the spell and the sword [⌜private⌟]

The winner of the latest giveaway is: Shadowstar the leader! Congratulations to them! To the rest of you: please stop letting them win all the games! Just click below to learn how to enter the monthly giveaways!

The next giveaway is for Jurassic World Evolution Deluxe! Check here for more info!
  • Caria Lovell

Meek sunlight filtered through a barred slot at the very top of the high cell wall, the evening sun providing just enough light to make out the contents of the chamber. Thick stone walls rose to meet a slanted ceiling, while a meek scattering of straw was all that covered the rough stone floor. A heavy wooden door was set into the shortest wall of the cell, opposite the window, it's hardwood panels nearly impenetrable. At the base of the door an iron panel was set into the wood, which could be opened from the outside to deliver whatever stale bread and moldy cheese was being served to the prisoners inside. Around eye-level a square hole was cut into the door, blocked by iron bars and covered by a sliding plate that was movable from the other side. Damp moss poked out from the crags in the sides of the cell, and the whole thing smelled vaguely of mildew and sweat.

In one corner of the room a tall figure leaned against the highest wall. The figure's arms were folded across their chest, and they stood in a way that conveyed both discomfort and intense annoyance. The clothes that they wore were of good quality: a dark blue tunic with short sleeves, under which a white undershirt was worn, a dark leather belt, and fine leather boots with silver clasps. All other personal effects belonging to the individual had been confiscated upon their arrest.

"Fantastic," the figure muttered, voice dripping with sarcasm. Caria was in what could be quite accurately described as the worst mood of her life. She was standing in a cold, damp cell, suddenly stripped of everything that mattered to her, with no idea what her future held. Perhaps it would be better if it held nothing at all. What did she have now, anyway? Her knighthood had been her whole life, something bought with her own blood sweat and tears, her legacy. Now she had none if it, all her work gone to dust. She could be free right now, she could be in her chambers preparing for sleep. But she had done the right thing, and in doing so condemned herself to the dungeons of what was once her home.

// aizawa hey! Just so you know my future posts won't be this long, I just wanted to establish setting and all that. By the way I think I'm going to work up a bio for Caria soon, I just wanted to get the thread made first.

• look, it's not that I want to suffer.

i just want to live without doing anything. — hitchcock

"Aww, dammit." He huffs in annoyance when the knight yanks him along roughly, stumbling at the sudden momentum. "Be gentle! It's my first time." Axel grins and ducks a little as the other knight swings at him, feeling the air shift around him, and flexing his bound hands uselessly a little. "Man, this is seriously not fun. These chafe," he complains when the knights give up on smacking him around.

All joking aside, these ropes have clearly been laced with magic dampeners. Axel technically doesn't need his staff to cast magic; it only makes directing and channeling it easier. Of course, he's still mourning the loss of it; it's been with him for a long time, after all. But what he really hates about this entire situation is the rope. It's not like he hasn't been tied up before--and wow, that came out wrong--but the dampeners! They're so annoying! In the face of them, Axel's magic only flickers weakly before dying out, so he soon gives up. It's just going to be a waste of magic.

"Silence," says the knight dragging him along. He actually sounds annoyed. Axel counts it as a win.

"Now you've gone and made me want to keep talking," replies Axel cheerfully, purely out of spite. Their walk comes to a gradual stop, the knight in front of him glaring at him with undiluted hatred and irritation. Ooh, scary. The door opens, and the knight after him shoves him into the cell roughly, nearly sending him sprawling, but despite his chained feet, Axel manages to catch himself.

"You two will stay here until the king decides what to do with you," states the knight coldly, though Axel can hear a note of glee in his voice. Wait--two? "I suggest you two say your final prayers." With that, the door slams shut, the sound reverberating loudly throughout the tiny cell.

"Jeez, be a little more quiet, asshole!" Axel shouts as he hears the footsteps outside recede. He slumps once he can no longer hear them, turning towards his cellmate to say hello; he figures if they're going to die together, they may as well make acquaintances. But the moment he realizes who it is, he freezes.

"You?!" he sputters.

[ i actually didn't mean for this to get so long im so sorry LOL ]

plot with me! always open to

F1FD62F4F9AC1CF197FC4B3EE77545D78AC2282C

i'm kas/kasu! my pronouns are they/them, though i'll take he/him.

feel free to PM me to chat or plot even if we've never talked before!

i'm esp fond of b/b but i like g/g too!

please don't rush me on responses, i'll get there eventually. i make an effort to respond within twenty-four hours of your reply but executive dysfunction

• Caria Lovell

Time was inching by slower than a snail for the young woman. She was alone with her thoughts, her uncertainty, her anger. Perhaps she had never held any great love for the king, but she was loyal, hardworking, dutiful. Yet she was also replaceable. She had gone against the kings will and now she would be replaced. She doubted anyone would care that she was gone; the knights with whom she had served held no great love for her -she was a woman after all- and she had no family left that would care if she was executed for treason. Caria rolled her eyes. Here she was, moping in the corner, feeling sorry for her own stupid ass.

In a dark cell with no knowledge of what her fate would be, she didn't things could get any worse.

They could.

They did.

Caria looked up with a start when she heard voices outside the thick wooden door. They sounded somewhat distant, not to mention muffled by several inches of solid wood, but it seemed as though they were approaching. The scraping of the door latch proceeded a deep groan as the door was swung open and an unknown figure was shoved into the cell. "You two will stay here until the king decides what to do with you," a voice stated coldly. It sounded vaguely familiar, though Caria didn't know it well. "I suggest you two say your final prayers." Another deep groan sounded, followed by a resounding bang as the door was shut and locked once again.

Blinking her eyes to readjust them to the dark cell after the bright flash of torchlight in the hall, Caria scanned the dim room to locate her new cellmate. She was already dreading the interaction that was bound to come: after hearing his obnoxious comment toward his captor she had a feeling he was in just as bad a mood as her. Finally she located the other figure slumped over opposite her. As her gaze swept over him, her eyes locked with his, immediately leading her stomach to drop. She had to suppress a groan.

"You?!" He spluttered out, recognizing her as well. She immediately looked in the opposite direction, eyes boring into the stone wall to her right.

"Great. Fucking great." Her words were muttered but they were still clearly audible in the small cell. "Why the hell are you here?"

//yeah, I don't normally write quite this much ^^"

//by the way, I'm having a hard time coming up with a faceclaim for her, so I'll probably just have an in-depth description in her bio. (also I love Axel already)

R8dmbye.png

The post was edited 3 times, last by Liara ().

Axel takes a long moment to recollect himself, unable to say anything coherent. Last he'd checked, Caria was a competent, loyal knight who'd fall on her sword if the king asked her to, no questions asked. Given that she's been thrown into the same cell that he's been, apparently not! "Why the hell am I here?" he echoes incredulously once he's no longer making choking noises. "That's the question I should be asking you, not the other way around."

He sits down on the hard ground with annoyance, blowing strands of hair out of his face. His position is awfully awkward, given that he's got both his arms and legs bound. Taking a deep breath, Axel composes himself and answers Caria's question anyway. Nothing to lose at this point, right? "Got caught playing with magic," he grumbles mutinously, drawing magic circles in the thin film of dust that's settled on the ground. He can't activate them, not with his magic bound.

Looking up towards Caria, he cocks his head slightly, meeting her gaze boldly from across the room. "Gunna say I deserved it?" he asks, voice challenging and baring his teeth in a humorless smile that reveals sharp canines. He's got no idea about Caria's stance on mages and magic, but he does know that most knights have a less than positive one. Who knows? Maybe that'll change in the less than twenty-four hours they have confined together.

please don't rush me on responses, i'll get there eventually. i make an effort to respond within twenty-four hours of your reply but executive dysfunction

• Caria Lovell

Caught playing around with magic. Not a big surprise, seeing as Axel was a mage. But he was also stupid for getting caught doing something that blatantly illegal. Caria rolled her eyes, still choosing to bore holes into the wall rather than look at her cellmate. She had never gotten to know the man too well, but she had never liked him. He came off cocky, and it annoyed her to no end.

"Perhaps you did deserve it," the knight stated coldly, going against her better judgement in responding to Axel's question. "Why were playing around with magic somewhere you could get caught? You know it's illegal now, right?"

In a way she felt bad. Perhaps not for Axel, who had always succeeded in getting on her nerves, but for those who practiced magic peacefully, without impacting the people around them. Did they really need to be persecuted for something that brought no harm to others? Then again, she had heard the stories of some of the awful things that mages were capable of: the destruction they could wreak. At the time of the king's decision to outlaw magic she had been unsure how she felt about the matter, but she was loyal to him and would justify his actions no matter what she believed in her heart.

Now though -- now things could be different. She had betrayed him, hadn't she? Committed treason? In which case, should she really still trust what she believed in the past?

But right now her beliefs on magic and it's moral complexities weren't exactly the issue. She was stuck in a cell, and the time she had left was slowly ticking away. Caria shifted her weight so that she stood slightly more upright, and for a second her gaze darted toward the mage across the cell. He looked quite uncomfortable, and seeing the way he was forced to sit she felt relieved that she was not bound as he was.

R8dmbye.png

The post was edited 2 times, last by Liara ().

"It's just a saying," he snaps, reminded intensely of why he despises Caria again. They really hadn't known each other for all that long, but oh, man, did they leave impressions on each other. Or Caria did for Axel, at least, and it's not exactly positive. "You think I'm stupid enough to use magic somewhere I'd get my ass busted for it? Really?"

Axel glares at the ground where he can see the incomplete magic circle and angrily blows it away, the dust billowing into the air. "So the fucker who broke into my house gets away scott-free but I get thrown into jail and executed the following day for lighting a candle," he growls. "That's fair, ain't it?"

He sucks in a deep breath, holding it and then releasing it, feeling some of his rage dissipate with it as he closes his eyes. When he feels considerably calmer, he opens them again, gaze flickering back to the knight. She doesn't seem to have bindings on her, which Axel is slightly irritated about, but he figures they wouldn't have done it for him if he didn't have magic.

"You still haven't answered," Axel says after a moment. "What's a goody two shoes knight like you doing sharing a cell with evil little mage Axel?"

• Caria Lovell

Someone broke into his house? Caria was almost tempted to ask for the full story. She wondered if the invader had known of Axel's magic, and gone to catch him and turn him in. However, the mage's question to her was more pressing on her mind. She certainly wasn't a goody two shoes knight anymore, not after disobeying the king.

The blonde released a sigh, her gaze now tracing the stones of the floor a few feet in front of her. An awkward silence now hung in the air, and for a minute she simply let it sit there, the unanswered question still hovering over their heads.

"I disobeyed an order," she said finally. Her tone was different than it was before, calmer, almost defeated. She didn't go into detail about what the order was, she didn't want to, but she had answered the question the mage had asked.

"Oh?" Axel would be lying if he said he isn't curious, but he's not cruel enough to ask her for the details. They're not close--quite the opposite, actually--and while they're certainly "about to fucking die" buddies, he knows he doesn't have the right to ask her about what happened. Oh, well. He really doesn't care all that much.

A heavy silence falls between the two of them. Axel leans his head against the wall to stare at the ceiling which is, unfortunately, just as boring as the dirty floor he's sitting on. "Got any plans for our last day on earth?" he asks, tone darkly amused. Honestly, he's just surprised he isn't freaking out about his death. Maybe it just hasn't hit him yet. Or maybe he just doesn't want Caria to see him freak out. All he knows is that the moment the guillotine comes down, he'll be as dignified as ever.

• Caria Lovell

After Axel's questioning 'oh' she was worried that he would ask her about what happened. To her relief he simply let it go. As far as what she planned on doing knowing that she was very likely about to die, well, Caria was at a bit of a loss. Somewhere there was some small part of her that hoped, despite all reason, that she would be spared. That the king would forgive her, reinstate her knighthood, let her continue to serve. Yet she knew that was impossible. In fact, she wasn't even sure she wanted that. Did she really want to go back to serving someone who had issued an order she couldn't obey?

But she didn't want to die. She was relatively sure of that. Sure, she didn't have much to live for, but she wasn't the type to give up easily either. Caria's gaze flickered back to Axel once more. Last day on earth. She still wasn't sure she felt the entire gravity of the situation. It felt almost surreal, like this was just some stupid bad dream. It would certainly feel real once she was looking her executioner in the eye.

"Sit in this stupid cell and pretend like I'm not about to be executed by the king I serve?" She suggested, raising an eyebrow at the mage. Her tone was no longer annoyed, more sarcastic and joking than anything. Getting into a petty argument with Axel really wouldn't help things, and it certainly wouldn't make their last few hours more pleasant, so for once she decided to skip whatever annoyed-yet-creative way of saying shut up she would normally have in store.

Axel gives a surprised laugh at Caria's unexpected joke. And here he'd thought she wasn't capable of doing such a thing. "Sounds like a plan," he snorts, shifting a little despite himself. It's awfully uncomfortable, jeez. He grins a little, red-eyed gaze settling back on the knight. Maybe they won't spend their last few hours completely miserable in each other's company. Arguing is just a waste of energy, after all.

"Or we could do something more productive, like breaking out," he adds, only half joking. He knows it's a stupid idea, but it's not like the two of them have anything to lose at this point. What's gunna happen to them if they get caught? Execution? Oh, right, that's already happening! Axel laughs again. "Not like we'd get far, anyway. I've got no magic, you've got no weapons, and we'd be up against the king."

• Caria Lovell

Breaking out. The knight hadn't even really thought about the possibility of doing so. Of course, when she was in the cell alone the feat would have been utterly impossible, stupid to even consider. But now, perhaps with Axel's help, it would be possible. With Axel's help. Gross. Perhaps she was capable of cracking a sarcastic joke or two, and able to stop herself from getting into a petty argument, but that did not mean that she wanted to work with him. He still annoyed her to no end after all.

But at this point, breaking out was their only chance of survival. She stared at Axel for a few seconds, lost in thought, before her eyes drifted to the wall opposite her. She gazed at the wall intensely for a few moments. He was right, what did they have to lose? As much as she hated to admit it she was quite certain they were going to be executed, one for use of magic the other for treason. Their choices were simple: sit by and be killed, or at least try to make it out of here alive.

"It's at least worth contemplating," Caria stated at last. Her mind was slowly running through the area around them, pulling up a mental map of the dungeons that they were now housed in. Of course, they would need to escape the cell first.

Finally Caria pulled her eyes away from the ever fascinating stone wall. "How would you propose we get out of this cell?" She asked, her tone turning to something that resembled diplomatic. She knew he had only been half serious with the suggestion, and he was correct when he stated just how unfortunate their circumstances were, but now the gears were churning in her head. Perhaps they could get out.

//I should really head to bed, It's 2:30 am. I'll reply in the morning!

[ pff same here. sleep well! ]

She's taking it seriously. Holy shit. Axel blinks in surprise, cocking his head a little. Well. Something may actually happen, then. "Not that I hold any hope of it actually happening, of course, but..." He shrugs. "It'll be an entertaining topic to discuss, anyway."

He casts a shifty glance towards the door. It's unlikely that anyone can hear much clearly through the thick wooden door, and given that nobody's tried to stop them, Axel hazards the guess that there's nobody outside listening to them talk. Careless on their part, Axel supposes, but then again, Axel hasn't heard of a single successful escape attempt from execution.

"Well, if you want any hope of us getting out..." He raises his bound hands to point at his feet. "I can barely even walk with these, and I've got my magic suppressed. Seriously, they used some pretty powerful stuff on me. I couldn't get my hands on material half this quality." Axel shakes his head; he's getting sidetracked. "Anyway, first order of business would be to get rid of at least these, unless you're willing to carry me."

Wouldn't that be a sight to see? Axel finds the thought of Caria princess carrying him pretty amusing, actually, though if she actually did end up carrying him, it'd likely be more like a sack of potatoes. "You'd finally get a pretty princess to rescue," he jokes. "But getting rid of the ropes would probably be more helpful. I don't have my staff right now, but I don't need it to perform spells."

• Caria Lovell

Caria let out a short snort of laughter, more an exhilaration of breath through her nose than a real laugh. Carry him. Right, because her chances of survival would surely increase if she ran around lugging an obnoxious mage over her shoulder.

With a sigh the woman rolled her shoulders back before pushing off against the wall behind her so that she was no longer leaning against it. She then turned toward Axel, still sitting bound on the floor, and swept her gaze her his bonds. His hands would probably the best thing to tackle, seeing as his feet appeared to be chained, which something she couldn't exactly fix.

"I can attempt to untie your hands," she said, now examining the rope around his wrist from a distance. "But I have nothing to cut the rope with, so it may take some time."

Though she didn't really need his consent to start trying to untie the ropes, they had already both agreed to an escape attempt, she still hesitated. She had never gotten along well with the mage, and she had no great wish to be in close proximity with him. She knew it was rather stupid to waste time here, they were marching toward their deaths with each passing minute, but she paused nonetheless. Stop being an idiot she told herself, he couldn't even perform magic yet, and she needed him to get out of this place. Finally she stepped toward him, nearing enough that she could better make out the fashion in which the rope had been tied.

Axel holds out his tied hands, letting Caria see and figure out a way to tackle it, but he can see the distrust in her eyes. "I'm not going to kill you with my magic," he sighs, rolling his eyes. She's still uncomfortably close, though. "Jeez, I know you hate my guts--the sentiment is very much reciprocated!--but one, I'm not that shitty a person, and two, we're kinda relying on each other."

He stretches his arms out as far as he can so they only have to be as close as strictly necessary. "I don't think they did that great a job," he comments, his tone turning more serious. "They grabbed me and tied me up, but didn't really bother trying to fix it later. Or maybe the knight who caught me just has lots of practice tying people up. Hell if I know about what kinda kinky shit he's into."

But seriously, Axel's beginning to wonder about this whole situation. Have the king and his knights simply become way too arrogant? Throwing two people in the same cell, one of which is a mage, the other unbound... not exactly a great idea. He's certainly not complaining, but if this is how prisoners who are to be executed are treated, he's wondering just how nobody's broken out yet.

• Caria Lovell

Finally the woman crouched down, moving to tackle the knotted rope. For the most part she ignored Axel's words, seeing as he was spouting off about the knight who tied him and some innuendo or other. She couldn't believe that she was going to have to rely on him to help get her out of this mess.

Simply rolling her eyes in response to the mage, Caria examined his bindings closely. He was right about the knot, it appeared to have been tied rather quickly, but it was also tight, and enough of a mess to make her head ache. She set to work quickly, fingers tracing over the knot as she located the end and searched for any possible loose spots.

"This is going to be a pain in my ass," the female muttered quietly, now quite focused on the task ahead. Still, she was annoyingly aware of the mage's close proximity, and hoped to finish untying him quickly so she could return to a safe bubble of personal space. There was no way she would carry him.

Finding the end of the rope, she began to pry at the knot with her fingernails, hoping to loosen it enough to start untying. As she worked her mind wandered slightly. Never had she dreamed that she would end up in a situation like this. All her life she had wanted to be a knight. It ran in her family, and from a very young age she had been determined to uphold the Lovell name. Her father had been a pillar of loyalty and justice, seemingly untouchable, and she had worked every day in hopes she would one day become a fraction of the knight he was. She had trained hard, proven herself over and over again to show that she was fit to become a knight, fought alongside the other protectors of their kingdom. But all of the was gone now. Now she had to start from scratch, that was if they even managed to get out of here, and who knew whether or not they would be allowed to exist after they escaped. For all she knew they could be hunted down and dragged back to their deaths.

Caria shook herself mentally. She needed to focus. So far she had only just managed to get the first part of the knot loose, and they were short on time.

//hey, should we kinda establish what happened when they used to work together? Like if something specific happened to make them hate each other? (besides just generally annoying the heck out of each other).

[ i think it'd be hilarious if it was just something. super minor that happened but they both blew it waaay out of proportion. and it happened like, six years ago, so why are you still hung up on it???

or maybe they met when axel was like, fourteen-sixteen? he used to be super angry and somehow they got into an actual fight or something. and they just. never let it go. and they pass each other in the street occasionally and just glare at each other so their relationship just never got better. ]

"You think?" Axel grumbles, his fingers twitching as Caria carefully begins working on the knot. "These actually hurt, jeez." The chafing and lack of circulation are a pain, quite literally. But the worst part of it all is just Caria's proximity. He's resisting the urge to shove her away; he's not great with unwanted contact with his friends. It being Caria makes it a billion times worse.

He's sorely tempted to make a crack about them not exactly having all day, but he holds his tongue, letting Caria focus on the knot. Messing with her is only going to make her even more likely to stab him when--if--they get out, given that she probably won't need him at that point anymore. Axel holds as still as possible, more for his own sake than hers. While the knot may have been sloppily tied, despite Axel flexing at the time so the rope would be looser, the knight hadn't spared him any pain, mercilessly pulling it tight, so any movement while Caria's untying him is going to rub hard against his wrists.

• Caria Lovell

//I think it would be funny if it's something they both blew way out of proportion. Then after that every little thing they did got on each others nerves, so their relationship just went completely down the drain

Caria was relieved that her own hands had not been bound. Part of that probably had to do with the fact that she went rather peacefully. Sure, she was incredibly pissed at the whole situation, but she wasn't the type to kick and scream her way to prison. She had already known when she had chosen to disobey the king's orders that she would be thrown into a cell for treason, so trying to fight back was rather pointless.

The knot was starting to come loose now. After a good amount of tugging she had been able to unwind one of the more difficult parts of the mess of rope. Tugging at the one end of the rope, she felt a sense of relief as it slipped through the small loop she had opened up. She didn't look up when Axel made his comment about the bindings hurting, it wasn't all that surprising, but she hadn't really considered just how uncomfortable he must also be. Still, she wasn't about to go around and feel sorry for him. He was obnoxious, he drove her crazy, and if he couldn't handle a little bit of pain then he was going to be all the more annoying to work with.

With one last tug, probably a little harder than it needed to be, the rope came free. Quickly unwinding the length that had been wrapped around the mage's wrist, Caria took a quick step back, taking the rope with her.

"There," she said, retreating to the other side of the small cell. Now that he was free, and could presumably perform magic, she wasn't exactly sure what was going to happen. Of course, they still needed a plan, but she didn't have enough knowledge of what the mage could do to start formulating one.

Axel huffs as the ropes finally come free; Caria's definitely putting way more force into it than she needs to, but he makes no real comment on it, too preoccupied with the sudden rush of magic through his veins again. He doesn't even pay much attention to the chafe-marks or the prickling sensation of his blood circulating again or the way Caria backs away. Having your magic stripped away is... it's kind of like losing a part of you. You don't need it to keep moving on, but god it feels gross.

"I am never doing that again," he says as he brings his finger up to mouth, sinking his sharp canines into the pad of the digit to draw blood. It wells up and he swiftly draws a magic circle on the chains around his ankles. It glows faintly before a sharp cracking noise fills the room and the chains split, freeing him.

Picking himself up off the ground, Axel takes one half of the snapped chain and heads for the wooden door. "My turn," he says cheerfully, taking the sharp end and sinking it into the wood that makes up the door. He's just thankful it isn't made of something harder; Axel would hate to have to cut his hand open to draw a circle out of blood. And hey, since it's wood, it burns. Axel very much likes that.

It isn't too long before Axel's etched out a rough magic circle on the wood. While under normal circumstances he'd just blast the thing with fire, Caria's still in here and though they may not have the most amicable of relationships, he's not about to roast and toast her. "Alright, it's about to get hot in here," he mutters as a warning before shoving his magic into the crudely crafted circle.

There's a glow, and then the wooden door is aflame. Within seconds, it's reduced to mere ashes; Axel had used one of his more powerful circles for this one. "Well, that's step one," he remarks, even as he can hear loud, clinking footsteps outside. "I guess step two is... run like hell?"

• Caria Lovell

Caria watched in silence as Axel proceeded to break his chains and move toward the heavy cell door. Unsure of what he was planning, her steel grey eyes tracked his movements closely as he carved some sort of circular rune into the wooden boards. What was he about to do? She shifted her weight uneasily, unsure if she should say anything. Then he spoke again. About to get hot? What was he going to do, set the door on fire?

Apparently, he was. The woman took a surprised step back, just managing not to stumble on the rough stones beneath her feet, as the door suddenly burst into flames. She stared, heat radiating off the burning wood, as the door that held them was reduced to nothing but ash. Peeling her eyes away from the embers, she stared at Axel. He hadn't exactly paused to consult her about their currently unformed plan, and now that their door was destroyed they wouldn't have much time to act.

The footsteps outside were definitely growing louder, and Caria moved quickly to the now empty doorway to peer out into the torch lit hall. There seemed to be several guards approaching. They had probably seen the flaming door and were now wondering what the hell was going on. Staying put certainly wasn't an option, but they couldn't fight the guards either. Luckily she knew the lay of the castle well. Casting her eyes toward the other end of the hall, she saw that the path was clear.

"This way," she said, glancing one last time at the approaching guards before stepping into the corridor. "Run!" Immediately after exiting the room she took off down the hall. Normally she would have opted for a quiet escape, but there was no way to exit without being spotted. Luckily for them there was a stairwell at the end of the corridor which led to the upper levels of the dungeon. Of course, there would be more guards up there, but if they got lucky said guards would all be together at the other end of the dungeon playing dice.

Run, she says. Axel can do that. He takes off after Caria, bolting down the hallway even as he hears confused and panicked shouts from the knights behind them. While he's not nearly as fast as Caria is, he's still faster than the knights behind them; they're weighed down by their armor. Evidently Caria knows her way around the place; she is a knight, after all. Or ex-knight. Whatever.

Axel chances a glance behind him at the knights still chasing after them as they approach the stairwell, his heartbeat a loud drum in his ears. There're likely going to be more prison guards upstairs, which means they're going to be sandwiched between two sets unless... Once he and Caria are at the top of the stairwell, he makes a wide sweeping motion, and black fire erupts on the stairs, hungrily licking up the walls. He can feel the near immediate dip in his magic stores but he ignores it; those flames don't need anything flammable to burn, but they'll die in a few minutes.

Hopefully that'll be enough.

"That should buy us a couple of minutes," he pants, picking up the pace to catch up to Caria. He's not nearly as fit as she is, which isn't a surprise, but he can still last a bit. "Anything I should know beforehand?"