a few genetics questions

Let's Share! has (finally) launched! Our first article is a World of Tanks Guide by Enderclaw!
Check out this announcement about a new Power Reset item being added to the Inventory Store!
  • 1. how do you get a female red tabby? do the mother and father both have to be red?

2. do you have to have the parents either both displaying color point or both carrying color point for the kits to be colorpoint? say, can a lynx point and a tortoiseshell have red point kittens?

3. how do you get white kittens? i know it's a masked color, but i don't understand why it happens or what the parents have to have for it to happen

agrelos

deutschland, medic of the thunderlands

traditional

skypaw of thunderclan

bettapaw of riverclan

olivekit of windclan

my discord is Felibri#1859

• 1. The father has to be a red-based color (red tabby, cream tabby, red point, etc.). The mother can either be red-based, or some form of tortie.

2. You can get point kits if a) both parents are point (in this case ALL the kits will be point), OR b) one parent is point and the other carries point (kits have 50% chance to be point), OR c) both parents carry point (kits have 25% chance to be point).

A seal lynx point tom and a tortie molly could have point kittens IF the female carries point. (Only the male kittens would have the chance to be red point, since the father isn't red-based so the female kittens couldn't be red-based.)

3. White is dominant, meaning that any white cat has at least one white parent.

(White cats have a "genetic color" that is masked by white - that is, the color they would be if they weren't white, as determined by the rest of their color genes. You can decide what this is for your characters, since there's no way to tell from looking.)

White is caused by a mutation that reduces the number of cells that produce melanin and prevents them from moving into the skin/hair follicles during fetal development. This mutation can also reduce melanin in the eyes (producing blue eyes) and cause deafness in blue-eyed white cats.

Want your characters' kids to have realistic fur colors? Check out the Genetics Center!
    Cats, lions, dogs, horses, rats, parrots - whatever the species is, there's probably a geneticist who can do the litter. We can also do genetics for realistic hybrid litters (check the list of realistic pairings linked in the sticky at the top of the board).
    If you want more options for a litter, just let us know!

• thanks so much patchtail

im so obsessed with making my characters genetically correct and this helped a lot!

agrelos

deutschland, medic of the thunderlands

traditional

skypaw of thunderclan

bettapaw of riverclan

olivekit of windclan

my discord is Felibri#1859

• any time! :D

Want your characters' kids to have realistic fur colors? Check out the Genetics Center!
    Cats, lions, dogs, horses, rats, parrots - whatever the species is, there's probably a geneticist who can do the litter. We can also do genetics for realistic hybrid litters (check the list of realistic pairings linked in the sticky at the top of the board).
    If you want more options for a litter, just let us know!