Traditional Naming Guide

Let's Share! has (finally) launched! Our first article is a World of Tanks Guide by Enderclaw!
  • TRADITIONAL NAMING GUIDE

Your one-stop guide to naming your Traditional Board characters!

What is this thread for?

This thread is to aid in the naming of all traditional roleplay characters, so that naming can be a fun and easy part of creating a new character to roleplay! Mainly, this thread will focus on naming based on pelt color, then personality, as they did in the 'Warriors' books.

What is Traditional?

Unlike Agrelos (the main game of Feralfront), our traditional board is set in the Warriors official universe. Only things that can happen in the books can happen here, including belief in StarClan/Dark Forest, using traditional naming themes, and more! You can find the guide to the traditional game here. (guide to be made)

Why can't I have a character named Spoonshine?

The traditional game is solely for roleplayers who wish to follow the Warriors books by Erin Hunter. If you wish to have a more creative name, want to give your character powers, etc., then you may find the extended game of Agrelos more to your liking. So, yes, you can have a character named Spoonshine - just not in traditional!

Have another FAQ not addressed? PM this account to have it added! (Or you can request a private answer!)

Within this Thread:

Getting Started > A proper guide of how to name your traditional character.

Ceremonies > A reference guide on which ceremonies are for which situation, as well as how to perform them.

Name Suggestions > Suggestions from other roleplayers on names, and links to websites that have their own naming guides for your reference and usage.

GETTING STARTED

In the traditional game, you will find that all prefixes are chosen based upon your cat's birth appearance. Note that cats do not open their eyes until 10 days old, so a cat cannot be named based on their eye color (unless rename, which will be addressed later). For example, a brown tabby cat cannot be named based on their yellow eyes. Instead, they would be named something along the lines of Adderkit (for their tabby stripes) or Twigkit (for brown coloration). Another example if you had a solid black cat, they could be named Coalkit or Ebonykit for their color, but would not be named Yellowkit for their eyes because they would have been born with their eyes closed.

You won't find that they're always based on color, however. Cats with disabilities might also be named Crookedkit or Tatteredkit based upon malformations. This depends on the parent and how obvious the deformity is. In a different scenario, a kit might be named after a close relative or friend. If a cat had a best friend named Stormpool who passed away, they might name their kit Stormkit, even though they have no gray coloration, and thus reason for the name.

Moving on to suffixes, your options become much more vast. Suffixes are chosen based upon personality or appearance or both. A cat with the -frost suffix might be cold and calculating, but also have white on their pelt. Another may be carefree and dreamy with the suffix -cloud, but not have any white at all. A third may have the suffix -shade for a dark patch of fur, despite being outgoing instead of withdrawn as the name suggests. This all depends on your character and how you wish to describe them. For speed, you may wish to go with -wind, -breeze, or -wing as a suffix. If your cat has a notable appearance, -whisker, -nose, -stripe, and -spots are popular suffixes. Fighting skill could be indicated with -blaze, -fang, or -claw endings. Many others, too, exist which will be listed further in this thread.

Finally, when your cat gets older, their name may no longer fit them. This occurs often with elders who have lost vision, hearing, or limbs. It even applies to warriors who might have received multiple scars in battle. When it's time to change a cat's name, anything applies, including eye color. Typically, a name change signifies something significant, for example a blind cat being renamed Cloudywater or a heavily scarred cat renamed Heavyscar. However, they can also be name changes based on personality changes, like a kind cat wishing their name to be changed to Brightwing.

WHAT NOT TO DO!

Cats in the traditional game do not know any human terms, slang, or items. Therefore, they wouldn't be able to be named Pillowheart or Baboonface, due to not knowing what either of those are. Please keep in mind that if a traditional cat would not know what something is (crown, meteor, etc.) then they cannot have that in their name. (Additionally: A kit would not be named Starkit because if they moved to leader, they would be known as Starstar.)

CEREMONIES

There are a large number of different ceremonies that will take place within a clan. Not all are performed by the leader, even. While a clan leader (the cat with the suffix -star) holds most ceremonies, only a medicine cat may name their apprentice under StarClan with their full name. Some ceremonies performed by a leader will include apprentice ceremonies, warrior ceremonies, retirement to elder, and name change ceremonies. To add on, when a deputy passes, the leader will hold a ceremony to name a new one in their place. (all ceremony credit to the Warriors Wiki)

Apprentice Ceremony:

Leader: (Kit), you have reached the age of six moons, and it is time for you to be apprenticed. From this day on, until you receive your warrior name, you will be known as (new name, ending with "paw"). Your mentor will be (name of warrior). I hope (name of warrior) will pass down all he/she knows on to you.

(Leader calls up the chosen mentor)

Leader: (Warrior), you are ready to take on an apprentice. You have received excellent training from (former mentor), and you have shown yourself to be (quality) and (quality). You will be the mentor of (apprentice), and I expect you to pass on all you know to (apprentice)
    (The mentor and apprentice touch noses and the clan calls out their names)

Warrior Ceremony:

Leader: I, (Leader), leader of (Clan), call upon my warrior ancestors to look down on this apprentice. (He/she) has trained hard to understand the ways of your noble code, and I commend (him/her) to you as a warrior in (his/her) turn.

Leader: (Apprentice), do you promise to uphold the warrior code and to protect and defend your Clan, even at the cost of your life?

Apprentice: I do.

Leader: Then by the powers of StarClan, I give you your warrior name. (Apprentice), from this moment on you will be known as (new warrior name). StarClan honors your (virtues), and we welcome you as a full warrior of (Clan)

(Leader rests his/her head on new warrior's forehead. Following ceremony, new warrior must hold a silent vigil through the night)

Retiring to Elder Status:

Leader: (Warrior), is it your wish to give up the name of a warrior and go to join the elders?

Warrior: It is.

Leader: Your Clan honors you and all the service you have given to us. I call upon StarClan to give you many moons of rest.

(Note: This is only used for warriors retiring of old age. If they are forced to retire early due to injury or illness, there is no ceremony.)

Changing One's Name:

Leader: "Spirits of StarClan, you know every cat by name. I ask you now to take away the name from the cat you see before you, for it no longer stands for what he/she is. By my authority as Clan leader, and with the approval of our warrior ancestors, I give this cat a new name. From this moment on he/she will be known as (new name), for (description of the reason)."

Medicine Cat Ceremony: (must take place at the Moonstone before sharing tongues with StarClan)

Medicine cat: (Apprentice), is it your wish to enter the mysteries of StarClan as a medicine cat?

Apprentice: It is.

Medicine cat: Then come forward.

Medicine cat: Warriors of StarClan, I present you with this apprentice. (He/she) has chosen the path of a medicine cat. Grant (him/her) your wisdom and insight so that (he/she) may understand your ways and heal (his/her) Clan in accordance with your will.

NAME SUGGESTIONS

Now that everything has been explained, you might be thinking to yourself: "Wow! There are a lot of naming options... how am I going to choose?" And that's where this section comes in handy! Members of FeralFront, as well as people outside our website, have created extremely helpful lists of names, as well as attributes that might lead to the names being given. They are for your use as a creative roleplayer, so please take full advantage of these links.

Stash Name List [credit to Pair-of-Dyces]

(to have a credible list added, please PM this account)

That's all, folks! You're officially ready to get out there with your newly-created kitty and tackle the great, big world of traditional roleplaying. Have fun! :)

Amy & She/Her & 21 & Cat Mom & Moderator & Roleplays Cowspots & Join Traditional WindClan!

"I don't know where 'over there' is, but I know it's somewhere, and I hope it's beautiful." John Green, Looking For Alaska