touchdown / pirate

The winners for the July Spotlight Contest are as follows: Writing goes to Mink! and Art goes to Baelfire!

The next Spotlight Contest can be found HERE!
The winner of the latest giveaway is: Juxtapose! Congratulations to them!

The next giveaway is for Ark: Survival Evolved! Check here for more info!
  • an eye for an eye —

when garrus had heard about his reincarnated mother, he believed that if he came here he would have some closure. if it turned out to be fake, then he would be content. he would come here an orphan and he would leave an orphan. big deal. he would have returned to the ones who were there for him, the loners, and there he would remain. but it wasn't fake. and even though he came an orphan, he wasn't one anymore. all that pain, the rage he had felt at having no one. not even his siblings. those couple of months had shaped his personality and made him who he was today. he might have lost his father - the irony being when they weren't on the best of terms - but now he had a mother again. and new siblings. and he had the siblings who were there from the start back.

the kitten licked a paw and drew it over his ears. he was still bitter about the whole situation, sure, however the time lost was too much already to dwell on history now. he was trying to push those angry feelings down. suppress them as much as possible. he didn't know how long it would be until they would reappear. sighing, he stopped cleaning himself and stretched his limbs, which were still sore from the cold conditions he faced from the last night of his journey here - and probably from overuse due to the days travelling beforehand. it was dead at night now. garrus loved it when it was this late. he hadn't done it since arriving, but before he came to the sanguine ruins, he would spend ages staring up at the stars. he always felt at one with the stars. if he was asked what he would do if he could do anything that very second, he would say stargaze. words couldn't do his love for it justice. a pang of sadness hit him, but he shook it off.

sky blue orbs narrowed slightly, yet he wasn't tired. he had slept already. since forever, he only ever needed a few hours of sleep to feel rested. sometimes he needed more. sometimes a nap at night would be sufficient. he didn't know why he was such a night owl and why his body seemed to wade off sleep. it wasn't like he had nightmares. well... he did on occasion. only the past two months since his father's death did he experience nightmares. for the first week or two, which included the last three nights he ever spent at his birth clan, he would wake up screaming; a deep keen remaining for ages. but when he had them now, probably once or twice a week, he would feel grief of course, but they didn't bother him much anymore. he blinked and came out of his thoughts again.

garrus smiled a sad smile. and after that, he slid down onto his stomach before flipping himself over onto his back and stayed there.

( Pirate.` )

— a life for a life

• Piratepaw was no better.

While he had never been particularly close to Mischief, that did not keep the tom from missing him from time to time, though part of him wanted to - and did - believe he could be alive, just as Always Dead was. Luckily enough, his father didn't haunt his sleep. Maybe then he'd wake up crying more often. And while he certainly had never awoke screaming, he did recall a recent night that he had literally jumped out of his bed, only to knock his jaw up against the floor.

He recalled the incident with bitter annoyance. The same dream from before, he thought, looking over to his tail -- almost as if to make sure the rest was still there. His dreams ... well, nightmares; they were of different things. The beast, the ocean, Mingan. They were the memorable and traumatic things that still stuck with him. He only hoped he wouldn't get more in the future.

He couldn't remember too well, but Piratepaw guessed that even as a child he was like this. It would give another reason for his frequent wandering.

Stuck without the ease of sleeping (nor did he want to after the last one), he trudged to the outside of his room grumpily. The last time he had a good night's sleep was, ironically, after the puppy incident with Billie. Damn, if only he could get his hands on more of whatever she had given him then! But that was a thought for later, as the scent of Garrus drew him near.

It was dark, so he couldn't see extremely well, but quietly he mewed, "Hey, Garrus, you ol' bloke. You up?"

don't bite the hand that feeds you

( Piratepaw ✧ SR/DD ✧ Half a tail ✧ British accent ✧ 7 moons ✧ Apprentice/Second Tier ✧ Son of Always Dead ✧ Mentor: Petra & Michael )

* Currently dons a bloody, beige cloak with a hood over himself.

Song - Plot with Piratepaw? - Assassination/Kidnapping Services ---✧

• an eye for an eye —

it was far too dangerous for an individual like himself to be trapped in his thoughts. it was almost a recipe for disaster really. when you have a naturally impatient, determined and snarky guy and add the - to be rather frank - emotional trauma he experienced to the mix, you're going to get a nurtured impetuous, 'me against the world' individual. that was that. that was the tea. so when he experienced his day to day life, he would try and block the nurtured hotheadedness to some degree - which, when he was going to reflect, was going to be more extreme.

therefore he was thankful for the distraction.

"no." garrus deadpanned, extremely thankful that the dark lighting hid the clear amusement on his face at the nickname. he chose not to exchange anything else until he rolled back over on his stomach and rose to his paws. "i just like sleeping with my eyes open and my stomach exposed to the whole world - giving no fucks." he paused, unable to stop himself from rumbling lightly thanks to poorly restrained amusement. "call me ol' bloke again and me and you are going to have problems. anyway, if i am even older than you, it's by a few minutes. what am i going to have to start calling you, 'kid' or something?"

the brown and white kitten nearly, nearly, stopped himself from bursting out into laughter. so when he did, he quickly began to cough to stop the natural response. blue eyes flickered over to he sensed piratepaw to be, yet he wouldn't inquire the same question back. he knew how sensitive the topic of sleep could be. if his brother wanted to indulge him in why he was up, he wouldn't challenge it. but he wasn't going to outright ask him.

— a life for a life

• Piratepaw smirked. There was something about Garrus that kept Piratepaw clinging to him. It didn't make sense. Piratepaw had never been extremely close to him; he wasn't exactly welcoming; he was just, well, pleasant enough to be around. He supposed in the Ruins, being "pleasant enough" was friendly. Alfio, Yuu, Elian, even Petra; none offered the same humor or enjoyment in his life except Garrus. And while he was just as rough as the other three, there was something ... Billie-ish about him. He just couldn't tell what yet.

Those were fleeting thoughts. Piratepaw flicked his tail and laughed a bit, his laughter quick and high-pitched, like a hyena; well, maybe a dolphin was a better comparison. Garrus's "problems" comment only reminded him of the joke his mother had made at Garrus's initiation, and he flicked an ear guiltily. "Yeah, I do the same every night, you ol' bloody ... wanker. And kid would be one of the nicer things I've been called, so sure. Go right ahead. Try not to choke on it also," he ended smartly, making fun of Garrus's little cough. Maybe his brother was sick or something?

"By the way ... why are you up? If you've got a cough, I'm friendly with the healers here, I could probably get you some medicine."

( Piratepaw ✧ SR/DD ✧ Half a tail ✧ British accent ✧ 7 moons ✧ Apprentice/Second Tier ✧ Son of Always Dead ✧ Mentor: Petra & Michael )

• an eye for an eye —

his cough had already ceased to exist by the time the other had finished speaking and his lips twitched upwards at his brother's laugh. it was a complete contrast to his own laugh, which was low and lingered - often sounding more like a long chuckle than anything else. he appreciated having someone who he didn't have to try to amuse. piratepaw seemed to have a sense of humour well equipped for his dry comments. and for that, he couldn't help but like him just a bit more. it was nice having someone he got along with - or well, he believed they got along rather nicely anyway.

"fucker." he rolled his blue orbs dramatically, tone dripping with fake hurt. the accompanying comment caught him off guard and he burst into a characteristic chuckle - the actual important question ignored initially. "damn, i was trying not to give you the satisfaction of making me laugh." the kitten confessed, before tilting his head in a way that suggested he was pondering something. "don't want you believing you can challenge me as the funniest sibling now, do i? it would only end in disappointment for you."

releasing a theatrical sigh and hoping piratepaw wouldn't catch the amused glint in his eyes, he would allow a brief silence to wash over the pair. eventually, after a mere ten seconds - which, granted to garrus, was quite a long time for him to be quiet when he was in a defensive situation that usually had him filling gaps with deflective jokes or comments - he shuffled his paws. "honestly i don't sleep much. my body rejects sleep after a couple of hours rest." he admitted, tail lashing beside him in a subconscious attempt to swat away his unease of revealing such a thing as his own sleep schedule - even to his own brother. "i can sleep when i'm dead." he paused to shrug. "you asked me, i'll ask you. why are you up?"

— a life for a life

• Piratepaw twitched an ear as he replied, "Well, I guess that's as close to 'thank you for making me smile for once' as I'm going to get from you. And whoever said you were funny? I mean, if you want to be, be my guest." Enough people in the Ruins laughed at him, however, so he was sure he had some tough competition. Not that Piratepaw exactly tried to be laughable. It hurt, actually, but he didn't really care.

At Garrus's remark, he wondered what had made him this way. Maybe it was just something everyone in the family had trouble with, but could it have also been everyone's exposure to trauma? That soldier boot camp may have messed him up, after all; or maybe this was about something else. He didn't probe any further, but mostly because Garrus had his own interrogation planned for him. Piratepaw narrowed his eyes a bit, wondering if he should tell his brother despite not knowing him for that long.

"Just can't sleep, I guess. Bad dreams. I'm used to it by now, just like you are." He paused, adding, "It gives me more free time to do better things anyways. We can sleep when we're dead, I guess."

• an eye for an eye —

/sorry for late reply!<3

he didn't usually miss subtle changes in speech and behavior - and this was no exception. he'd cringe slightly at his brother's reply. if he was being honest though, he would have missed it entirely if it wasn't for the rhetorical question that had hung in the air. brushing something off, that was a pure defensive mechanism - even if the other would say and believe they didn't care, it would sting nonetheless. he would know. he did it whenever he wanted to hide something. or well, he would do it alongside a witty or snarky remark - the harshness depending on the situation. but in essence, a defensive stance and a deflective statement suggested the same thing. "relax, it was a joke. and no one said i was funny. i haven't even taken the damn crown from you yet."

the white and brown kitten would relax at piratepaw's honesty. a true chuckle formed from deep in his chest and, this time, he allowed himself to express his amusement at that last sentence. "bad dreams suck. they're a pain in the ass." he hummed in agreement. perhaps his brother would feel comfortable enough to talk about it if he admitted something himself, because once again, he wasn't going to probe. "and i like how you think. more time in the day conscious and able to do stuff."

— a life for a life

• "Psh, don't worry, I was joking too." He supposed it wasn't entirely obvious, and he felt a sting of regret as his attempt at dry humor fell flat for once. Looks like he rolled a big fat zero in charisma. At the crown comment, earlier he would have made a pun, but instead he just laughed, not wanting to make anymore jokes for the moment.

"Yeah, but sometimes I bloody wonder if I'd be a lot happier without them." Being tortured for sleep wasn't exactly his cup of tea. Yeah, he didn't care now, but it just would've been nice. At least he didn't feel too weird for it with Garrus around. "Nice to know I'm not the only one, though. What are yours about? Mine are always about the same damn things, for some reason ..."

• an eye for an eye —

he would hum at that, wordlessly saying 'sure'. he hadn't even realised the crown comment because if he had noticed he would have definitely have made a pun also. so he decided to be quiet in what he hoped was companionable silence until his brother decided to speak again.

garrus could not argue with that wish. yet it made him reflect for a long moment on if he would want them to leave him alone. sure, hypothetically he'd be happy. but his dad never came to his pleasant dreams and even though the nightmares were frustrating to say the least, what was to say he would forget what his father looked like if he never experienced them again? would he just become a name? that fear of forgetting was actually quite strong and he didn't want to let go of his dad. not yet. flicking his ears at what piratepaw added, he'd let out a sigh. "honestly? dad." the kitten made a face at that. he definitely wasn't going to admit to having nightmares about the guy in front of him and his other litter mates though. he wasn't going there. "hmm, i'm the same." he added warily, knowing that it would be quite easy for his brother to add the two together.

— a life for a life

• Dad? Recalling everything that had occurred, he remembered briefly their father, and looked down for a moment, noticing the topic was touchy. He had never been particularly close to either of his parents before, but he supposed that was his own fault. Especially when he had chosen to run off like he did. That in itself caused a solid pang of regret and hurt in his heart, as his father's death wasn't exactly a bright event in his life. He just, had never felt very involved in his family. And it was his fault that he wasn't hurting as much as Garrus was for it. He couldn't tell if that was good or bad, but definitely wasn't going to admit that he hadn't felt as affected by the end of their dad's life.

"Yeah, I don't blame you. Dad was ... a good guy. But for all I know, what could've happened to our mum could've happened to him, too. He might be out there. That's what I hope, anyway." Hoping that wasn't too much to have said on the subject, he continued, "I have nightmares about ... the thing that took my tail ... Mingan, the puppies. The ocean. Sometimes all in one dream. I've jumped out of bed from some of them. They're more annoying than scary, most of the time."

• an eye for an eye —

he did appreciate the reassurance. of course he did. but he didn't hold the same faith. obviously it was a possibility and like piratepaw had said, their mother was proof that it could happen. however when it came to stuff like reincarnation, which challenged his black and white outlook because, well, yes you're alive but you shouldn't be, he tended to ignore most evidence to fit his narrative. he tended to be biased and subjective like that. he was also completely oblivious to the fact that his brother and father never really had a strong relationship. garrus and his dad didn't particularly get on. at all. having said that, the respect he had for him was still unmatched to current day. he didn't even know why himself. he just... respected him. it really wasn't deep. and his theory on why their dad came to his nightmares so frequently was because of the fact that he had been murdered before they had made up after an argument.

he shook himself in an attempt to come back to earth.

he had heard the details of pirate's own nightmares, yet because of his own deep thoughts he had to pause and register them briefly. eyes would flicker down to the tabby's half tail at the mention before quickly moving from it. he had to suppress a thoughtful hum. he had never asked him about it and now he was kind of glad he hadn't, seeing how sensitive it seemed. he managed to not react to the namedrop of minigan, but he couldn't help but cringe at the mention of the ocean though. "that sounds rough." the kitten would admit, hoping his truthfulness wouldn't be offensive. "the annoying ones tend to be, hmm, more annoying than the scary ones for me." damn. who knew how awkward he could get, hey? and he hadn't even started yet. but in all seriousness, garrus typically could sympathize well because under his gruff interior - and a few layers of skin - he did have a kind heart.

— a life for a life

• "I'll say cheers to that," he joked with a smile. While the conversation was difficult enough to hold as it was, Piratepaw couldn't help but pause in thought as he remembered something. "I don't think the ocean is even bloody scary to me, though; in fact, it's not. And I don't always hear it in my dreams. Sometimes I hear it while I'm awake as day, too. Just constant, rushing water, usually when no one's around or I'm thinking too hard. Maybe I just got used to it when I lived with pirates, I have no clue."

• curiosity bubbled inside him, yet he managed to rein it in and he instead allowed his whiskers to twitch in amusement at the joke. he had actually never asked about piratepaw's past, but he did remember something about the ocean playing a huge factor. and honestly, if his memory served him well, then he had to admit that the respect he held for his brother would rise. oceans were a big no-no to him. "it's probably your body remembering the sensation." garrus offered, along with a shrug to show that he absolutely did not have a clue. then his curiosity took the better of him. "are pirates, you know, like what the stories say?" he'd pause, before the rare realisation that what he said could be offending hit him. "i mean, i don't think you are a blood thirsty, yellow toothed guy with the urge to go on long searches for treasure."

• "Sometimes, but ... not exactly. They're really just glorified robbers, really. Just ... preying on the weak and using cheap tactics to get what you want. And you always get what you want because you run if you can't." Was that a bit much? He didn't know, there was a lot of "too much" in the air now, he might as well keep going. "And to be honest, Garrus, I just like getting lost and getting what I want. I feel like I should be more complicated than that, but I bloody guess such a piss-poor explanation is already confusing enough."

And now Garrus was the first to here the defining features of his life: i.e., he was a brat that ran away a lot. He admitted it. That was just who he was and no one had a problem with it before, so why should it matter now? He could do what he wanted, whenever he wanted, and the world they lived in did the same.

An uncaring "that's life" could fit easily into Piratepaw's desolate view on people and the things they did, but didn't let him trust it all the same. Maybe the only reason he had told Garrus was because sleep deprivation had the best of him, or maybe he was being too harsh on himself. Bloody hell if he knew at this point, he was damn tired of not being tired.

• he'd shift uneasily at the explanation. it was what he expected, but hearing the truth made him... uncomfortable. to him, you had to be a certain kind of individual to target those more vulnerable than yourself. so he'd unknowingly rumble lightly in disapproval, but wouldn't voice it.

instead he decided to fix his focus on the second part. however that also would make him frown. yet this time it wasn't out of disapproval, but more like bitterness because of a certain memory. "that why you left before?" he'd question with a tilt of his head. it would take him a second to realize the hypocrisy and he'd snort his slight amusement out loud. "then i guess i must like getting lost and getting what i want also." garrus would then muse. if he remembered correctly, they had either left at the same time or he had even left first.

• He hummed, recalling the night in disapproval. "That time, I did not enjoy getting lost," he admitted. "I think I had wandered off our territory or something, and a storm came. I'd searched for a long time before accepting I'd never get back. Then, one of the pirates found me and took me in as one of their own." He paused, flicking his tail as he remembered the many faces of his crew. What a different time that was, he recalled bitterly. "They weren't bad people. They just had a different view on life than most." Or maybe that had been the phrase he had told himself to make himself feel safe there, what with all the cruelty they expressed not only to others but themselves occasionally. He had seen a few unwilling people walk the plank, but it was never often undeserved.

"So, why did you really leave then?" He looked up, eyes asking more questions than what his words had.

• so their 'disappearances' were quite different after all. garrus had suspected as much. he listened intently thanks to his genuine curiosity, but couldn't find something to say about it once piratepaw had finished his short story. he did seem conflicted, so he decided to do something he rarely did. reassure. "they took you and you must have been weak. they can't truly be bad people." sure, it wasn't the best. however it was as much as he could muster. he was well aware that, if he said much more, he would most possibly say something that made his dislike of such individuals obvious - instead of unknowingly dropping hints.

that question, if it was a shock, would have left him stumbling like a fool. thankfully he already had a planned answer to it. so this time he barely had to pause to think. "i was fed up of the bureaucracy. i didn't belong there. it wasn't a home to me. and not to mention i was in grief - and also very pissed off." he stopped then, mainly to allow what he had said to sink in. "on one day where i was particularly angry, i stormed off and never looked back. didn't take a while until i was found by the commander. the guy was a stranger and i was pissed off, so i ripped into him. every insult you can think of, well, i probably said it. and more. when i say i ripped into him, i mean literally. gave him some small injuries but he didn't give a damn. i amused him more than anything. then when i calmed down, i saw reason in the offer he put on the table and he took me to the base." refusing to look at his brother, garrus instead found interest in poking the ground with one of his paws.

he actually wasn't going to carry on, however he wanted to clear one more thing up before he'd let piratepaw react. "and no, i don't know his name. he never told me. good guy. don't think you would have liked him though."

• Piratepaw considered it for a moment. "I can't say for sure, but I'd be lying if I said I would've liked him to start just because he took you in, especially while you went ballistic on the man. There are definitely worse places either of us could've ended up in." Easily, both of them could have died on their own.

Instead, Garrus and him had stood the test of time until the family reunion. "Honestly, I don't think it was home to me either. I ran off a lot, but at least I spend most of my nights here. I think it's lucky Mum's leading instead of some other nutjob. I can't stand some people, honestly," he admitted, though mostly referring to Yuu and any other assholes like him that lingered in the Ruins.

• for some reason, piratepaw's honesty about his potential feelings to the man that effectively saved him and subsequent comment about there being worse places, caused him to chuckle. "he had the patience of a saint." garrus would pause after saying that to snort. well. that was bullshit. if he bothered to reflect on his own anger, he might come to the conclusion that it was the commander who had shaped it. not by doing anything wrong to him, of course. he had actually unconsciously admired the guy. after all, he was the first adult male he had encountered after their father's death - and that adult had practically saved him from an almost certain death. it would be natural for him to feel some sort of affection for the guy. "agreed. others in our positions then were probably not as lucky." he wanted to add a "that's life" but thought it would be inexcusable. so he managed to stop himself.

"some people here can be, hmm, frustrating." the siamese shrugged. he personally didn't mind yuu. they shared some similarities. but the guy could be irritating.

• Sleep soon found its way to Piratepaw's eyes, causing his eyelids to droop and a yawn to escape his lips as he began to curl up on the floor of his brother's room. Closing his eyes once he just couldn't keep them open, he mumbled a sleepy, "Hm, yeah," in agreement, he would only find himself half-listening to what Garrus said. A pause would occur as the kitten fell silent, and soon the next sound he uttered would be a soft snore as he snoozed off into the comforting embrace of sleep. Not that he had expected to pass out in Garrus's room, sprawled out like a drunk man might be, but that's what a late night conversation could do to even the most sleepless people.

/ should we end it off here or nah? since it seems they're running out of things to talk about now, lol