. "I can feel my skin shriveling up. How do you do this? All the time? And - and why? Sithis, it's hot!"

Earlier, the warmth had been a welcome refuge from Windhelm's inhospitable chill, but Riaan was feeling rather like he had overstayed his welcome. The ice in his veins had thawed and now, it approached boiling point. He was beginning to think a healing spell might actually be needed. "Aren't nords designed for the cold? Those coals are so hot they glow! Do you not feel a little... cooked?"

i hope you had fun!! congrats on the new laptop :D

this post is literally just Ri complaining,,,,,

"The forge needs to be that hot in order to melt metal. If it weren't that hot there would be no way to make anything with metal." Folkvar responded, continuing to work on the armor.

"Besides, you get used to it after a while." Said the man who was currently sweating. He didn't seem to mind, however.

He eventually finished the set of Dragonscale armor for Riaan, wiping sweat from his brow before handing it to the Elf.

"There. Now you have a good set of armor. I suggest getting it enchanted. I can help with that, too, if you like. I know how it is for you here."

The sun was starting to go down, but if they hurried they could probably get the armor enchanted before it fully set. Then they could go back to the inn and rest before hunting down that dragon tomorrow.

dragonborn_knotwork.png

Haha, that's okay. And thanks!

5MZD.gif

Dovahkiin, Dovahkiin
    naal ok zin los vahriin
    fod nust hon zindro zaan

• Okay, Folkvar had a point about melting metal, but was that really so necessary? The heat was stifling! He took the armour, weighing it up in his hands. "It's... lighter than I expected," he admitted, voice reflecting his surprise.

There was no denying that the dragonscale armour was heavier than Riaan was accustomed to by quite a bit, but it had been made for him, with his measurements in mind. "I don't know any enchantments," he admitted further, speaking softly from the embarrassment of ignorance.

He wanted to keep almost all of his shrouded armour's enchantments; all except the backstabbing one. He didn't do close quarter fighting. Ever.

does Folkvar realise he's not a normal person and that most people don't have maxed out skills unless they're old-

"I'm sure we can find someone who knows a good few. If not, we can make a detour to the College of Winterhold and pay them to do it." Folkvar shrugged. He didn't know many enchantments himself, but what he did know didn't exactly help with sneaking and being stealthy.

But for now, the sun was setting. They'd have to track someone who knew enchantments down in the morning, or wait until after the slaying of the dragon.

"Come on, I'm tired. Let's get back to the inn." He led them back, handing Riaan the key to his room before heading towards his own to sleep. It was important he was well rested, if you were tired you got sloppy, and sloppiness could get you killed.

dragonborn_knotwork.png

Lol, sometimes. He knows that most people don't know everything, but he doesn't know Riaan's full skill set yet.

5MZD.gif

Dovahkiin, Dovahkiin
    naal ok zin los vahriin
    fod nust hon zindro zaan