We're gonna light up the world (open, late intro)

The winners for the June Spotlight Contest are: Writing is Goldie! and art is Officer495!
The July Spotlight Contest is up and running! You have until July 31st to enter.
Come check out our Gatherings! Medic, Official, and Leader!
  • Larkwing didn't like sappy things. Nor did she like feelings. She tried to keep them down but at times, she couldn't.

It was around the time her parents died. They died both died in Greenleaf and Larkwing could never shake the sadness every time it came by. Her dad died before she was born. Her mom and everyone that knew him said he would have been a great father. Her mom died two greenleafs ago by a snake bite at the sunning rocks.

As Larkwing stared into the distance, she remembered what he mom said before she died. 'Don't let the bad things get you down.' But that was hard. Not letting something as big as this bother you was something even Larkwing couldn't do.

After staring at the sky for a little while longer, she decided to use that advice and do something. Anything. The problem was what. She couldn't think of anything.

giphy.gif

• Contrary to the warrior, Peachpaw loved sappy things - the sappier the better! Oh, the feelings! Right! Well, barring the ever-useful tree sap, she did indeed appreciate love breezing through the air. It made everyone very pleasant and happy, so much so that the cat didn't even feel sad she would never have that for herself. Medicine cats being forbidden to take mates, Peachpaw had made her peace with being alone forever with the whole clan as her kits. She hoped it would only remain as such in the future.

The gullible apprentice, emerging from the medicine den with a light yawn, found her soft gaze falling on Larkwing, she smiled and skipped over. "Hello, Larkwing!" greeted she, coming to a halt before her and sitting down promptly with her tail over her paws. "Beautiful day, isn't it?" Her tone was wistful, watching the few clouds roll by among a sea of pale blue.

— lay me down on a bed of roses

mca of thunderclan — played by: amy

• She looked in the direction of the voice to find Peachpaw sitting next to her. She smiled. She didn't talk to a lot of cats and many didn't approach her either. It was a nice change. The young medicine cat apprentice was a complete opposite of Larkwing.

Following Peachpaw's gaze, she found herself staring at the clouds making their way through the sky. "Ya. It's beautiful." She just wished she wasn't so sad. The day would be better.

She looked back to the ground and sighed. Larkwing knew she couldn't go on like this ever Greenleaf. There had to be a change. But what?

giphy.gif

• A certain lack of spirit was noted in Larkwing's tone, causing the snow-pelted she-cat to tilt her head lightly. Watching her carefully, she pressed gently, "Is everything alright?" The warrior seemed down. Peachpaw felt for her, truly. Perhaps if it was depression plaguing her, or something only to last a short while, there was an herb she could use to mellow out the negative feelings.

• The tone in Peachpaw's voice was kind and gentle, not nosey like most cats who just want some gossip. Larkwing felt a certain sense of safety and love from the apprentice. She was going to make a great medicine cat one day with that attitude.

Looking at the apprentice, she didn't really explain the whole my parents died during Greenleaf so I'm sad deal. She really didn't like cats feeling bad for her because it brought them down as well. "Greenleaf reminds me of my parents." She looked wistfully at the sky wishing they were looking down at her right now.

"So Peachpaw, how are you liking being a medicines cat?" Larkwing decided to change the subject.

giphy.gif

• It was common knowledge she spoke with the intelligence of a much older cat. Truthfully, Peachpaw didn't know where it came from. Half the time, she was plagued with memories and knowledge that was not her own, which only brought her confusion and discomfort. Unbeknownst to her, she was actually the reincarnation of Daisystem, a once-beloved warrior of the clan who had dreams of being a medicine cat but was pulled towards the life of a warrior instead. She was never able to find her true calling, so she had been rebirthed as Peachkit, who was then apprenticed under Creambounce to fulfill the dreams she'd never been able to in her own life.

So when Larkwing spoke of her parents, a softness came over her, understanding she should not say any more on the matter. It was far too fragile a subject. Instead, she allowed the subject change, replying with a smile, "Oh, I love it! Creambounce is a marvelous teacher! Honestly, there's so much he knows, it makes me wonder if I'll ever be able to fit it all in my head..." Peachpaw gave a light laugh at her words, golden eyes dancing as she gazed towards Larkwing.

• Larkwing had known the apprentice for a while now. She knew that Peachpaw was much more mature than she looked. On the outside, she was a normal fun loving apprentice but when she talked to you, you would never expect that to come out of an apprentice.

"For goodness sakes Peachpaw. Your the smartest apprentice I know and maybe one of the smartest cats. Creambounce and Doestar picked you to be the medicine cat apprentice because they knew you could do it. And one day, I know you will be a great medicine cat." She was happy that Peachpaw figured out her future at such a young age. Larkwing still didn't know what she was meant to do. She didn't like being a regular warrior. It wasn't that she didn't like the clan and their ways, it was just that she strived to be more. Oh well, she should just be happy about the life she was giving. It was a good one.

"Hey, do you notice that the heat is getting really bad these days? I'm worried that the river will dry up." The heat was getting more and more intense. It drove the prey away and sometimes, Larkwing wished she could bury herself in her den too.

giphy.gif

• A gentle purr rumbled in the white cat's throat, blushing lightly and aiming to rub her cheek against Larkwing's shoulder in thanks. "That's really sweet of you. Thank you," smiled Peachpaw, heart warming as she thought of Creambounce and Foreststar. When the subject then changed to the heat, however, she nodded with a faint frown. "I've noticed too. I do like the warm sunshine days, but you're right. At this rate, we might have to worry about fires starting." She shifted, obviously uncomfortable with the idea but knowing ThunderClan territory didn't have enough major rivers to prevent such a thing from happening.

• She felt like the sun radiated heat off of her brown pelt. "Fires aren't the only thing we need to worry about. The prey is becoming scarse. Lets just hope no Thunderclanner goes astray." Larkwing liked food. There was usually lots of it during Greenleaf. After a Leafbare of food shortage, she hoped there would be more prey. She also didn't like the thought of a fellow clanmate running off and stealing food from another clan. "Do you have to worry about illnesses during this heat?"

giphy.gif

• Her whiskers twitched at the words, realizing Larkwing was right. Prey would hide in their burrows if it was too hot out, trying to minimize their exposure to sun. They wouldn't travel far for food, leaving clan cats searching for prey that refused to be caught. It would become terribly troublesome. Frowning in worry to herself, she started at the brown tabby's next words, nodding in response. "A form of it, yes. It's possible for cats to get heat sick, which can actually lead to death and is as serious as greencough. It isn't a traditional form of sickness, but it should be taken just as seriously because it's very dangerous." Unfortunately, too many cats passed it off as a little sun and it was too late by the time medicine cats tried to save them. Peachpaw herself would be keeping a special eye out for cats who appeared sluggish and too-pink.

• Peachpaw's words confirmed that there were more things to worry about this Greenleaf. It would not be a easy time. "Yikes. I just wish I could help." Larkwing didn't know what to do to help everyone. Hopefully, they wouldn't need her help. "How long is this going to last. I honestly hope it only lasts a few days." The longer the drought goes on, the worse the clans get.

giphy.gif

• As Larkwing's concerned tone offered to help, Peachpaw piped in, "Actually, if you wouldn't mind making sure any warriors out hunting or patrolling are staying cool while out, that would be a big help! Even take dips in the river to cool down if you need!" She nodded in agreement as the warrior voiced her hopes for a quick green-leaf. Unfortunately, it wouldn't be that easy. Green-leaf lasted many seasons, and ThunderClan would no doubt be in peril if this continued.

• For goodness sake, this apprentice knew more than she did. Not that Larkwing was that smart but Peachpaw was way beyond her years. "I'll keep that in mind. It would help tremendously. Thanks Peachpaw." She was noticing now that recent patrols have come more tired and fatigued than usual. "Say, do you need any herbs? I'm really up to do something. I can even help sort." Larkwing hated sitting still. Even in this heat, Larkwing was determined to help her clan and keep moving.

giphy.gif

• She smiled at the offer, rising to her paws with a light stretch to wake up her muscles. "Oh, that would be lovely! Usually around this time, we need to stock up on dock and chervil, so if you could help me out with those, that would be great! I want to take back lots for Creambounce!" Undoubtedly, they would use it all. Dryness meant cracked pads and sores, which was where dock came in. Green-leaf caused over-eating, which led to stomach aches. In this instance, lack of eating could also cause upset, so she figured they would need the chervil either way. Not to mention some strengthening herbs. If this heat kept up, she wanted to make sure her Clanmates didn't get sick.

• As the apprentice rose to stretch herself out, Larkwing followed. She hadn't been out the entire day. It would be nice to also see if she could catch as mouse. "Sure. That is, if you could tell me what they look like." Larkwing kinda blurred over that lesson. She didn't find the use in knowing any herbs back then but now she kind of regrets it.

giphy.gif

• "Well," Yew began with a grin "I don't know about you guys, but sounds like Peachpaw is learning quite a bit already. You're going to make a fine medicine cat."

Yewstain sat with the two felines, happy to listen in on medicine. It wasn't something he had ever understood, really. Why did one leaf have a different effect than the other? He had no idea, and he certainly wasn't book-smart enough to figure it out. It was a interesting topic to him, one of the few things he enjoyed in-depth discussions with. So the tom was more than happy to pop in on the conversation.

• though the unending heat that lay like a heavy wool blanket over the clan may have dampened the spirits of those around her, coyotepaw was still up and at 'em like there was no tomorrow. which was her philosophy in a way; to live like every day might be your last so you don't regret it later for what you didn't do. she thought of this in a more abstract way of course, but the principle remains the same.

speaking of, the little devil herself was practically dragged into camp by buzzardheart, both of whom were soaked (but it was likely that she had done the soaking in her mentor's case) and their fur still dripped river water a bit. dirt now clung to them like fleas to an elder's backside, dulling the white of her fur till she almost looked like an ugly mottled dog, but she didn't seem to mind it at all. yet buzzardheart certainly appeared rather disgruntled and roughly began grooming the excess water and dirt from his usually pristine pelt. edging away from him, a triumphant grin baring her fangs as she bee-lined straight for peachpaw and the others to shield herself from his baleful gaze.

placing herself beside the medicine cat apprentice who just so happened to be her bestest friend in all of the clans, she leaned up against the pale white fem, damp, grimy pelt and all. she purposefully threw a foreleg over her back and rubbed her face along peachpaw's neck and cheek not even trying to mask her grin. her mentor glanced up at his apprentice, having taken his eyes off of her for a few moments and came back to this, this absolute mess. with a mollified expression he loudly barked out a (admittedly useless) reprimand and threatened her with cleaning out the elders' den and dealing with their ticks and fleas. grimacing upon how thick he had laid it, she reluctantly released the now-not-so-pale apprentice and flashed him the pink of her tongue before settling down a bit.

paying more head to the conversation she had just interrupted so boldly, she spread her maw into a grin and spoke as though she had not just done that, "what's everybody up to? did ya have a good day, peachy?" how she dealt with this upstart nobody really knew.

• Oh! Of course! Grinning at the prompt from Larkwing, she explained, "So, dock has big, luscious leaves that give it a bush-like appearance. It'll be easy to identify once you've seen it once. And chervil is fern-like with tiny pinkish-white flowers. We'll need both leaves and roots from that one." She opened her jaws to give more, which likely only would have confused the warrior, when Yewstain approached with her own input, causing Peachpaw to blush lightly. Still, a warm smile lined her muzzle as she gazed at the warrior, inviting, "Would you like to join us, Yew?" She always did like more company.

Speaking of which, the pure white apprentice gasped, jumping lightly as a damp pelt suddenly joined her own, soaking half her fur and rising up her neck. Whipping her head around, a mischievous grin spread over her maw and she laughed heartily. Unable to pretend to glare at her best friend, Peachpaw shook her head and stuck out her tongue immaturely, giving her pelt a couple of licks before giving up and deciding the coolness of the water was welcome in the current heat. "Pup!" she purred, bumping Coyotepaw playfully, answering her question pleasantly, "We were just going to go herb hunting, did you want to come?" If she was there, she knew her bestie would likely want to tag along as well. Everything was better with a friend, after all!

• Larkwing nodded. Dock is a leafy bush and chervil and a pink and white fern. That sounded right to her. They were about to leave when Yewstrain and Coyotepaw came by. "She's getting better everyday." Larkwing definitely agreed Yewstrain. "Hello Coyotepaw. Of course! You two should join us! The more the merrier. And the more herbs we can carry."

giphy.gif

• the girl felt her smile part but knew better than to laugh at peachy too much, a giggle peeling from her open maw, pale teeth gleaming. she tucked in her chin, lifting a forepaw to try and mask her expression in vain, but was left with a childish grin as her soft laughter faded. "peachy!" she replied in kind to her own affectionate nickname, warmth blossoming under her fur as the medicine cat apprentice rubbed damp pelt against damp pelt. tail lifting as she was offered the chance to hang out with her gal pal, a much more vibrant smile laced her maw and her ears pricked, "of course i do! who do you take me for, huh!" leaning against her in return, though only for a few moments, she then turned to pad off towards where ol buzzardbutt was sulking.

"hey, do ya mind if i go gather herbs with peachpaw?" she questioned, almost pleading, her eyes gleaming hopefully, yet pressed on and cut him off quickly- "i promise i'll clean out the elders and pick off their fleas tomorrow, so please?" exasperated, the brown tabby huffed and rolled his (damp) shoulders as he gave her the okay, to which she responded with a rushed headbutt before trotting back to the group, her toothy grin telling all.